The Bar. (L&D's own chatroom)

Page 8 of 88 [ 1404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 88  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2014, 11:12 pm

SoftwareEngineer wrote:
While at the store today. I perused the selection of Spam. I was amazed by how many variants of Spam are offered, include a health turkey spam. Per pound, it's more expensive than steak, so I brought home a couple of chuck steaks.

WTF? Why would anyone ever buy it then save for stocking some non-perishable emergency supplies or something?? :?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2014, 11:20 pm

I'll have mine rare please. :D I should dust off my grill and do some cooking.Next time I go to the beer store I'll grab a steak.Can't grill without a cold beer.Once my corn comes off I'll really do some grilling.I pull the shucks back,remove silk,then I smear with a mix of butter and peanut butter and a little salt,pull the shucks back and tie them with a piece of the shuck.Sounds weird,but it's really good.Where I live I can build a fire in the yard,so I like to do that,then cook over the coals when they have died down.Maybe some squash and pepper from the garden on kabobs.Yum.

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2014, 11:31 pm

I infuse lard with onion and soak big chuck of hickory in it. I throw the hickory in the fire and the smoke is a combination of the wood, lard, and onion.

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2014, 11:34 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Why would anyone ever buy it then save for stocking some non-perishable emergency supplies or something?? :?

I live in Arizona. So, I keep a stock of Slim Fast as survival food. It stores well, contains water and nutrition, and you can carry a bunch. Four cans will get you through a day.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2014, 11:34 pm

*Orders a glass of ice water.*

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2014, 11:43 pm

Never thought of Slim fast as survival food,but it would work.Tastes better than Spam anyway. :D I bet ensure would also be a good choice,I've seen people live off that in nursing homes forever.
I have a dead apple tree that I plan on cutting down,applewood smoked food is awesome.I also like to skewer chicken with rosemary.
Now I have to go to bed hungry,maybe I will dream of BBQ.

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2014, 12:07 am

Apple wood is the best.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2014, 12:13 am

SoftwareEngineer wrote:
Apple wood is the best.

I dunno.. I'm quite fond of morning wood, myself.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2014, 1:25 am

Misslizard wrote:
I pull the shucks back,remove silk,then I smear with a mix of butter and peanut butter and a little salt,pull the shucks back and tie them with a piece of the shuck

Hmm, I could see how that could be good, I'd probably try and figure out a way to add bacon to it though. I like to do my grilled corn Mexican style, slathering it with a garlic-chile-lime-cilantro mayo and then rolling it in shredded Parmesan, pretty hard to beat.

- Rick Sanchez

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2014, 8:49 am

LOL....I'm glad this isn't an "old man Irish bar" like we used to have in New York City.

Especially in Queens, there used to be these places, with names like Shamrock, that used to have one main bar in the middle of the place, with a few booths off to the side. There would, invariably, be one drunk old man sleeping in one of the booths. The customers were mainly old men, especially before 5PM. There might be a few toothless women there as well--probably not, though. There would be a small, black and white TV blaring. There would be no music emanating from the jukebox. Cigarette smoke would be wafting in curlicue designs, in interaction with the dim light.

Exactly the kind of place where Charles Bukowski used to hang out.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2014, 10:46 am

^^ :D Remember reading a story he wrote about getting his drivers liscense renewed.I saw a bar in Laramie,WY that was white cinder block and painted on it free style in black runny paint was Sin's Saloon.I wanted to check it out but the ex was stuffy about it.A friend told me about one in saw in OK,,it was a old wood building that had a definite slant to it from the wind.You just know the beer in that place would be ice cold.I used to go to the Juke joint when I lived down io SoArk,it was way safer and friendlier than the biker bar.
My bio mom used to take me to bars when I was little,I could drink all the Shirley Temples I could hold,went to several on the MO/AR state line.She also took me to one in Nuevo Laredo,it was nicer than the ones I saw in MO.She tried to take me to the bullfights,but thank goodness they didn't happen on the day we went.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 9:14 am

Well....at least people on this site are sober!

I'll have to put two quarters in the jukebox, and play an old-time blues number.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 9:19 am

Lol, here's a classic:

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=qtFBRJFN3p8[/youtube]

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 9:38 am

SoftwareEngineer wrote:
While at the store today. I perused the selection of Spam. I was amazed by how many variants of Spam are offered, include a health turkey spam. Per pound, it's more expensive than steak, so I brought home a couple of chuck steaks.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE[/youtube]

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 9:53 am

I wish they had the Abbott and Costello scene about both of them ordering oyster stew at a restaurant.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 6:42 pm

my late husbands' step mother told me that when she was a little girl, that she was in the hospital for something and "died."It was a little while after she died that she suddenly came back to life. It made the national news. She received cards and stuffed animals from all over the country, and Abbott and Costello visited her in the hopital....but I don;t think they brought any oyster stew :cry: