Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

The Dinosaur Man
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

Location: Libraries, Museums, or even in a Galaxy Far, Far Away...

22 Nov 2016, 9:29 am

I've been wondering whether to post a few segments of creative writings on here, but I'm not sure. I've bee on Wattpad before and found it very frustrating and intimidating in a way. You see some of these stories and they have these big flash fancy covers, most of the plots are one of several, usually very clichéd and stereotyped, and I also don't like the format your work takes, it looks 'unprofessional' and I feel my work in particular (not sure about anyone else's) loses some of its impact if the layout is changed, if certain fonts are removed, paragraph spacing, and how you have like 12 sentences on one page.

I'd like it to upload and be presented like it was a digital book, like a kindle or any of the other e-book devices. I'm leaning more towards not to, however, as this is a forum for conversation, not feedback and reviews. So, that being the case, anyone know of any alternate sites which are decent, easy to navigate and elegant? I mean in the sense of no pop-up ads or kangaroos asking for your bank details?

Thanks folks :)

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2016, 6:37 pm

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 7:14 am

I'll be honest here, if your story loses its quality because of the fonts you have to use, it's not ready to be shown to anyone anyway. I use WattPad, and it's where my biggest audience is. It's definitely worthwhile, but it's also a lot of work. You have to make sure you stand out amidst the millions of other free stories. You can do that by posting in the forums, making friends, and critiquing other peoples' stories (nicely!). And the best part is, you're right about how many stories on there are cliche piles of garbage. That means that if your story is original and well written, once people hear about it they'll swarm to it. Some of my stories have been up there for two or three years, and I'm still getting new readers on them! Good lucky out there!

Last bumped by The Dinosaur Man on 27 Feb 2018, 7:14 am.