9 Guidelines For Dating With Asperger's

Page 2 of 11 [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2016, 5:03 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Dogs are great too. I don't have one right now, but I'd love to get another one day. I think I'll be going for a smaller breed this time though. Maybe a pug.

Pugs are adorable, they are one of the small breeds that I would consider. I also would consider a Jack Russel, or a beagle (though they are more medium-sized).

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2016, 6:18 pm

wilburforce wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
Dogs are great too. I don't have one right now, but I'd love to get another one day. I think I'll be going for a smaller breed this time though. Maybe a pug.

Pugs are adorable, they are one of the small breeds that I would consider. I also would consider a Jack Russel, or a beagle (though they are more medium-sized).

Our family used to have a beagle named Clyde. He's living with my uncle and his family down in GA. I haven't seen him since Thanksgiving of 2013 when they left with him. :(

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2016, 7:48 pm

LyraLuthTinu wrote:
gwenkansen wrote:
  Read Full Article
I forget who said this, but if you’ve met one aspie, you’ve met one aspie. We’re all different. That’s the first thing to keep in mind. You shouldn’t hold yourself to neurotypical standards. But you shouldn’t define yourself by Asperger’s either. Especially not at first. If you’re calling yourself aspie89 on Tinder then you need to rethink your existence.

Don’t define yourself by Asperger’s. Because if you do, you’re going to be an empty freaking hole that no one wants to talk to. Ever.

People on the spectrum generally aren’t that approachable. It really differs for women and men though. I don’t ...

Is there supposed to be a link in the opening post? Because if there is/was, it's broken.

Thanks, Adamantium, for fixing the broken link. :)

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 1:06 am

yoloswag

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 1:07 am

Brah, you should let me write the dating articles.

Considering all of the guide threads I make.

I'm the best dating guru who isn't even a dating guru.

ReubenTubbs
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Feb 2016, 3:45 am

Thanks for this! I am having my own relationship problems and needed this.

Lonarabaran
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Feb 2016, 3:02 pm

I have to disagree with your advice in trying to figure out what we have to offer in a relationship. According to what I've read and my own personal experiences I believe that most Aspies want to be liked so they work extra hard to be worthy of others and anyone who will give us time of the day. We also tend to be naive and trust others too quickly. These traits make us vulnerable. We give too much, do too much, try to please too much and most people tend to, if not take advantage of us, take us for granted and hurt us in the end.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2016, 1:37 pm

Lonarabaran wrote:
I have to disagree with your advice in trying to figure out what we have to offer in a relationship. According to what I've read and my own personal experiences I believe that most Aspies want to be liked so they work extra hard to be worthy of others and anyone who will give us time of the day. We also tend to be naive and trust others too quickly. These traits make us vulnerable. We give too much, do too much, try to please too much and most people tend to, if not take advantage of us, take us for granted and hurt us in the end.

One can learn not to trust others so quickly and one can also become more aware and less naïve about things through experience though. Besides if one wants a relationship they kind of have to figure out what they have to offer in that, otherwise if you offer nothing to the relationship if you do get in one eventually you'll leave your significant other feeling neglected, like you don't care and feeling like they have to put all the effort in.

This does not mean not to use any caution though.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 10:51 pm

Alyosha wrote:
'We’re kind of empty.'

speak for yourself.

overall i found this article a pretty offensive read.

Substantive feelings may be somewhat alienating for us but I'm not about to ignore them. It's good to love someone, unequivocally. I'm torn about why you're guilt-tripping us in this way too. I've worked nonstop for years to give back to people I love. I can say with absolute confidence that the work I do every day feeds into everyone keeping their basic rights to expression & information on the Internet intact. There's no reason to call me divisive just because I'm a guy, plainly OP has theory of mind problems regarding the Internet. Building new resources & tools for billions of users has not once ever left me feeling empty.

Now every time I walk into a meeting with anybody who understands maxiofacial expressions, I have your ilk to thank for their erroneous preconceptions of 'creepiness'. I'm dead center in the target demography here, this exact rhetoric is why I'm taking the year off work to be more available. This stigma is absolutely wrecking my research & work prospects, the hell with that, I'll remain soft-spoken. Why did Alex publish misandrist tabloid fodder?

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

missy72744
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Feb 2016, 7:15 am

now is that from a nero to aspie relationship view or aspie to aspie just curious

Marcella P.
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Feb 2016, 12:16 am

How do you think about me doing a culture project about my family's attempt to assimilate in the autistic culture; where I would be talking to my class. I feel like autism is a culture, not a disability. Although I am still assimilating, I feel like this information could be helpful to my classmates.

missy72744
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Feb 2016, 4:39 am

I think autism is a step in evolution towards the future where human can progress without putting emotions into becoming smarter speices

DrewLewis
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Feb 2016, 7:09 am

The information you provide seems helpful. I'll try my best to keep it in mind. I have the hardest trouble trying to impress women and understanding what they want in a guy in terms of being their boyfriend/husband.

Karen145
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2016, 6:52 pm

Great article. Wish I'd known this stuff when I was dating.

You seem to have both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits.
Parent of an autistic son.

ThomasL2
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Mar 2016, 2:27 pm

androbot01 wrote:
I am still a little frustrated by the white male dominance on the home page.

OMG...

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 2:31 pm

ThomasL2 wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
I am still a little frustrated by the white male dominance on the home page.

OMG...

Oh don't get me started. I see now there are two doting females on the home page. :roll: