How do you know if your standards are too high?

Page 8 of 12 [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 10:37 am

b9 wrote:
i have no "standards".
i always am completely open to all aspects of a person that wants to know me.
unfortunately, i nearly always find nothing of interest in other people.

i do not judge by fashion or attitude or status or anything. if i hear nothing that interests me within a few minutes of meeting someone, then i "switch off" and i never get to know them because i never listen to anything they say further.

but people who consider things that are also considerable by me will be granted my ear until i hear a dissimilarity, and then i am afraid they are out.

it is totally my problem and not theirs.

but i sleep well as me.

It's completely off topic but I just have to say this. Reading posts from b9 is like the time I got lost in Paris. I had a map and I thought I knew where I was but I got incredibly lost anyway and nothing I saw around me seemed to sync up with what was on the map. Even so, everything around me was beautiful because it was Paris and just listening to the people made me feel good because the language is beautiful even though I don't speak or understand it and walked around with a French/English phrasebook the whole time. I didn't really know where I was or what was going on around me but I was ok with it because I was awash in lyrical beauty. The posts of b9: as beautiful and foreign as Paris to a lost American who doesn't speak French.

So there. My little shout out to b9 who writes the most lyrical posts on all of WP.

ScratchMonkey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Nov 2009, 11:25 am

"Self explanatory" isn't. As Aspies, you should know that. It's just a cop-out, indicating you're unwilling to justify your checkbox requirement.

I've stopped watching the Simpsons a few years ago as they got tired and rehashed. I still watch the Halloween special but it's frustrating because Fox insists on putting the punchline past the half hour so my TiVo clips it. So I've given up on that, too.

South Park is far less PC, but is very uneven. Some shows suck, others rock.

ScratchMonkey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Nov 2009, 11:31 am

SINsister wrote:
Incidentally, *I* expect any guy I date to be at least as attractive as I am. I deserve nothing less, nor will I settle for it, thankyouverymuch.

That's a high standard to meet. ;)

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 12:39 pm

ScratchMonkey wrote:
That's a high standard to meet. ;)

8O

Thanks. :oops:

@ Scratch: so do you LARP in a MUD?

~Steve Jobs

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 12:50 pm

Janissy wrote:
It's completely off topic but I just have to say this. Reading posts from b9 is like the time I got lost in Paris. I had a map and I thought I knew where I was but I got incredibly lost anyway and nothing I saw around me seemed to sync up with what was on the map. Even so, everything around me was beautiful because it was Paris and just listening to the people made me feel good because the language is beautiful even though I don't speak or understand it and walked around with a French/English phrasebook the whole time. I didn't really know where I was or what was going on around me but I was ok with it because I was awash in lyrical beauty. The posts of b9: as beautiful and foreign as Paris to a lost American who doesn't speak French.

So there. My little shout out to b9 who writes the most lyrical posts on all of WP.

:D That's utterly lovely.

B9's posts sound to me like "forlorn" transmissions from a disembodied AI, dispatched from some far distant point on the space-time continuum...or maybe from some icy realm out past the Andromeda galaxy. I prefer to think of him as a "Hal" of sorts. :)

~Steve Jobs

therange
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 1:11 pm

When did I say I was "average in all respects?" I'm tall, dark, handsome, and dress better than the average guy. If I'm a 6-8 on the 10 scale, what makes it so far-fetched to want a beautiful woman? After all, I'm not going for playboy playmates or swimsuit models.

And "deserve" has nothing to do with it.

So stop stereotyping. I used to fall into the same trap, being Aspie and all, but things aren't black and white.

Btw, if any of the women on here want to see a pic of me, I'll gladly email it to you and let you decide for yourself. But I laugh at the notion that I'm some "average in all respects" dude that eats doritos on his couch and looks down on women. What I was suggesting was that women are beautiful, men aren't. Even really, really good looking men aren't sex symbols, whereas a beautiful woman is admired by both sexes.

Last edited by therange on 03 Nov 2009, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 1:17 pm

therange wrote:
When did I say I was "average in all respects?" I'm tall, dark, handsome, and dress better than the average guy. If I'm a 6-8 on the 10 scale, what makes it so far-fetched to want a beautiful woman? After all, I'm not going for playboy playmates or swimsuit models.

And "deserve" has nothing to do with it.

So stop stereotyping. I used to fall into the same trap, being Aspie and all, but things aren't black and white.

