Everyone is being better at it.

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 5:28 pm

Ever had this feeling that everyone you know is doing better and at least having some experience more than you when it comes to romantic stuff?

I was browsing my acquaintances on FB the other day and I realized something.

Literally all my real life acquaintances are in relationships, my coworkers, my former college colleagues , school colleagues.

AnonymousPasserBy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Nov 2011, 5:38 pm

I think everyone I know has had at least one relationship, and I obviously haven't. So yes, but that's not really a surprise if you read all the topics here, is it?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 5:41 pm

Well, I wasn't much surprised either, being at this age already and with no past relationship.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 5:57 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Ever had this feeling that everyone you know is doing better and at least having some experience more than you when it comes to romantic stuff?

Don't think like that, mate. Because a good deal of it is absolute crap. A lot of people are in unhappy relationships, bored out of their skulls, being abused, having problems with the kiddywinks, nagging wives... you're out of all that. Your Mr. Freedom itself. You can choose what you want. :)

And get off Facespace if you know what's good for you. All the cool kids are, er, not on it. Like me. ;)

DialAForAwesome
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 8:03 pm

Yeah, I have that feeling.

The funny thing is that there's been a few of my friends in the past two weeks who have been crying about not having the so-called attractive people falling over them. I told one of these guys "hey, you're completely healthy, and you're not ugly, and you at least have women who like you! Try being someone like me who doesn't even really have women as friends!" And the guy actually outright said that I was right, which is surprising. Usually the people I say something like that to will laugh at me or tell me to stay out of their business, but I think he realized that there are people who are much worse off than him in that category. Not that I always bring myself into these types of things, but it's funny that a guy like me will have almost no companionship and not cry about it, and guys like him go off on a tangent because one or two women don't like him. And there's usually hundreds of other women who seem to like him, even if only as a friend.

I also had a friend who said the usual about women blowing off good guys. Which, surprisingly, met with a bunch of approving comments.....from WOMEN! I don't really understand that. Then when he was asked if one girl (who told him he'd make a good boyfriend) would go out with him, both were just like "no, we're friends, blah blah blah." You know, the usual.

Then I had one of my few female friends say something about all guys being jerks. You can imagine how that went.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 9:28 pm

Yea, I messed up my relationship a bit so even though it seems like I might be better at it because I am in one.....the one that I'm in slid backwards because of stress and moving too fast. Oh, and we almost broke-up :cry: So, just a word to the wise. Nobody is perfect at it, love is work.

LexF
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Nov 2011, 9:56 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Literally all my real life acquaintances are in relationships, my coworkers, my former college colleagues , school colleagues.

I try not to look at it as a competitive endeavor. I know a lot of people who are in relationships. But I myself wouldn't want to be in a relationship with any of those people or their partners.

Don't get me wrong, I wish them the best, and I hope they're happy, but I wouldn't want to be them. There was a time when I felt it was really important to be with someone; it made me sloppy about who I chose to be with.

At this point, I'd rather be alone than be with someone and have to kick myself in the groin later for simply not being selective enough....

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2011, 11:22 pm

Romantic stuff, no. Everything else, yes.

MrEGuy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Nov 2011, 12:41 am

Nope. But, that's because you really have to know my friends. The day I'm doing worse than my buddy Bill, I'm just gonna say f**k it and cut my wrists.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 1:30 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

I can't stand it when people have to publicize their relationship or every little detail to the world or immediate social circle as if they need approval or want attention from it. The women I've been out with don't usually have Facebook and there are attractive women who don't use it, if you do find an attractive woman who doesn't use it, it's a positive in my opinion.

Ask yourself, would you really want a wife who is always gossiping about your relationship and about you on Facebook and constantly talking to people when you're trying to maintain a job and a nice house for her? Most of those people are in a relationship for the status like tequila said, they are in unhealthy relationships through peer and societal pressure because they don't want to be see as alone. For instance, I could rent a Ferrari and hire some girls from the modelling agency and drive around London as some kind of playboy but it's not indicative of who I really am so I wouldn't always trust what you see on Facebook to be genuine or gold.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 1:37 am

Wolfheart wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

I can't stand it when people have to publicize their relationship or every little detail to the world or immediate social circle as if they need approval or want attention from it. The women I've been out with don't usually have Facebook and there are attractive women who don't use it, if you do find an attractive woman who doesn't use it, it's a positive in my opinion.

Ask yourself, would you really want a wife who is always gossiping about your relationship and about you on Facebook and constantly talking to people when you're trying to maintain a job and a nice house for her? Most of those people are in a relationship for the status like tequila said, they are in unhealthy relationships through peer and societal pressure because they don't want to be see as alone. For instance, I could rent a Ferrari and hire some girls from the modelling agency and drive around London as some kind of playboy but it's not indicative of who I really am so I wouldn't always trust what you see on Facebook to be genuine or gold.

Who say's she is gossiping on there?
Being on fb *can* be a positive experience, ya know?
Especially if the relationship is long-distance.
There's way to show you care more easily despite the distance that separates both of you.

Though some people get in relationships to not feel alone, and there are pressures of peers to be in one.....some people just genuinely like/care/love the person they are with and want to tell the whole world this. Instead of yelling it into the street, they tell their friends and family online (some of whom may also not live nearby) so they can all share in the joy.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 2:06 am

of all my "acquaintances" IRL, only one is in a relationship.

MR20
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 10:48 am

Facebook is trash. A lot of the people on there are selfish, arrogant, douches who try to make other people jealous by showing off their latest conquest for that particular week.

Last edited by MR20 on 07 Nov 2011, 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 10:54 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Remember this when browsing FB.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 11:02 am

Asp-Z wrote:

Remember this when browsing FB.

Also, that second drawing fails to omit the person's massive gut, lack of brains or the fact that he smells of BO.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 11:11 am

OP, i know exactly wat you mean though i notice it mostly in real life than on facebook and the likes