Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Eire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2007, 9:55 pm

I'll turn 20 next week and I've never been in a relationship. I can't picture myself being in a situation where I'll meet someone that I'll like and will like me back. I don't even know how to go about placing myself in a situation where I'll meet someone. So I want to hear some stories of how fellow socially inept people met their significant others. Maybe it will help me feel hope. :)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2007, 10:02 pm

I have been in two relationships.

I met my first girlfriend (who was an NT) in high school. She and I were very romantic and it was good...until she suddenly tried tricking me into doing illegal things, and ultimately cheated on me. The relationship lasted slightly less than 2 years.

I met my second girlfriend online on an AS support group. She and I lived 1,200 miles away (I am in Texas, and she was in Minnesota), but she and I visited each other once a year. The relationship lasted three years, ending because she and I had vastly different priorities (she wanted to take care of her family, and I wanted to finish college. She and I remain very good friends.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2007, 10:03 pm

Well I am not in a relationship, but I'm trying.

I'm finding that one just has to be more social in general, with men and women... in order to find opportunities to meet people. It's annoying to those who just want to be introverted, but unless you are extremely beautiful, rich or something else... getting into a relationship doesn't just happen.

The more social you are, the more help you can get from others... if you have friends who care about you... they'll want to see you in a healthy relationship.

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

Last edited by Pugly on 29 Oct 2007, 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RedMageIngus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Oct 2007, 10:17 pm

I've had 6 relationships; all online. I just befriended guys here then started dating them. It's that easy. XD

As for real life... Like I'd date anyone. :roll:

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2007, 10:22 pm

All my relationships started online, on one of the dating sites. The key is to keep your standards low enough to give yourself a good chance, yet not so low as to date someone you're not attracted to.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2007, 10:41 pm

I met my husband 36 years ago in Chemistry class.

newaspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Oct 2007, 10:42 pm

Quote:
Tim_Tex said:

until she suddenly tried tricking me into doing illegal things, and ultimately cheated on me. The relationship lasted slightly less than 2 years.

:( :(

It only took me 14 years to realize someone was doing these things to me and worse.. i was very naive.. but I've since "come to" and think I can avoid that in the future..

been alone now for two years and still trying to find the right someone.. been very picky as I'd rather be alone than .....

it would be great if I could find another aspie, especially if we had similar interests.

maybe I'm dreaming, but then again maybe not..

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2007, 10:48 pm

I met my husband in Bible college, I had just gotten out of a very bad relationship that I never should have gotten into in the first place, and should have ended it sooner...he cheated on me.Anyways I was in chapel praying and I remember saying..."God I know you have the right person for me somewhere." And thats when Hernando walked by...and I said, "We'll not him". Anyways we married two years later. I was his first real girlfriend. He had a pen pal girlfriend when he was in the military, but when he flew out to see her, she ignored him completly. So I was it. He was 37 when we married.

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2007, 10:49 pm

oops I take that back...3 years later we married.

missboots
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Oct 2007, 10:56 pm

Well, my ex-boyfriend and I met at a party. I've never been very talkative in big groups, there were a decent amount of people there. I was drinking a beer outside by myself, watching a couple of the guys box(yes, with boxing gloves) and he came up to me and started talking. I barely talked back, just single words. But he WOULD NOT stop talking and he didn't leave me alone for the rest of the night. We ended up staying with eachother for 3 years and having a child. We're no longer together, though.

My current boyfriend and I met, I think, November 2003. The way we met was he came to give the girl I was living with a ride somewhere. I was sitting on the couch watching 'FRIENDS' and he stood in my doorway. We didn't say anything to eachother.
He ended up coming to a party that the girl I lived with was throwing for a mutual friend. We ended up talking to eachother most of the night and we hung out for about 5 months afterwards, there was mutual attraction...but nothing ever came of it. We stopped talking shortly after my ex and I got together.
Fast forward- In, I think, May of this year my son is playing with my computer and ends up IMing him(my current boyfriend) on accident. We hadn't talked since April 2004, so it was kind of unexpected. We started talking a lot and the mutual attraction was still there(though unspoken at the time). We ended up hanging out in June, we went to lunch and hung out most of that day. Shortly after, I broke up with my now ex-boyfriend(Things weren't well between us for a while). We ended up becoming official on July 2nd.
Things are going fantastically so far.

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2007, 10:57 pm

Paula wrote:
I met my husband in Bible college, I had just gotten out of a very bad relationship that I never should have gotten into in the first place, and should have ended it sooner...he cheated on me.Anyways I was in chapel praying and I remember saying..."God I know you have the right person for me somewhere." And thats when Hernando walked by...and I said, "We'll not him". Anyways we married two years later. I was his first real girlfriend. He had a pen pal girlfriend when he was in the military, but when he flew out to see her, she ignored him completly. So I was it. He was 37 when we married.

Good story.

I find it interesting that you initially didn't want to be with him. Did you push through a lack of attraction?

I've heard religious people give advice such as, go with the man who loves you most... not the man you love most... or some such thing. I'm wondering how sage this advice is...

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

Eire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2007, 11:01 pm

Paula wrote:
I was in chapel praying and I remember saying..."God I know you have the right person for me somewhere." And thats when Hernando walked by...and I said, "We'll not him". Anyways we married two years later.

:D

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2007, 12:54 am

I remember quite clearly. I called her "A Crystal Loving Hippie Freak" and we had a brief verbal sparring match. After that we really didn't talk till I remarked about Egyptian mythology over a random quiz. She asked me my views on death and from their we started PMing. As friends at first but eventually we developed feelings for each other. Pretty sure you know how the story goes from here on out.

Been together since.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2007, 2:21 am

Work... met them all at work... except for one during high school.

My former wife of recent days asked a couple of nurses to ask me if I would go camping with her.
She was still in residency and I worked at the same medical center in the lab.
We saw each other when I went up on the pediatric ward to draw blood from the patients.
Our first date was a camping trip to Big Bend National Park.
I gave up a weekend alone at a logging competition in New Mexico to show her the Big Bend N.P.

Before that was my supervisor at the same hospital (although she was more interested in someone to go drink beer with), a partner I helped train in the E.M.S. system I worked at in the same city, a lady I worked with at the local blood bank, and my high school sweetheart.

There were about three other women in my life which were either short-lived romances, or 'friendships' which I hoped would be something more.

I've been physically alone now for almost two years, and I doubt I'll be finding anyone soon... if ever again.

As much as I long for having someone to be with... even just plain old snuggling with, I have finally come to the conclusion I am just too weird to be attractive past the initial 'getting to know me' stage.

Life's tough :wink:

UnrelentingHorror
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Oct 2007, 4:11 am

Wells, first one ever I met my first semester at college. I was kind of a late bloomer.
I just kind of decided that semester that I was going to force myself to be social and I just kind of saw her sitting alone in the hallway so I walked up acting like nothing was wrong and sat right next to her.
She kind of looked over a little nervous and said hi and I just said hi back, turns out she had the same class as me and we just kind of got to talking during it.
It didn't last long though.
Then I met another friend in the same class that I went on one date with and was pretty cool but it just didn't work.

hmmm.... Past that other than one date things or me being into someone I kind of know then aspie-ing out and never doing much about it or screwing it up, nothing much else happened before or after that.

But now I met a girl a few months ago, online of all places, I wasn't exactly looking to meet someone seriously I just said something stupid kinda and it turned into something more and we got to talking.
Turns out she didn't live far from me and we've seen each other several times and it seems to be going pretty well. I think we're both pretty happy with each other. Only real difficulties is I'm growing more and more convinced that her mom may verry well not like me, not necissarily because of anything I've done, but simply because I represent change and don't fit the ideal she has for her daughter. Which of course I understand is quite common amongst parents and most of my friends who are couples have had to deal with it to some degree, I've just never even heard of it being so venemously and irrationally opposed.
But I'm sure things will work out.

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2007, 9:27 pm

I've never heard that advice Pugly. Actually no I wasn't attracted to Hernando at first. I was 19 when I first met him at school. We made small talk but he's alot older than me so I wasn't interested in him at all romantically. We ended up in the same circle of friends and became good friends, then better friends, and so on and so on.