Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 3:45 am

To me, atheist women exist only on the internet :lol:.

Seriously, all atheists or even agnostics I know in real life are males. Atheists seem more likely to be...males.

Moreover, not only females are less likely to be atheists/ agnostics, but they are more likely to be attached to their religions, its practices and intolerant toward .... the non-believers.

Even when it comes to a total woman-unfriendly religion like Islam, instead of having more women refuting and rebelling against a belief system that makes them second-class citizens and literally putting the wife a little higher above a man's sex slave, yet marvelously, which is an another mystery of the common female mind, women are still the backbone of conserving the faith and the practices of such religion in the community. Few men (clerics) lead the religion while women are the main mass who implement it deeply within the community.

So is it just me? how many atheist/agnostic women do you (other than yourself if you are one) personally know in your real life social circles? And how many religious women do you know who are tolerant enough to date an atheist/agnostic?

Me , first category : 0
second category: 1

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 05 Sep 2011, 3:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 3:48 am

Im not an atheist/agnostic. Do I count?

Taking a break.

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

05 Sep 2011, 4:30 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
how many atheist/agnostic women do you (other than yourself if you are one) personally know in your real life social circles?
I'd guess between 15 and 20.
I don't ask my women friend/acquaintances about their religion. Some I know are declared atheists/agnostics.
The rest I suppose might be atheist/agnostic since they rarely mention religion and never talk about church.

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
And how many religious women do you know who are tolerant enough to date an atheist/agnostic?
I don't know.
The women who I know are religious are the ones I don't know well enuf to ask about their dating preferences.

willa
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 4:32 am

I don't really have any kind of 'social circle' but as for atheist women? I know a bunch, including my sister and mom. Trying to go through all the women I know in my personal or 'real life' right now and it's at a dozen right now and I know i'm missing some.

Second one's tougher to recount. I think I'd have an easier time coming up with the number of religious women I know who have openly stated that either their current significant other's religion is important or it is very important to find someone who shares the same beliefs. At least 3 women like that. As to be more specific to what you've asked, it's really not something I can think of having ever come up in conversation. I've personally dated 2 women who considered themselves christian and knew I was atheist.

p.s.
mostly unrelated and a slight derail but I did once tell a girl I was catholic to get into her pants. She never stated she would only go out with a guy who was religous but I had no desire for anything serious so had no care to do anything but make things easier :twisted:

Ashuahhe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 5:07 am

I'm atheist and a woman. The thing is that religion isn't a good topic for small talk, along with politics. People aren't going to talk it about it openly unless they know the person well

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 6:06 am

This doesn't have anything to do with what I posted, does it? :?

Because you know, I'm not like most people. I'm very well, extreme with rubbing people up the wrong way with my intense and often ill thought out views.

My best friend is a female, a staunch atheist and is living with a Christian man.
It is quite common for religions to cross and not be an issue. :)

There's atheism, people who just don't know and choose not to believe what they can't see, and staunch atheism who flat out completely trash anyones views that don't match theirs and class them as "stupid".

It's the latter I have a problem with.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 6:30 am

^^ I always wondered about this since ages ago, your post just triggered my memory about it :p.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 6:36 am

Quote:
To me, atheist women exist only on the internet

Wait, there's some conflict here.

I am saying 'atheist women exist only on the internet'

but....

the internet's rule #1 says "There are no women on the Internet." :lol:

==> so what I am saying is invalid!!

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 6:46 am

By the way, I'm replying to your MSN message but you aren't getting it. Do you have AIM?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 6:54 am

^ what the.... :imao:

I am sending you a pm.....

krazykat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Sep 2011, 7:58 am

I am a Christian with an only/best friend who is a staunch Atheist. I have met two other outspoken female Atheists in my lifetime.
They do seem rare compared to the men.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 8:49 am

Something that's sort of related...I notice how women in jobs are much more likely to stick to the rules including the little ones, and men don't seem to care as much.

Example: You show a male ticket officer an invalid ticket - he sees it, but doesn't care. A female one however, notices instantly and is a bit sharp with you about it and makes you pay. Or in the Post Office, the women behind the counter always ask for ID and the men don't.

It's related because I think women generally feel they *have to* follow a set of rules more than men...and this could be with religion too.

Another example is how women are totally fine to bring up a child and be a workaholic, and do the housework all at the same time. It doesn't benefit them at all, but because they don't want to be seen as the woman who's lazy and on benefits, they'll still follow these rules that others put on them. Or how they all feel they have to look alike, etc...basically be equal and doing their part. They probably see it as responsiblity and see no choice but to stick to the rules.

dopplercb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2011, 9:12 am

I know of one atheist woman besides myself in real life. I know one atheist male.

mv
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 9:33 am

I'm an atheist and I know at least five atheists/agnostics in real life. The problem is that people won't outright say it (I do at times, I have no qualms, it's a good way to clear a room!). So, I suspect that I know more than that, but as I don't blurt it out randomly, neither do they.

Oh, but then I only exist on the internet to you, Boo!

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 9:35 am

mv wrote:
I'm an atheist and I know at least five atheists/agnostics in real life. The problem is that people won't outright say it (I do at times, I have no qualms, it's a good way to clear a room!). So, I suspect that I know more than that, but as I don't blurt it out randomly, neither do they.

no, you can't exist on the internet, it's impossible.

mv
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 9:37 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
mv wrote:

no, you can't exist on the internet, it's impossible.

O ye of little faith! Er, oops... :oops: