A Self-Made-Man girl discovers that life as a man is harder

Page 6 of 19 [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 19  Next

No Escape
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jul 2015, 3:38 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
But you HAVE to put yourself out there.

Where? Please be specific. "There" is vague and useless.

No Escape

16 Jul 2015, 3:40 pm

nurseangela wrote:
The truth of it is that men want looks and women want security (be it money or muscle). It has never changed and it will not change. We should just accept it of each other and move on.

Looks are important to women.

No Escape

16 Jul 2015, 3:43 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Anyways remember there are autistic women and women with other conditions who struggle just as much if not more with relationships than your typical male.

No there aren't lol. Make a dating profile with a woman like this and then one with her male equivalent. Compare their results and get back to me.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2015, 3:56 pm

No Escape wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
The truth of it is that men want looks and women want security (be it money or muscle). It has never changed and it will not change. We should just accept it of each other and move on.

Not as important as money. Why do you see old farts going out with younger women? You think it's their wrinkles the woman is interested in? And the same goes for the old farts - they go out with the youngest women they can find (and they usually aren't ugly) and that's because they can. They know what women want and they have it - money.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

No Escape

16 Jul 2015, 4:11 pm

nurseangela wrote:
No Escape wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

Not as important as money. Why do you see old farts going out with younger women? You think it's their wrinkles the woman is interested in? And the same goes for the old farts - they go out with the youngest women they can find (and they usually aren't ugly) and that's because they can. They know what women want and they have it - money.

You almost never see an old man in a relationship with a girl in her prime in real life. Celebrities and the super rich are completely irrelevant outliers.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2015, 4:20 pm

No Escape wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
No Escape wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

You almost never see an old man in a relationship with a girl in her prime in real life. Celebrities and the super rich are completely irrelevant outliers.

And society never sees an older woman going out with a much younger man - celebrity or not.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

No Escape

16 Jul 2015, 4:28 pm

nurseangela wrote:
No Escape wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
No Escape wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

And society never sees an older woman going out with a much younger man - celebrity or not.

This does not contradict anything I said. The 'And' you started with implies you agree with me, so I'm glad of that at least.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2015, 4:56 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I like how these posts always go in a direction in which you'd think there are no autistic women...after all, all women are the same even the ones with autism and other neurological and/or mental conditions have it 100 % easy, all they gotta do is look pretty and a viable boyfriend will come along...obviously this is how it is for all women.

Anyways remember there are autistic women and women with other conditions who struggle just as much if not more with relationships than your typical male. And what the f*** is a self made man girl? Did she undergo a sex change...or just dress like a dude....maybe her uh 'costume' wan't very convincing and that has something to do with the difficulties she found in picking up females whilst digusied as a male. Sure historically it has been males who make the first move, that trend can be seen even today...though its not unheard of for a female to initiate anymore...but its been ingrained in society so long its still more or less a 'norm'.

Look, in my mind, and in these discussions, I NEVER consider autistic women at all; why? because they are so minority, same for AS men, they are so statically insignificant when we talk about "women" and "men" - so really...it's futile to include them in every gender discussion.

And I don't get it, why are you so upset about her experiment? It's not perfect, but it's the best experiment of its kind - and she was truly objective - she had her on criticism on the male behaviors as well.

Have you watched the video?

Quote:
And what the f*** is a self made man girl? Did she undergo a sex change...or just dress like a dude....maybe her uh 'costume' wan't very convincing and that has something to do with the difficulties she found in picking up females whilst digusied as a male

Hmm...it wasn't convincing? umm...why? ahh shoulders not broad enough? Not masculine-looking/walk enough? See, you just proved one of her points right there that most women want a manly man, and that what you want too.

I am sure now you haven't watched the video.

Quote:
Sure might be hard for your typical autistic male to find a model quality, drop dead gorgeous blonde with lots of friends and an impressive social life that wants them for a boyfriend, but no it is not impossible for autistic males to 'get girlfriends' might not get one that will serve to hide your akwardness and raise your social status by being 'hot' but you could look for someone with some common interests you actually enjoy spending time with or attempt to meet people in venues that cater to your interests.......But of course I know many guys would rather have a drop dead gorgeous blonde with large boobs who dresses sexy and is ready to drop them as soon as something better looking, with more money or offers a better time comes along then someone they really bond with who maybe isn't as visually 'satisfying'. Of course i am generalizing some...but this thread is already full of generalization.

