What is misogyny? What is misandry?

Page 14 of 18 [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 2:03 pm

What you're describing is called "the Norweigan Gender Paradox". Once outside influences such as necessity are removed, all that's left is natural inclinations (obv. speaking in averages), so the disparity increases.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Oct 2017, 2:15 pm

Closet Genious wrote:
I live in one of, if not the most gender equal country in the world. And yet we have fewer females going into STEM fields than in third world countries. It's a feminist arguement, that culture has been holding females back from being scientists and engineers.

That is not so simple, lots of the cultural factors are invisible.
During another internet argument about one-gender and coed schools I found some study results that conclude: The overall difference between one-gender and coed schools vary by state so largely that no universal conclusions can be given - except for that one:
In one-gender schools girls score higher in STEM and boys score higher in humanities than in the co-eds.

So some girls may be unaware of the fact that they may avoid choosing STEM because they see it un-feminine, not because of other factors.

Another interesting article on this: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-39579321 Russia is not considered the leader of equality and yet... in this field they beat the West by a knock-out.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 2:22 pm

The "going to WC togother" is a cross cultural female thing.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Oct 2017, 2:34 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

I can imagine a deep, paleolithic reason for that:
Females are physically weaker. In their moments of vulnerability, if they can't turn to the males for protection, they tend to form alliences. Exposing oneself like in a bathroom could end in a sexual attack, so male protection is out of the question here... Even if the bathrooms are now safe, the feeling of vulnerability and striving for allies remains.

Just my survivalistic hypothesis ;)

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 2:41 pm

magz wrote:
Closet Genious wrote:
I live in one of, if not the most gender equal country in the world. And yet we have fewer females going into STEM fields than in third world countries. It's a feminist arguement, that culture has been holding females back from being scientists and engineers.

During another internet argument about one-gender and coed schools I found some study results that conclude: The overall difference between one-gender and coed schools vary by state so largely that no universal conclusions can be given - except for that one:
In one-gender schools girls score higher in STEM and boys score higher in humanities than in the co-eds.

So some girls may be unaware of the fact that they may avoid choosing STEM because they see it un-feminine, not because of other factors.

Another interesting article on this: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-39579321 Russia is not considered the leader of equality and yet... in this field they beat the West by a knock-out.

If I were to buy your premise here, it would lead right into two of my previous points.

1: Reproduction drives the majority of our behaviours, and thus girls won't risk doing something that is percieved as less feminine.

2: Women are more conformist, if they were truly interested in the subject, they wouldn't give a rats ass about how they were percieved.

But I don't, I still believe it's biology at play here, mens and womens brains are wired differently.
What I don't like about this, is that it seems to suggest that we just need to encourage girls more to go into STEM. I don't think it will do any difference, and there is already enough encouragement as it is.
I also don't want a scientist who needs encouragement to become one.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 2:42 pm

magz wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Females are physically weaker. In their moments of vulnerability, if they can't turn to the males for protection, they tend to form alliences. Exposing oneself like in a bathroom could end in a sexual attack, so male protection is out of the question here... Even if the bathrooms are now safe, the feeling of vulnerability and striving for allies remains.

That's actually the best explanation I've ever heard on this. :)

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 2:54 pm

Closet Genious wrote:
magz wrote:
Closet Genious wrote:

If I were to buy your premise here, it would lead right into two of my previous points.

1: Reproduction drives the majority of our behaviours, and thus girls won't risk doing something that is percieved as less feminine.

2: Women are more conformist, if they were truly interested in the subject, they wouldn't give a rats ass about how they were percieved.

But I don't, I still believe it's biology at play here, mens and womens brains are wired differently.
What I don't like about this, is that it seems to suggest that we just need to encourage girls more to go into STEM. I don't think it will do any difference, and there is already enough encouragement as it is.
I also don't want a scientist who needs encouragement to become one.

Most of the girls I know who were good at math in school still choose to go into non-STEM fields. IMHO, women just tend to be less interested in non-people-orientated subjects.

