Is being over 25 too old to still be living at home?

Page 4 of 8 [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2014, 9:06 am

So then I don't have to put my dating life on hold because of my current situation? I wouldn't be comfortable putting it on hold since I'm not getting any younger

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2014, 9:16 am

WantToHaveALife wrote:
So then I don't have to put my dating life on hold because of my current situation? I wouldn't be comfortable putting it on hold since I'm not getting any younger

No, you don't have to put your dating life on hold. Just go ahead. It's a lot more normal these days. If it's a deal breaker for someone, then that relationship wasn't mean to be & you move on.

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2014, 9:42 am

WantToHaveALife wrote:

Date all you want. Living at home is financially smart.

JBO
Raven
Raven

16 Jun 2014, 12:05 am

SoftwareEngineer wrote:

+1. Just be confident about it. Don't say "yeahhhh... still living at home :oops: " and be embarrassed about it. Say it matter-of-factly and nonchalantly, and if they have a problem with that, well, **** em. Have reasons to explain why you prefer to live at home for now.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2014, 10:39 am

JBO wrote:
SoftwareEngineer wrote:

+1. Just be confident about it. Don't say "yeahhhh... still living at home :oops: " and be embarrassed about it. Say it matter-of-factly and nonchalantly, and if they have a problem with that, well, **** em. Have reasons to explain why you prefer to live at home for now.
thanks, so are there any women here that have dated guys older than 25 that still lived with their parents, not financially stable yet, were able to overlook those about the guy?

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2014, 11:10 am

WantToHaveALife wrote:
JBO wrote:
SoftwareEngineer wrote:

thanks, so are there any women here that have dated guys older than 25 that still lived with their parents, not financially stable yet, were able to overlook those about the guy?

Dude! You live in California. There are plenty of popular guys there who have no job, no education, no equity, and they drive their mother's car - they're called "professional surfers." I've lived in LA and San Diego. Just go out and meet a babe. Don't try acting normal, but presumptively behave like you are fully acceptable.

As I suggested above, write out a list of reasons why it's smart to live at home. Then, when someone asks, you've already thought it through and you can give a good answer. So, when A woman asks you where you live, you answer something like "My current financial mode is saving money and building equity, so living at home with my parents fits my plan perfectly." And, maybe follow that up with "Too many people are buried in debt and stay miserable for years with that burden. There is no reason to spend years living month-to-month terrified by the threat of one recession destroying your life." A smart girl will be impressed. Keep in mind, having a plan means having reasons for the things you do - a surf bum has no plan, but you do.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2014, 2:48 pm

SoftwareEngineer wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:
JBO wrote:
SoftwareEngineer wrote:

Dude! You live in California. There are plenty of popular guys there who have no job, no education, no equity, and they drive their mother's car - they're called "professional surfers." I've lived in LA and San Diego. Just go out and meet a babe. Don't try acting normal, but presumptively behave like you are fully acceptable.

As I suggested above, write out a list of reasons why it's smart to live at home. Then, when someone asks, you've already thought it through and you can give a good answer. So, when A woman asks you where you live, you answer something like "My current financial mode is saving money and building equity, so living at home with my parents fits my plan perfectly." And, maybe follow that up with "Too many people are buried in debt and stay miserable for years with that burden. There is no reason to spend years living month-to-month terrified by the threat of one recession destroying your life." A smart girl will be impressed. Keep in mind, having a plan means having reasons for the things you do - a surf bum has no plan, but you do.

sounds like a great idea

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2014, 1:35 pm

WantToHaveALife wrote:
Anybody know of any couples out there or past couples in which the guy was living with his parents and was able to get a girlfriend? And he was over 25, like even late 20's or even 30's

Yah, me

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2014, 2:11 pm

Take a look at this thread. It's really cool and has a few pointers on reading non-verbal communications.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt261446.html

newageretrohippie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 2:30 am

I'm 33 and I still live with my parents. It's not like it's by choice, either. Between me ( on disability ), my parents ( both on social Security ) and my sister & her boyfriend...the 5 of us can barely afford to live in the cramped apartment we currently live in. Hell, my room is so small it's practically just a walk-in closet :(

Every day it gets more & more likely that I'll die alone pining for my best friend....

