Page 5 of 12 [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next

Kelby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2017, 7:14 pm

I like these Tiny Desk Concerts. This is the entire Christian Scott Concert (I think I had posted a single piece, previously). This is some of the best Jazz I have ever experienced, and, he is my favorite Trumpeter. He spends a few minutes, speaking about his background and the styles that have influenced their music, but, if you don't mind that (I find it of interest), I highly recommend the entire performance. It is excellent!

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2017, 11:02 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwkiXnk9NcY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxpwfnb9ag0

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Kelby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2017, 11:53 pm

Kelby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2017, 12:00 am

Thanks, again, for your thoughtfulness/posting the links under the videos, EW. I sincerely appreciate your efforts. I haven't had an issue since that evening, in case you'd prefer to refrain from posting the links. : )

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2017, 1:32 am

It's no effort :-) - I just hit CTRL-V twice, and put the Youtube BBCode around the first copy of the link.

Here are a couple nice things from South Africa: I was in Cape Town (on business for my European employer) the year Mandela became president, and actually got to see Winston Mankunku Ngozi performing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui13G1qV34I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt-rlAHEE0M

(edit in: nice tiny desk concert! that is a wonderful series. Count Basic is an Austrian jazz band - except for their singer, who is from New York. Go figure. Also, Robert Glasper is brilliant :-) )

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2017, 5:09 am

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2017, 5:16 am

I love the Bheki Mseleku post. Thanks for posting :) Now to continue my journey back through the thread.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2017, 12:29 pm

^^ Sadly, neither he nor Mr. Mankunku are with us anymore, but they both lived to see Mr. Mandela freed and elected.

I'll put up some more of his work - after I go get some Claude Bolling/Jean-Pierre Rampal (before I forget, and assuming I can find it).

Meanwhile here's something else that I don't have on CD, so I had to rack my memory for the title. Youtube had it, though. Give it about 30 seconds to be what it really is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikJ7C0iJKkY

And something else from Mr. Bromberg that I *do* have on CD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGiEg8S9tpg

Last edited by Esmerelda Weatherwax on 30 Dec 2017, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2017, 12:44 pm

Bolling/Rampal, classically influenced jazz, if you're not familiar with it already. I have four of these CDs and recommend every one of them.

This is the first of them, for some reason full CD not available, so here it is live. Not to be pernickety, but the correct title for this one is Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano Trio, if you want it (Amazon has).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT6c6dXDzpw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZnpqQzEkBM

Kelby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2017, 3:01 pm

Esmerelda Weatherwax wrote:
Here are a couple nice things from South Africa: I was in Cape Town (on business for my European employer) the year Mandela became president, and actually got to see Winston Mankunku Ngozi performing.

(edit in: nice tiny desk concert! that is a wonderful series. Count Basic is an Austrian jazz band - except for their singer, who is from New York. Go figure. Also, Robert Glasper is brilliant :-) )

I enjoyed both artists (particularly, the Winston Mankunku Ngozi piece), neither of whom I'd been familiar with. Thanks for the introduction. What an experience your trip must have been, historically speaking (and otherwise, of course)!

Thank you for the Count Basic information! I'm pleased to know you enjoyed Robert Glasper. I have been listening to him and Christian Scott in the mornings, while getting myself out the door. Their music has such a powerful effect on me and my day! It's pretty amazing how music can be so impactful. Some music effects me so intensly, that I literally, have to refrain from listening to it, at certain times, as I can become completely and utterly entranced by it. I've gone off topic.

...still catching up on posts... Thanks, again, Esmerelda !

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2017, 3:26 pm

^^ Not off topic at all. Music is my drug of choice, and I've known that nearly all my life. :-)

Kelby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2018, 2:20 pm

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2018, 6:34 pm

^^ Oh, fantastic! :-) Thank you.

Kelby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2018, 6:40 pm

You're welcome! Glad you enjoyed! :)

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2018, 7:35 pm

And how could I post South African jazz without Hugh Masekela!! ! So here is his best known US hit.

Oh jeez. Just stumbled across this! Pastorius, covering a Cannonball Adderly hit... Mercy, Mercy, Mercy.

Last edited by Esmerelda Weatherwax on 01 Jan 2018, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2018, 7:41 pm

Art Pepper Ophelia