Is the world too "cruel" a place to raise children?

Page 1 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 8:43 am

I'm wondering: Do most people believe the world is "too cruel a place" to have and raise children? I happen the think some facets of the world suck--but not enough to preclude one from creating new life, and taking pleasure from the raising of children.

The "poll" features seems to not exist any more. I wanted this to be a survey-type situation.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 8:46 am

In Middle-East, certainly it is.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 8:50 am

Right now--you're right, it's pretty bad.

But how about a few years from now? When things quiet down, and ISIS is blown to smithereens?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 8:51 am

It was always bad way before ISIS.

ISIS is just a one new s**t.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 8:54 am

I'm not a religious person by any means-

But don't people take solace from having kids/families, even amid all the strife?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 9:01 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm not a religious person by any means-

But don't people take solace from having kids/families, even amid all the strife?

And that's pretty selfish, but yeah, they see in having kids as one of the few solace sources.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 9:04 am

yes, it is, but we dont have an alternative one...

also, it is our responsibility as humans to raise a generation that will make the world a better place, or at the very least one that motivates us to do this for, to heal our legacy.

we must have children 'becouse' the world is crap, not 'despite'.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 9:12 am

Kids are amazing, actually.

Even in the "worst" areas of the world, kids always are so resourceful in making themselves happy. They are so resilient. They don't have all those adult philosophical hang-ups.

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 9:29 am

In some places this can be a fact, but it's not an absolute truth.
I strongly believe that the influence from family and friends are stronger than the one from the environment around you.
I, for example, I was born in a very poor place here in Brazil (periphery or suburb, as you guys should call) surrounded by violence and drugs. Saw friends and even a cousin entering the life of crime during a good part of my childhood and, even still, my family was filled with so much love and caring that even coming from that environment I: Don't drink, don't smoke, never experimented a single drug, work at an engineer officer and study at one of the bests universities of my state. And I'm not an exception inside of my house. My oldest brother is married, already have it's own family and home. The cousins that lived with me are almost all at university as well (or at school) and have jobs.
So what I meant is yes, the world is full of sadness, violence and things like that but with good people around you to help it's never too dark to be considered impossible to, for example, raise a children.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 9:31 am

Yep....people rise from Favelos in Brazil, from ghettoes in the US.

All the time!

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 9:37 am

and from refugee camps in the Middle East.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 9:39 am

Definitely!

Ever notice how kids are laughing and playing in the refugee camps all over the world?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 9:49 am

kraftie, if this was inspired by my thread, bear in mind that I don't think the world is to cruel a place to raise children (the world is actually a pretty nice place some of the time), it's just that I think parenthood would be far too cruel for me.

Maybe it would be rewarding in some ways but fatherhood sounds like a pain and it has the potential to reduce my disposable income. Also being a worker/student leaves me with little time for other activities. I'm already running flat out like a lizard drinking, dealing with yet another responsibility seems like an impossibility.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 9:50 am

Are you thinking of having children kraftie? I am afraid you're too late for that.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 9:51 am

I think what you say makes sense. If you don't feel ready yet, you don't feel ready yet.

At least you know that you're not ready. I certainly wasn't ready when I was your age.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 9:52 am

Not at the moment.

It's not too late for me to have kids. I'm a relatively healthy person, and can keep up with a kid should I have one.

Maybe when I'm in my 60s.