As for females being more conformist, it's one of the reasons that, if I'm tasked to work with a group to do something creative, I often prefer to work with males. In my experience, men are less likely to be worried about being seen as odd, or "weird." Biologically speaking, in most social mammals, females live together in herds, while males live by themselves and only join the females during mating season. Survival as a female means not standing out from the group, while, with males, mating success entails taking risks and standing out.

Just my observation.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 3:21 pm

magz wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
The science seems to indicate that men and women have different standard deviations in various aspects of their behavior. This makes some evolutionary sense, because highly successful men can father many more children than highly successful women. Women's role in binding societies together probably stems from their having a smaller standard deviation in many behaviors, which could also lead to this feeling of them having a hive mind. Relative to men, that is. We seem innately more likely to disagree.

The topic is hard to study because of too much ideology about it but... I just started wondering if it has something to do with female aspie masking abilities. That we are pushed so hard by both culture and biology to be social, that we put all the other resources to compensate our lack of that one...

My sister, a suspected aspie, systematized social behavior. She succeeded in high school. We both got scolded a lot for social faux pas. That's my mom.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 3:56 pm

magz wrote:

That doesn't surprise me. I think Russia has come much longer in this area than the West, and largely without blaming men for everything. In fact, Western countries should study Russia a lot more, and leave feminism as it has developed behind as a failed experiment.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 4:29 pm

Closet Genious wrote:
magz wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

That's actually the best explanation I've ever heard on this. :)

^^ Ditto

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 5:57 pm

magz wrote:
Closet Genious wrote:

Let's shock you even more fellas, look who's top 1 (my tiny country is amomg the list!):

Quote:
In the Gulf region, women comprise 60 percent of engineering students in universities, compared with 30 percent in the U.S. and Europe, according to UNESCO.​

It seems girls in those countries don't waste so much time and energy on feminism debates and focus on their studies instead :lol:.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 10:53 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
magz wrote:
Closet Genious wrote:

Let's shock you even more fellas, look who's top 1 (my tiny country is amomg the list!):

Quote:
In the Gulf region, women comprise 60 percent of engineering students in universities, compared with 30 percent in the U.S. and Europe, according to UNESCO.​

It seems girls in those countries don't waste so much time and energy on feminism debates and focus on their studies instead :lol:.

This doesn't shock me. Most of my female classmates were from these countries. I think there are various cultural reasons that lead women from muslim regions and India to study STEM more often than western women.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 11:32 pm

Chronos wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
magz wrote:
Closet Genious wrote:

Quote:

This doesn't shock me. Most of my female classmates were from these countries. I think there are various cultural reasons that lead women from muslim regions and India to study STEM more often than western women.

Yet in the IT courses that I took there were very few females, but these were "continuity studies" (certificates); I was told by colleagues tho that they had many women in IT faculties tho. In my previous workplace, half of the IT were females in the company's early years, yet few were coders though.

Cultural reasons? Hmm.... I think one reason may be that humanities majors aren't seen so positively here. Psychlogy? it's a laughing stock thing here, yet it's a very popular major among women in the west.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 12:54 am

A while ago, Iran had to ban women from taking the more prestigious degrees, because a very large majority of them had no intention of actually working in that field, but were taking their degrees to increase the baseline for how educated they can expect their future husband to be. As s**t as I think Iran is, one can understand that a country needing engineers aren't happy with the idea of educating a lot of engineers with no intention of working as engineers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Oct 2017, 2:09 am

Closet Genious wrote:

On the other hand - one of my ex-boyfriends loved arts and history. His career of choice? Real estate agent.
I've been listening to Warren Farrell talks lastly, he points out the social pressure on men is no smaller than on women. Just different.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 2:37 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
A while ago, Iran had to ban women from taking the more prestigious degrees, because a very large majority of them had no intention of actually working in that field, but were taking their degrees to increase the baseline for how educated they can expect their future husband to be. As s**t as I think Iran is, one can understand that a country needing engineers aren't happy with the idea of educating a lot of engineers with no intention of working as engineers.

This mentality exists here too, I recall a woman told me once she is hesitated to do Master's because that would increase a lot her "standard" for a future husband hence increasing her chance to remain single. W.logic.