Autsm Fiction, what do you think of it?

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

boosterjones
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jan 2011, 9:56 am

In my time (as I have stated in the past) I've known more than a few Aspies and Auties.

Now, many people (NT or otherwise) only know about us thanks to works of fiction (eg the movie Rainman) and although it's wonderful to see that there are those who take the time to write books about fictional Aspies (and/or Auties) there is only one thing that bothers me...

Quite often, you'll find that inspite of all of hard work that the authors take into looking into the subject on how many of us think and act, I've seen (in most of the books I've read) that hardly anyone, has done a book about a highly sheltered Aspie man (or woman, as that may put another angle on the story) who suddlenly finds him/herself out in the 'big bad world' (as they say) and must fend for themselves.

Yes I've seen books that focus on plots that may be alittle bit similer but not one about a 'happy aspie/autie' as they do exist (I'm one of them) yes I know that it's hard to write about happiness (and hold the attention of most readers) but surely the story could start with the hero/heroine having (as I have said) a happy life and then afterwords, the real meaty stuff can begin...

Also, stories about kids with AS and Autism, why are so many of them about them being bullied (and the like) I know that this kind of thing does happen a lot, but why not have a tale about a kid how 'lash's out' at them so much the he (kind of) becomes a 'bully'

As a child I done more or less the same kind of thing, and I know (personaly not just on the net) two others who have done this...

Lastly I know that most of us are surposed to be male (but I think that there are a lot more females with AS and mild Autism than we think there are, as it's well known that they can mask it so well that no one realises it) but why are so many (perticully with regards to ones about children) stories about people with AS and Autism about boys and men? I know that there are a few stories about female Aspies and Auties as I'm sure that one could tell a really good tale about one.

As it happens I tend to get on better with them than many males that I know on the spectrum as the majoraty of the ones I know in person are far clamer and less likely to be dielibrately rude of offenive if I mistakenly chesse them off, I may be speaking for only a slecet few, but that's my speaking of the ones I know, most of the male Aspies (and Auties) I know I'm fine with, maybe a little blunt at times (from time to time it happens with the girls too) but I'm fine with that.

May I add that I get along well with many NT's as well, but I think that it would be a good idea to write a tale about a few friends with AS, who frist meet at spehel ed and then continue their freindships thoughout adult hood, rather than just write about 'loners' all the time..

Just a few ideas I have lately and I was thinking if anyone would like them if they are good ones maybe I'll work on one or two of them sometime

Goodbye Till next Time