Aspie-esque character in Sidney Sheldon novel .

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 3:53 pm

I am now reading , the late , Sidney Sheldon's 1990 novel , MEMORIES OF MIDNIGHT .
( A sequel to his earlier THE OTHER SIDE OF MIDNIGHT . )
The novel , I guess set in the post-WWII late40s/early 50s , has a character who comes across as Aspie .
I don't know whether Sheldon intended this or not .
It is a character called Wim Vadeen , who " remembered everything he had ever seen or heard or read " , an " eccentric " with no apparent interest in social interaction . The heroine hopes to draw him out of himself , sensing that he does want more social interaction .
When a subject is brought up , he recited the encylopedia-style facts about it .
He is working at an office , in London , where an evil Greek multi-millionaire shipping tycoon who wants to kill the heroine , but at his own speed , has sent her to work , in fabulous , well-paid , luxury , while he prepares to do his evil deed . ( This is a Sidney Sheldon novel , after all ! :P )
I rather hope that he turns out to be good ! !! !! !! !!

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Apr 2008, 5:38 pm

I read that book, and I thought the same thing! He also has two other novels, where a character comes across Aspie-ish. One is in The Doomsday Conspiracy, and one other. I can't remember the title, but there was a guy who was really good with computers, and figured out that according to his calculations, something terrible was going to happen. But he did nothing about it, because he had had the satisfaction of figuring it out, and didn't feel anything about the people involved.