You said,

therange wrote:
Men aren't supposed to be 10s. They are just supposed to be presentable and not ugly.

Sorry, but if you want/expect to date a female "10," then you'd damn well better be one yourself. Fair and square, no double standard.

~Steve Jobs

therange
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 1:22 pm

Well like I said, 10 to me could be easily another guy's 6. I'm not going after "10s" in the playboy, swimsuit model sense. I don't find those types attractive at all, and you're right, those women typically date other 10s, rich guys, famous guys, or 10s that are rich and famous.

HH
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Nov 2009, 1:41 pm

Nice red herrings, but as you can see SINsister isn't going to fall for it and neither am I.

You definitely sound like one of the schlubs I was describing. Go ahead and pm me a pic if you want, and I'll let you know.

ScratchMonkey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Nov 2009, 1:55 pm

SINsister wrote:

No LARPing, but I do play lots of alts in WoW, many of them female. I sometimes get asked if I'm a girl. My response is that the meat avatar holding the mouse is male. And I remind people that gender identity is not the same as gender preference. I'm a guy on my guys and a girl on my girls, but I always like girls.

I don't deliberately RP, although I sometimes do it quasi-farcically in the global trade chat channel.

My brother likes to take advantage of his being female in game by drawing the gifting attention of the guys playing the game. I find it so hard to not refer to him as "him" or "my brother" when grouping with strangers. I find it awkward when guys gift me with stuff (I'm very self-sufficient and hate being dependent), but it gives me a window into the female experience I'd otherwise not have.

therange
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 2:17 pm

HH wrote:
Nice red herrings, but as you can see SINsister isn't going to fall for it and neither am I.

You definitely sound like one of the schlubs I was describing. Go ahead and pm me a pic if you want, and I'll let you know.

You can call it a double standard, but men aren't sex objects of objects of beauty, women are. My brother is a "10" and all the women think he's really hot, and he's a virgin at age 25 because he's not outgoing or dominant around women. He's been passed up for other men who don't even have half of the looks he has.

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 2:29 pm

therange wrote:
You can call it a double standard, but men aren't sex objects of objects of beauty, women are. My brother is a "10" and all the women think he's really hot, and he's a virgin at age 25 because he's not outgoing or dominant around women. He's been passed up for other men who don't even have half of the looks he has.

That may be...but, then again, there are - and have been - very few truly "beautiful" male specimens (at least in my humble and honest opinion), which probably helps to explain that gross and unbalanced dichotomy. Overall, the majority of men appear coarse and common, and most aren't worth setting an eye upon.

I happen to love beautiful men, and always have. Send your brother my way, if you don't mind. :wink:

~Steve Jobs

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 2:38 pm

ScratchMonkey wrote:
SINsister wrote:

No LARPing, but I do play lots of alts in WoW, many of them female. I sometimes get asked if I'm a girl. My response is that the meat avatar holding the mouse is male. And I remind people that gender identity is not the same as gender preference. I'm a guy on my guys and a girl on my girls, but I always like girls.

I don't deliberately RP, although I sometimes do it quasi-farcically in the global trade chat channel.

My brother likes to take advantage of his being female in game by drawing the gifting attention of the guys playing the game. I find it so hard to not refer to him as "him" or "my brother" when grouping with strangers. I find it awkward when guys gift me with stuff (I'm very self-sufficient and hate being dependent), but it gives me a window into the female experience I'd otherwise not have.

That's intriguing; my ex-bf also plays as a female, in FF online. I've never RPd, because I don't have the patience. If I did, however, I'd probably play as a male or an androgyne. Hmm.

~Steve Jobs

therange
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 2:39 pm

I sent you both my pic.

ScratchMonkey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Nov 2009, 3:01 pm

Since you're a photobug, I figured I'd post this from a 2004 visit to the Kennedy Space Center. I'm a rank amateur, but love the process of "getting the shot".

http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken/photos/2004/0728/

HH
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Nov 2009, 4:55 pm

Great pics, ScratchMonkey.

I was surprised by therange's pic, but I really shouldn't have been. He's about a 5. His features and physique are good enough that it would be higher if everything about his appearance didn't radiate "severe jerk".

Just to make sure it wasn't me, I showed the pic to other women without telling them what it was about, and asked them to assign a number. They all came out the same -- "uh, maybe 5. He looks like a total jerk".

He might not actually be a jerk, but he's got that look going to his bearing and expression.