Rape, Victim-Blaming, and... random stuff about religion

Page 9 of 9 [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 8:27 pm

HisDivineMajesty wrote:
There are two types of people with Asperger's syndrome that I've met. One type that's trusting, and somewhat naive, and occasionally bound to get in trouble, but liked and respected for that. The other type looks for signs or indicators of something going wrong very actively, could be described as mildly paranoid, and is disliked for those traits even when they're useful.

It can be a hit and miss either way. In one scenario, you are trusting people who give indicators that they may betray your trust, and in the other, you may misinterpret signs and end up mistrusting someone who is trustworthy. I can see why the latter may be disliked (imagine how you would feel if someone mistrusted you for no reason)

Anyways, good job for pointing it out.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 8:34 pm

HisDivineMajesty wrote:
Who are we talking about? If it's me, I know more than you think. I lack experience, but that's not because of me being unaware of anything. As for estimating people's intentions, I'm about as close to omniscience as it gets. Say, do you remember HipsterChick? I had no idea who it was, but I had a very-developed sense saying what it was. If you ever come across a similar situation, remember this: if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. Also, don't be a white knight acting on good intentions alone, but I suppose that's something most people have yet to learn.

Hipsterchick didn't comment on it either way after people started saying she is actually a guy. :? And also said she/he wouldn't post a pic of herself no matter what. lol

TM
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 8:39 pm

deltafunction wrote:

Yeah, HipsterChick was a bit too much of a flake, and I honestly found it too rude to be real that she didn't reply to any well-intentioned posts.

But what can you do. Us aspies tend to be trusting.

HipsterChick was easy to pick out though, especially in that second post.

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 8:41 pm

JanuaryMan wrote:
If you had definitive answers on blaming and rape this topic would have reached 2-3 pages of agreement and possibly a few side comments from the more autistic of us that are rather bitter. But as it stands I see a lot of counter arguing for 8-9 pages. I'd like to think my comment is justified.

Why? People denying something does not make the person arguing in favour of a point ignorant or inexperienced. How would science work if there was no room for discussion whatsoever and everything believed now by undergraduates would be taken for truth until the end of time itself - after all, if they can't convince others easily, they must not be knowing what they're talking about, right?

TM wrote:

What, the one about settling for a poet? It had a tiny amount of literary value - I'd expect it to be said by a greasy old man in a disreputable stand-up cafe.

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 8:50 pm

HisDivineMajesty wrote:
JanuaryMan wrote:
If you had definitive answers on blaming and rape this topic would have reached 2-3 pages of agreement and possibly a few side comments from the more autistic of us that are rather bitter. But as it stands I see a lot of counter arguing for 8-9 pages. I'd like to think my comment is justified.

Why? People denying something does not make the person arguing in favour of a point ignorant or inexperienced. How would science work if there was no room for discussion whatsoever and everything believed now by undergraduates would be taken for truth until the end of time itself - after all, if they can't convince others easily, they must not be knowing what they're talking about, right?

Sometimes, when you look at a situation from the outside, or from your unique point of view (everyone has one), you miss what is actually going on. The best way to avoid that is to take in information from all sides, considering all options, and also where the person who is giving the opinion is coming from (where is their information coming from? is this opinion or fact? are they backing up what they are saying?). Then a consensus would have been reached faster.

TM
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 8:53 pm

HisDivineMajesty wrote:
TM wrote:

What, the one about settling for a poet? It had a tiny amount of literary value - I'd expect it to be said by a greasy old man in a disreputable stand-up cafe.

That one, plus the original was seeping with deceit. When he wrote the recap of his date with the rapist, it became obvious because the description was a textbook example of s**t you can read on lovefraud.

Then again, with hipsters you never know because they are so screwed up in the head in many ways that delusion and their reality is joined at the hip.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 8:58 pm

TM wrote:
HisDivineMajesty wrote:
TM wrote:

That one, plus the original was seeping with deceit. When he wrote the recap of his date with the rapist, it became obvious because the description was a textbook example of sh** you can read on lovefraud.

Then again, with hipsters you never know because they are so screwed up in the head in many ways that delusion and their reality is joined at the hip.

Guys pretending to be girls often put words like "chick" in their username to make sure everybody sees that they're allegedly female.

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 9:00 pm

Venger wrote:
Guys pretending to be girls often put words like "chick" in their username to make sure everybody sees that they're allegedly female.

And use pictures of Zooey Deschanel as their display picture

TM
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 9:09 pm

Venger wrote:
TM wrote:
HisDivineMajesty wrote:
TM wrote:

That one, plus the original was seeping with deceit. When he wrote the recap of his date with the rapist, it became obvious because the description was a textbook example of sh** you can read on lovefraud.

Men and women tend to write and speak differently as well. However, aspie women tend to write more similar to males.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 10:58 pm

to all: HipsterChick has been banned, so please cease discussion about "her" (it violates the rules). thank you.

HisDivineMajesty, i do not know if your judgement is good in general terms. you have stated for yourself that you hold misogynistic ideas, so i do not believe you could be objective in some discussions regarding women. perhaps sometimes you may have a good idea, but since you are approaching every discussion from a negative starting point about the entire gender, i believe it would be a futile activity to engage you in debate about social issues that primarily involve females.

so as a fellow member i am not likely to take your opinions about females seriously, whereas i am quite likely to listen to someone who has a balanced perspective. women are not perfect, but they are not evil manipulators either (nor are men, for that matter). i tend to give credence to opinions that come from members who keep that in mind.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 4:58 pm

TM wrote:
Venger wrote:
TM wrote:
HisDivineMajesty wrote:
TM wrote:

Men and women tend to write and speak differently as well. However, aspie women tend to write more similar to males.

Interesting, perhaps this research is relevant to that observation:

http://sfari.org/news-and-opinion/in-brief/2012/cognition-and-behavior-asperger-brains-similar-across-sexes

Quote:
Specifically, men have more total white matter and more gray matter within the right parietal operculum, a region that plays a role in empathy, than women do. This suggests that these features are characteristic of a ‘male’ brain, the researchers say.

The difference in the volumes of total white matter and local gray matter between men and women is smaller in the group with Asperger syndrome than in controls. This suggests that the brains of women with the syndrome have more ‘male’ brain characteristics than those of controls, the researchers say.

The men with Asperger syndrome do not have more total white matter or more gray matter in the right parietal operculum compared with controls, however. The finding challenges the idea that men with Asperger syndrome have brains that are structurally more ‘male’ than those of controls.

Among controls, the men’s brains also have greater connectivity — as measured by the flow of water through the brain — than the women’s brains in a number of regions, including the corpus callosum, which connects the two hemispheres. This difference in connectivity between males and females is also smaller among the brains of individuals with Asperger syndrome