What's a good book for NT's who are married to aspies?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

littlegreenleaf
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Nov 2012, 10:38 pm

Funnily enough my husband and I got married last week and we actually met on these forums.

Anyway, while we both feel like our relationship is great, he is mentioned that I could probably benefit from a book about autism because sometimes I have a hard time being understanding with certain things. Any advice is welcome as well as relevant blogs.

sisterphoenix
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Nov 2012, 10:59 pm

Well, I'm poised to buy a book, as I'm dating as AS man:

"The Other Half of Asperger Syndrome: A guide to an Intimate Relationship with a Partner who has Asperger Syndrome" is one that I thought looked good. And one was just recommended to me by someone here: Asperger Syndrome - A Love Story

Good luck. This can be a challenge, I think. Sometimes I wonder why I'm working so hard on this.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 3:48 pm

I recommend that you NOT read "loving mr spock", it's terrible. Avoid it like the plague.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 3:56 pm

MONKEY wrote:
I recommend that you NOT read "loving mr spock", it's terrible. Avoid it like the plague.

Is that the one by Barbera Jacobs? I haven't read it, though some people complain about "The Other half of Asperger Syndrome" and Maxine Aston in general.

ManicDan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Nov 2012, 4:02 pm

im reading "Be Different" written by someone everyone here should know. and 30% in and ive already recommended it to 2 people i know.

sbarne3
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2012, 8:42 pm

"The Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, and One Man's Quest to Be a Better Husband" by David Finch
It's written from an aspie perspective so it would help you to better understand how we think about things.
The only thing is that it contains very strong language in certain parts so be warned about that, but other than that I can't recommend this book enough.
It uses a lot of humor to help drive the points home... which I loved!

aspiesandra27
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 1:58 am

I cant recommend this book enough

Written by a NT woman and an Aspie man. It is fabulous.

Asperger Syndrome a Love Story by Sarah Hendrickx and Keith Newton, And I have a fair amount of books on the subject.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 7:19 am

Jono wrote:
MONKEY wrote:

Is that the one by Barbera Jacobs? I haven't read it, though some people complain about "The Other half of Asperger Syndrome" and Maxine Aston in general.

Yup! The boyfriend's a complete a***hole and Barbara keeps making excuses for him, and blaming every single personality trait on AS even if it's something completely unrelated.