Accepting too many red flags

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2019, 3:34 am

I'm talking about people treating you badly and making you feel like crap, massive mood swings that leave you walking on eggshells so you don't trigger them, silent treatment instead of conflict resolution, not ,"Oh he can't drive, he's a no." "Oh she can't cook, she's a no." "He keeps leaving the dishes out, he's a no." "She doesn't pluck her eyebrows, she's a no."

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Oct 2019, 3:49 am

hurtloam wrote:
I'm talking about people treating you badly and making you feel like crap, massive mood swings that leave you walking on eggshells so you don't trigger them, silent treatment instead of conflict resolution
My girlfreind has all these issues but I think these things are fairly common with autism. Some go selectively mute when upset which may look like giving the silent treatment. We're also prone to meltdowns which can seem like massive mood swings. We sometimes inadvertently make our partners feel like cr@p sometimes due to us having a different love language.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2019, 5:36 am

I can't live with that. I had parents like that and I was miserable.

I live on my own now and I'm free and I have peace... al-be-it momentarily disrupted by a guy who turned out to be just like my parents.

The pain isn't worth it to me.

You guys actually seem happy together though Nick, and have an understanding. I'm talking to the people who are deeply unhappy, but stick it out while their stress levels rise and they fall into despair for no good reason. People who's self worth has been trampled on and broken by someone who doesn't really care how they feel and who has no interest in making things better.

Last edited by hurtloam on 08 Oct 2019, 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2019, 5:46 am

hurtloam wrote:
I can't live with that. I had parents like that and I was miserable.

I live on my own now and I'm free and I have peace.

The pain isn't worth it to me.
This relates to my 1st post in this thread where there's no such thing as a perfect person & it's possible for someone to have red flags that someone else won't consider red flags. These are red flags you don't wanna deal with & that's totally understandable. That stuff can be very difficult to deal with for some(including me) but others may be able to handle it a lot better

Peta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Oct 2019, 6:41 am

hurtloam wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Sadly, I have done this many times, because (a) almost nobody in my area has the same interests as me, and (b) I get very emotionally attached to people, and when I fall for someone, I fall hard and fast. :(

Same.

I'm just lucky the other party has always discontinued the relationship before it got too serious/off the ground. But I do get too attached. And I didn't feel lucky each time I was dropped, but I can see how they were all wrong for me.

Don't get me wrong, I've liked some really lovely guys, they do exist, but they weren't into me.

It sucks when you're only appealing to dysfunctional people.

I need to work on a more positive vibe and draw more positive people to me (this may be nonsense and not how it works at all.) One of my friends told me that the general consensus is that I'm nice and likable and everyone has good things to say about me and I need to see myself the way that others see me.

One of my married male friends expressed surprise when he found out no one was interested in me. He's like a brother and was in an "if anyone messes you around I'll give them what for" mode. Ha ha, I don't need protecting anyway, but especially not when there's no interest, either good or bad lol.

Maybe I'm too nice and troubled souls are drawn too me because I make them feel better. They just don't know how to reciprocate in a mature way and though they genuinely do like me, don't have the skills to be good partners or are so damaged that they can't truly trust anyone or allow themselves to become too close to anyone.

I have only men older than me who are interested but they make me uncomfortable and I not know if they are okay or not

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2019, 5:27 am

Awesome post, hurtloam! Sounds like you’re describing...I dunno, half the posts I’ve written when I mention my ex. I stayed with her for YEARS, partially out of guilt, partially because I didn’t feel anyone else would want me.

Until someone DID. And that was when I finally understood WHY they say “once a cheater always a cheater.” Aaaand of course my new gf dumped me, anyway, and that stung. But it’s a whole new low in a relationship when you’d rather risk heartbreak with your “last chance at love” than stay with someone you know is a sure thing. I discovered my real true love: ME. The woman I cling to now is someone who loves me as I love myself, and the kind of mind she has, along with her gentleness and STRENGTH, are her best features. I’d be stupid NOT to marry my best friend. And I make sure to treat her with the dignity and respect she deserves.

My advice, if anyone were to ask, is to make sure your love interest has actually worked for your love and that they are truly worthy of you. That’s going to mean different things to different people, of course, but you should never be with someone lacking in virtue. In return, make sure you understand that it is in your best interest to reward them for their devotion. Give them a REASON to stay with you. One of the biggest problems I’ve had to face, and I’m sure I’m not alone, was being with someone who expected to be my reason for living. She could punish me for not being perfect, and yet I had to act as though she could do no wrong. As bad as it was, I’d come to feel I needed her for every breath. Breaking up was the hardest thing I’ve ever done, but I was surprised by how much BETTER I felt. I hate how often I’ve advised WP’ers to end their relationships, but it’s stupid and wrong to stay in toxic relationships. Don’t be afraid to assert your own worth, and be sure that you hold your potential partner to the same high standard you keep for yourself. Even if you end up alone forever, it’s STILL better than being miserable IN a relationship.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2019, 6:38 am

Excellent post, AngelRho. As was your PM, I need to reply to that. :)

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2019, 3:56 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Even beggars don't deserve to be treated badly.

Some beggars are actually richer than you.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... naire.html

Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2019, 10:04 pm

hurtloam wrote:
I read a comment on one of the L&D threads that struck a chord with me.

Someone said that they had trouble leaving a relationship because this was the only woman who had ever shown an interest in them and even though things were toxic, it was hard to let the only love you'd known go.

There's another aspect to this. I almost gave someone another chance because friends of mine were so keen for me to "finally find someone" that they were actively telling me to give him another chance, "don't let him think he's blown it" etc. even as just a friend.

Then I made a new friend who gave me clarity. She said to me, "It's ok not to feel alright about this situation. You don't have to accept being treated like that." She had no years long interest in me finally finding someone. She saw things as they were with no emotional bias.

And the little voice inside of me that has been saying that for months, finally had validation.

It's not a good relationship, even as a friendship. It never was. I was grasping at straws because other people and I finally wanted something to work out.

It's ok to walk away.

There were some posts on here from people who are clearly in bad relationships.

It's ok to walk away. If the other person makes you feel like your insides have been gutted and you're going home and crying every night. You don't have to take that.

Walk away. It's your life. You don't need to tick a relationship box off your list just to make other people think you are normal.

You are lovable.

Great post m8, it's the kind of stuff I need to read lately.

I've been the guy wasting an extraordinary amount of time on someone who is not a good partner, or even a good friend, and it just makes life miserable. Being lonely is far better than spending a lot of time with the wrong person.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 5:41 am

Since I PMed hurtloam what I thought, I thought maybe I shouldn't repeat myself. But, I basically said that hurtloam has been coming out with a lot of wisdom lately. I think if anyone here should ever slide downhill regarding dating, including myself, we should come back here and look at this thread.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2019, 8:28 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
Even beggars don't deserve to be treated badly.

Some beggars are actually richer than you.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... naire.html
The band Great Big Sea, said "Of all the trades a going, begging is the best" :arrow:

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2019, 12:40 am

From my personal experience: no relationship > bad relationship.

I think a lot of lonely people (myself included) get a desperation where they glum onto the next person that shows any interest. This can end very badly.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2019, 7:12 am

A bad relationship can be a bit of a gift in a way because you realise how great your life is without that person. As long as you don't get too embroiled in it and manage to get out without any serious emotional or physical damage. 8O

It's an eye opener.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2019, 7:14 pm

Because meeting someone with the same interests (animated sitcoms) is nearly impossible, if I do meet someone, I feel I have to hold on to them for dear life. If they are ever emotionally abusive, I force myself to look the other way.

I have even planned to relocate to Seattle, because I am convinced there is a huge animated sitcom fanbase there. There is none in Houston.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 1:03 am

I've always ignored too many red flags. The last relationship was so awful, it's like you say,"an eye opener".

I think that my former desperation is cured!

Lots of times for nice hobbies now, and I won't be be putting up with shouting or manipulative behaviour again.

I've been attracted to fiery extroverts but I didn't know that I was autistic. I get the whole dynamic now and won't do it, I don't want that fire turned on me behind closed doors, don't want to get burnt.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 4:45 am

Better to loved and lost then never loved at all.