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 10:45 am

I think that many Autistics move out too soon.we just take alittle longer to gel. I have seen so many "boomerang" kids [ NT and AS]who move out and then have to move back home. Staying at home a little longer allows you that opportunity to accumulate cash, learn more skills, and to develop into a more interesting person. It's difficult to do any of these things if your mind is all caught up in figuring out how to survive.

one of my NT kids [ does bi-polar count as NT?] boomeranged for quite a few years. I'm thinking he was 28 or 29 before he finally moved out for good. He has told me that he wishes he had waited to move out initially because he would be in a better place now. He also had TONS of girlfriends [ though he did tell them that he was helping to take care of his sick mother. And this was many years before I became ill]

I say stay at home a bit longer, but do not stagnate. Make sure that one reason for staying with your folks now is to ensure a better future in the long term.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 9:54 pm

thread makes me sad :(

most say its ok to stay at home, lets you save money for the future.

I not saving money, I owe 20k and get ssi. even if I get a job there won't be much saving to buy a house(unobtainable goal for me, heck most) My goal for getting a job is two. 1. get off ssi, 2. have little extra spending money. I will have to do bankruptcy to rid myself of 11k debt, and then pay the other 10kish off $50 a month. I don't plan to get my own place until I have a long term gf. I hope I can find a gf ok with that. if I move out my family might become homeless, and if they don't I won't ever be able to move back in. so moving out is a limited to moving into a place with a gf. I do hope with a permanent job I might be able to save money up for down payments on a place together though.

My NT friend works at walmart and is the marine reserves. his dad helps pay rent for their two bedroom duplex, he only eats one meal a day, and can't afford gas to get to work every day, so he walks to work.

that doesn't sound fun.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2014, 12:34 am

I would start with bankruptcy. And check out both the "Ticket to Work" and the PASS plans through social security. save every dime you can, but make sure that there is not too much in your account at one time. Find ways to supplement your income off the books [ dog walking? pooper scooping?] Hopefully, when you find that special lady, she will be able to provide income as well.

Flyer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jun 2014, 2:05 am

Pretty much everyone I know of my age range is renting, but that's mostly either college students or recent graduates who moved here to study. I know only one other person who still lives with her parents and she's very depressed about it. It's weird because rent is really expensive here, actually more expensive than mortgage, so it doesn't make much sense to rent. That's why I'm saving for a down payment. I don't expect anyone to understand my position, but it's not the reason why I'm not dating. There's plenty of other reasons why I'm undateble. :)

businezguy
Raven
Raven

21 Jun 2014, 11:15 pm

TheGoggles wrote:
A few decades ago, maybe. Now? It's increasingly typical. Welcome to the lost generation.

I fully agree with this. Your question is about living with your parents at the age of 25. One of the problems you have is that you are 25 in the year 2014. The adults before you spent all of the money and wealth in this country, so you will now pay the price by living more frugally and with less opportunity.

It may be somewhat of a stigma to be living at home with your parents, but society is beginning to come to grips with understanding something, "Oh wait a minute, you mean this situation isn't temporary, the economy is going to suck for generations to come?" Once people realize, it'll be less of an issue. In fact, we are in a recession right now as of the first quarter of this year, and this may actually get people to realize the economy is going to continue to shrink. If people begin to believe the U.S. can't pay it's debt, you'll be lucky if your parents have a home to live in, let a lone you.

Okay, I kind of really went off topic. But I guess I'm trying to say, "You have bigger fish to fry." Heck, you'll be lucky if you can afford to fry fish.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2014, 11:27 pm

Flyer wrote:
Pretty much everyone I know of my age range is renting, but that's mostly either college students or recent graduates who moved here to study. I know only one other person who still lives with her parents and she's very depressed about it. It's weird because rent is really expensive here, actually more expensive than mortgage, so it doesn't make much sense to rent. That's why I'm saving for a down payment. I don't expect anyone to understand my position, but it's not the reason why I'm not dating. There's plenty of other reasons why I'm undateble. :)

I noticed you live in Lithuania, I wonder if it varies per culture in which women don't frown upon men as much that live with their parents past a certain age