Are women's standards really this high?

Page 7 of 12 [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next

314pe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 3:43 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
314pe wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
^ how does someone come to that conclusion?

Unlike most other hobbies, travelling does not require you to do any activity. Hotel deals with your living situation, restaurant deals with your meals, tour guide deals with any information you need to know. Any activity is optional.

Unlike, for example, jogging, where you need to do the action yourself.

travel is such a broad concept it cannot possibly be all lumped under such simple descriptions.

planning what to do, walking to where you need to go, making efforts to get acquainted with local culture and people are all things you need to "do yourself", those latter two going doubly for aspies. can it really be called "travel" without that?

Yes, it's travel without that. As long as you go to another place it's considered travel. By definition it doesn't require any physical activity. Which is why people like to travel for holidays.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 3:51 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
314pe wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
^ how does someone come to that conclusion?

Unlike most other hobbies, travelling does not require you to do any activity. Hotel deals with your living situation, restaurant deals with your meals, tour guide deals with any information you need to know. Any activity is optional.

Unlike, for example, jogging, where you need to do the action yourself.

travel is such a broad concept it cannot possibly be all lumped under such simple descriptions.

planning what to do, walking to where you need to go, making efforts to get acquainted with local culture and people are all things you need to "do yourself", those latter two going doubly for aspies. can it really be called "travel" without that?

when i was in europe last month, i would sometimes walk over 10 miles a day and prepare my own meals.

I thought you already lived in Europe.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 4:01 am

california, actually. 8)

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 4:11 am

And you travelled through Europe by yourself?

In that case you really are more mature than me. I couldn't do that.

voidofcontext
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jan 2017, 7:05 am

314pe wrote:
Yes, it's travel without that. As long as you go to another place it's considered travel. By definition it doesn't require any physical activity. Which is why people like to travel for holidays.

I feel like you're unfairly conflating the literal act of travelling (point A to point B) with what people call 'travelling' as a means to add more weight and culture to going on a nice holiday.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

03 Jan 2017, 7:23 am

Traveling is hard, it would not be fun by yourself in my opinion. I see a lot of it as just pampering oneself with expensive restaurants and hotels or lounging on the beach, I've never been that big of fan of tourist traps. There are other ways of doing otherwise of course but in the end I do think it is a very mememe type of indulgence. The Travel Channel probably should be nuked from orbit.

314pe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 7:28 am

I don't see how traveling in Europe is hard. What part of traveling is hard for you guys?

I don't travel alone for leisure, because I think it's a waste of money, but I could do it.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 7:35 am

314pe wrote:
I don't see how traveling in Europe is hard. What part of traveling is hard for you guys?

Are you American or are you from Europe or somewhere else? The organization and money to do it are pretty big barriers, I wouldn't do it by myself as I don't think I'd find that enjoyable. It's stressful going thru airports, maybe I'm just a freak but I really hate flying. It's also like, what am I even going to do when I get there? 'Sharing in the local culture' seems pretty cliched and I always perceive not being wanted in these places by said locals.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 7:46 am

I think Europe has a wonderful culture but travelling through Europe would stress me the hell out.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 7:54 am

I have too much anxiety to travel very far within my own country, let alone to the other end of the world.

Traveling alone would he stressful but even if it wasn't the idea sounds f-cking boring tbh, but traveling abroad with family or friends would suck because they are all unbearable after not too long.

Admittedly as much as I like my friends I also paradoxically can't stand them a lot of the time either.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 7:57 am

Guys like us need a travelling partner to make it more fun. Preferably a travelling partner of the female variety.

314pe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 7:58 am

I'll admit that it's a little easier for me because I'm from Europe. Traveling among countries in EU is a lot like travelling between parts of the same country.

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I think Europe has a wonderful culture but travelling through Europe would stress me the hell out.

Why? Australia is way more dangerous than Europe, with all the deathly creatures you have there. :skull:

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 8:01 am

Business trips are stressful and no fun at all, especially when traveling alone.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 8:19 am

It's just not something I would do or enjoy on my own, I use to go on trips all the time with my family as a child but you get older and that sort of thing stops. I live on the other side of the country I was born so everyday is kind of exploring for me, living somewhere for a couple years doesn't make you feel at home there.

I imagine traveling thru of regions of Europe is like traveling thru regions of the US, the funny thing about the US is traveling thru it is that some places feel like completely different countries. Another issue for me would be language altho I know most Europeans in places people go to will probably know at least some English, not knowing a language I feel like would really prevent you from ever immersing yourself in whatever you're doing. The distance I've moved from my place of birth within America is further than the distance between Paris and Moscow to give some perspective.

voidofcontext
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jan 2017, 8:48 am

I've been to many different places (mostly with my wife) and have found just being there to be a great experience. It's not so much about expensive restaurants and tourist traps, though obviously if you go to somewhere with a famous monument or something you might think about checking it out. Some of the best things are not obvious and come from exploration and just getting involved.

I like to have a route to an event or something similar to base a trip around. A few summers ago we went to a music festival in the Czech Republic and drove from the UK and camped in different countries on the way there and back.

Travelling on my own is a little different as I'm not too good at striking up conversation with people I don't know but I'm largely happy in my own company. I'm more concerned about getting lost!!

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 10:22 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Guys like us need a travelling partner to make it more fun. Preferably a travelling partner of the female variety.

But finding a compatible traveling partner is almost as hard as finding a pink Unicorn.

Last edited by BTDT on 03 Jan 2017, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.