Got that odd feeling again...

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 11:27 am

...like something with wings will swoop down, wrap me up, and whisk me away into isolation. Its not so much in my environment though so much as in the tea leaves - ie. just the nuances and the way life is feeling. (don't worry - I don't literally see women as angels, I guess I just felt like explaining what a 'brain on drugs' in the testosterone sense is like for those who haven't been there :lol: )

The thing I've wondered about once in a while and never fully understood; what is 'marriage material'? What makes a guy that? Is there something in the way a guy picks up a pen or opens a door that says he's ripe? Is it one of those things where genetics set a hormone into the air that won't occur until some stage in his process in the same way that fatherly instinct gets triggered in the air by hormones from a partner?

Wide open and messy question I know. I'm also not necessarily 'chasing' this outcome, just that from time to time things start to feel as though the shoppers will be closing in. Its really something I started feeling some time last week and not sure where its coming from.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 11:57 am

Did you post this in the wrong forum, tech?

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 12:18 pm

Well, it's probably a lot safer to seek out that sort of a feeling from Art, Writing or Music than from love anyhow, Moog.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 12:23 pm

Moog wrote:
Did you post this in the wrong forum, tech?

*sigh*....I'm braindamaged. Must be the testosterone I sighted in the first paragraph.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

kestrel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 12:41 pm

blueroses wrote:
Well, it's probably a lot safer to seek out that sort of a feeling from Art, Writing or Music than from love anyhow, Moog.

Agreed. 8O

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 12:43 pm

blueroses wrote:

You cynic :P

Safer but less fulfilling?

Moving to L & D

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 12:51 pm

Funny, I think it was in the right forum before.

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 1:23 pm

Moog wrote:
blueroses wrote:

You cynic :P

Safer but less fulfilling?

Moving to L & D

Oh, definitely. I'm just in a rough patch at the moment, but you have to take the bad with the good.

Anyhow, back to the original question, I think being "marriage material" has to do with qualities a person has or develops, but it also has a lot to do with timing. I was engaged to someone years ago and, looking back today, both of us had been right for each other in many ways, but being young and (on my end) lacking in self-awareness was still enough to kill it. Had we been together at another point in time, who knows? It could have been a totally different story.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 1:52 pm

^what was the original question?

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 2:03 pm

I kinda thought it was this:

Quote:
The thing I've wondered about once in a while and never fully understood; what is 'marriage material'?

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 2:15 pm

Being divorced, I can safely say it has a lot to do with the person you're with and the timing of the relationship, as with everything in life.

Marriage is hard work, and both have to be willing to put in the effort required to keep it alive and healthy. Drawing from this, I believe one is 'marriage material' when they are ready to do this.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 2:21 pm

oh. i got thrown by the swooping angel stuff

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 2:29 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Being divorced, I can safely say it has a lot to do with the person you're with and the timing of the relationship, as with everything in life.

Marriage is hard work, and both have to be willing to put in the effort required to keep it alive and healthy. Drawing from this, I believe one is 'marriage material' when they are ready to do this.

Never been married, but I'd agree this would have to be at the core of it.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 2:30 pm

OneStepBeyond wrote:

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
(don't worry - I don't literally see women as angels, I guess I just felt like explaining what a 'brain on drugs' in the testosterone sense is like for those who haven't been there :lol: )

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 2:31 pm

i read it i read it

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 2:33 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
OneStepBeyond wrote:

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
(don't worry - I don't literally see women as angels, I guess I just felt like explaining what a 'brain on drugs' in the testosterone sense is like for those who haven't been there :lol: )

Lol, I hate it when you quote yourself to explain yourself. If you're going to insist on being so confusing all the time, you're going to have to be patient with us.