You know, this is getting old; when guys struggle in dating, you quickly assume they are after models.

I am hardly upset by it...I can just see some inconsistencies, not to mention some of the difficulty she noticed could have very well had to do with the fact she was a female posing as a male rather than a real male...not saying its totally useless and there aren't any aspects of initiating relationships that females may have 'easier' but even so its not infallible.

Also I'd accept that autistic women are a minority so no point mentioning them in such discussions...if I hadn't seen so much assumptions and accusations of how easy it is for women thrown at autistic females here who try and post in this section about their difficulties dating. I mean duh autistic males are going to have a harder time with dating than neurotypical females...why do we need 500+ discussions debating this fact whilst ignoring non-neurotypical and/or autistic females may have just as much trouble with dating as autistic males when dealing with neurotypical males. Then just seems people think they can only be with a neurotypical or else there is no chance whatsoever of ever finding anyone.

As for her not being convincing, IDK...just figured that could have played in with some interactions beings she really is not a male. Also you'd have to specify what you mean by 'manly' since to a lot of mainstream society things I find attractive for males are more associated with females like long hair, I think make up can be attractive on guys and even dressing a bit feminine can be attractive...though nothing wrong with more masculine dress. Also yes if a woman was more attracted to males with strong male features...I could see how a woman making a perfect impression of a male still would not catch that womans interest due to the more 'feminine' appearance...but I didn't know the trouble autistics had with finding women came down to having a less masculine appearance, I thought it was more to do with the social issues/mannerisms and coming off socially akward and based on pictures of some members on this site...seems there are males who look quite obviously male I'd be willing to bet they also struggle in the relationship department.

Also I never assumed all or even most guys who struggle are after models...however I am not making it up that there are males who get so focused on looks and finding that perfect body they miss out on plenty of opportunities to engage with women and might even fail to see the ones that are attracted to them because its not what they've came to envision in their head. Also there are those who feel a pretty girlfriend will help them look better socially or whatever...though such relations don't usually work out as eventually the woman will feel used. Females can get caught up on looks and first appearances too though so its not like they're any better at avoiding detrimental dating mindsets/behaviors.

But yeah being an autistic male is hard...harder than being an neurotypical female, being an autistic female is much harder than being a neurotypical female too, so I just don't get the raging at females here on this site with autism or all females in general when we don't get what goes on in the neurotypicals heads anymore than autistic males do.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2015, 4:58 pm

nurseangela wrote:
No Escape wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
No Escape wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

Yet both occur more than one might like to think....even in regular non celebrity life.

goofygoobers
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2015, 5:10 pm

No Escape wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Anyways remember there are autistic women and women with other conditions who struggle just as much if not more with relationships than your typical male.

No there aren't lol. Make a dating profile with a woman like this and then one with her male equivalent. Compare their results and get back to me.

But it's true. Aspie women have trouble with dating too. You make it sound like the problems aspie women face don't matter, when they do.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2015, 5:24 pm

No Escape wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
No Escape wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
No Escape wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

This does not contradict anything I said. The 'And' you started with implies you agree with me, so I'm glad of that at least.

Which leaves us right back at the beginning.

Darn, I flunked.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2015, 5:25 pm

It doesn't matter what other people do.

It matters what YOU do.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2015, 5:45 pm

I agree with No Escape, you can always find dates through online dating.

Hell, some of you here even got boyfriends just by posting whining threads about not having boyfriends :lol:.

Look, Norah, has proved that dating for men is in general harder than dating for women, then why that wouldn't apply to aspies?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

16 Jul 2015, 5:52 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
. Then just seems people think they can only be with a neurotypical or else there is no chance whatsoever of ever finding anyone.

Well given the ratio that would be true for most, in all honesty I don't even know anybody else diagnosed on the spectrum male or female so I don't feel any sense of community offline. I wish that were different and I've looked into some things but there really isn't much out there for adults which is pretty depressing when you live in a metro area of 4 million + god knows how many snowbirds in the winter. What's attractive about a partner on the spectrum is the thought that maybe they'd be able to relate to you and that you'd be able to accept each other's shortcomings, would that actually work out like that? I don't know, I could also see not wanting to have to deal someone else's struggles when you have your own. I think I could probably deal with it, it's not like the people in my life that aren't on the spectrum are drama free by any stretch. I think I'm better at helping other people than I am helping myself anyway and helping someone else would be a nice roundabout way of helping myself since I tend self sabotage whatever I do so I could do it indirectly. Whatever tho, it would be kind of dumb to pin any hopes on that just from a numbers standpoint.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2015, 6:02 pm

nurseangela wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
Spiderpig wrote:
Simple as it may sound, "putting yourself out there" has proven well beyond my ability so far.

Jacoby wrote:
Men are the disposable sex, if we cut the male population by half and it wouldn't make a difference and would probably increase the quality of life for the remaining men.

That's what war is for.

Pretty much. I heard someone say that war is inevitable in any country when the ratio of men becomes to high, maybe that's what should really scare people about China.

Getting off the subject a bit....
We talked about this in my IR class. Maybe they should think about letting women lead some of these nations. I think we have too much testosterone running these countries and the main way that men show how strong they are is to fight. Unfortunately, we're not dealing in little fist fights - they're dealing with the big guns (literally). So if they decide to go nuclear (as in crazy), then we all go nuclear.

German is lead by a woman last I checked, they still went to war. women fight all the time, in fact they fight dirty. men don't scratch at eyes or pull hair. on another note, women say if they get full power they going to castrate all men at 13 on castration day where men walk the street nude for women's enjoyment then the deed is done and men will be known to be worthless as women see them. so no thanks. women ruled world sounds more bloody then this one.

also what happens when the female leader of England thinks the female leader of France is cheating with her ally the us. ask a few women here if they think women can be very mean and backstabbing to each other over thinking something happen. listen to how women talk about even them as friends when they aren't around. I wonder why do they keep them as friends if all they ever do is say horrible things about them. o.O

NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2015, 6:05 pm

Wish I'd known about her book when this came up before. I stand by what I said:

"Let's go over [Laci Green's] video:

She says that men face "pressure to be one of the guys, to make 'harmless' jabs at each-other meant to establish dominance." If she's right, I've somehow missed it entirely. I first encountered that type of banter at one of the least hierarchal workplaces that I've ever worked at. What stood out was that the guys wouldn't give me a hard time if I was already having a rough day (in stark contrast to female-run public schools, where they'd single you out as an easy target). It didn't change the level of professional respect between the people doing it.

She says that we're under pressure "to prove your manhood by having lots of sex; learning to see women as sex objects, and struggling to have meaningful relationships with them." Most American men don't have lots of sex. They usually have less sex than women, and the ones who give the most (like married fathers) get the least in return. Is that how she defines a "meaningful relationship?"

"...to pursue physically-demanding, dangerous or even violent jobs." One of the safest working cultures that I've ever been a part of was also the most male-dominated. There were some mildly dangerous tasks, but the level of professionalism among the staff was outstanding. Everybody knew what to do, and you could always ask one of the other guys for help. The only co-worker who ever pressured me to do something stupid (a case of first-day hazing) was a woman at a non-profit at which half of the management was female.

"...pressure to be the protector in a relationship, never the protected." Yes, there's lots of pressure. No, it's not from other men. I used to be easy-going about this, but it just attracted women who were insecure around men and looking for someone non-threatening, or women who wanted an emotional pick-me-up before they went off to get [screwed] by stereotypical alphas. Not worth it.

"...pressure to be the leader, and to always have the answers." I know a lot of women who want men to admit that we don't have all the answers, but they still believe in a magic book or institution that has them. How is it good for guys to be dumped in favor of a different fantasy? Can't I at least be passed over for realism?"