Have I exhausted all options?

Page 4 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2018, 7:27 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Aaron Rhodes wrote:
The only option he hasn't tried is taking an extended break from it. But then again, I doubt he'll even take that route. Sometimes all you have to do is take a step back and breath for a little while. You don't have to completely give up on dating, just take a hiatus for now until you feel confident again.

This.

I had to do that. My situation was a bit different, I did try dating some guys but nothing ever lasted. I won't go into all the details of why I think that is as that could derail this....but I did have to step back and take a break. And it did help.

I do realize these thoughts hurt me and don't get me anywhere the more I think about them. I just wish I could find a path to focus on that would make me truly confident.

Sweetleaf wrote:
Marknis wrote:

I have been in therapy since 2007. The depression (I don't use the word "my" in reference to it because I don't want to own it) has just been hard to deal with because of how sick the culture I live in is, my home life has been an unending spiral of drama, and there is a genetic component to it since a good number of my relatives suffer from depression as well. I also get bombarded with questions such as "Do you have a girlfriend? Are you married? Are in college? Did you graduate? What's your career plan?" and I get sick of having to say "No..." when I really want to say "Yes!" for a change.

Well then perhaps the therapy you're getting does not help. I admit I never had any real luck with CBT, which tends to be the most common for depression. For me I had to get trauma therapy, I mean it was to help me with PTSD, but even if you don't have PTSD it could still maybe help with setting you free from the past or at least something like that. Seriously though that helped me a lot more than CBT talk therapy.

Also of those questions I can only say I have a boyfriend and graduated high school, no college graduation, no career plan or path.

I actually lost my therapy earlier this year and even though I did have an appointment with a new therapist last week, I don't know what kind of therapy he is trained in. I don't think it's so much that the therapy wasn't helping but that so many external forces kept me in a vicious cycle.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2018, 10:34 pm

I do feel you need to see somebody objective----like a psychotherapist.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2018, 9:29 am

I had an appointment last week but I can't see this person again until near the end of next month.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2018, 1:11 pm

Mr.Robot wrote:
Take a break from it, find something to do you're passionate about and try to find groups that share the same interest. Even if it is a 'Magic : The Gathering' related club (And yes, they do exist! What a surprising find), find something you can use to socialize with people, no matter how difficult the interactions might be. Don't look for a partner, because that never goes anywhere...

Let it happen naturally. The longer you search, the least you will find

I know those exist and I've actually been to a Magic game night but it wasn't a good experience. Magic is also not my kind of hobby.

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2018, 8:02 pm

Marknis wrote:
Mr.Robot wrote:
Take a break from it, find something to do you're passionate about and try to find groups that share the same interest. Even if it is a 'Magic : The Gathering' related club (And yes, they do exist! What a surprising find), find something you can use to socialize with people, no matter how difficult the interactions might be. Don't look for a partner, because that never goes anywhere...

I know those exist and I've actually been to a Magic game night but it wasn't a good experience. Magic is also not my kind of hobby.

It actually was just one of many examples that i had on my mind...

Ecomatt91
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2018, 8:20 pm

Ditto. I have also exhausted all options too. So far I have done in past 9 years:

Dating websites (PoF, Okcupid, eHarmony, Aspiedating, Disabledmates, RSVP, Tinder, Bumble....etc)
Asking for blind dates
Getting a wingman
Asked families for advice
Asked friends for advice
Talked to sexuality psychologist
Attend a dating and relationship workshops
Went to nightclubs
Attended regular common interest groups events and meetings (environmental, social justice, climate change, politics, activism....etc)
Took gym and fitness group classes, including bootcamps
Traveled with group of people including overseas trips

The options I am not considering are:
Hire a sex worker
Try alcohol and drugs
Pretend to be a party animal

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2018, 1:18 pm

Ecomatt91 wrote:
Ditto. I have also exhausted all options too. So far I have done in past 9 years:

Dating websites (PoF, Okcupid, eHarmony, Aspiedating, Disabledmates, RSVP, Tinder, Bumble....etc)
Asking for blind dates
Getting a wingman
Asked families for advice
Asked friends for advice
Talked to sexuality psychologist
Attend a dating and relationship workshops
Went to nightclubs
Attended regular common interest groups events and meetings (environmental, social justice, climate change, politics, activism....etc)
Took gym and fitness group classes, including bootcamps
Traveled with group of people including overseas trips

The options I am not considering are:
Hire a sex worker
Try alcohol and drugs
Pretend to be a party animal

I hate dating sites to the point I swore them off completely.

Even drunk girls don't look at me. :(

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2018, 2:12 pm

Have you tried what several people on here have suggested & focused on improving yourself via diet and exercise until you look and feel attractive to the opposite sex?

If not, then you have yet to exhaust all options.

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2018, 5:48 pm

TheSpectrum wrote:
I'd say you've tried all options, but not exhausted them.
It would be more accurate to say that you are personally exhausted with them.
You've approached each with the wrong attitude.

You are correct.

:::)

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 12:48 am

I used to hope I would overcome my struggles like what happens in so many stories, both real and fictional. My tale won't have a happy ending.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 1:16 am

Marknis wrote:
I used to hope I would overcome my struggles like what happens in so many stories, both real and fictional. My tale won't have a happy ending.

Probably not unless you pay extra, from what I hear, anyways.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 1:27 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Marknis wrote:

Probably not unless you pay extra, from what I hear, anyways.

He said tale, not tail :lol:

Mantis
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jun 2018, 1:45 am

Mr.Robot wrote:

Don't let it happen naturally, it probably won't. I'm 38, I've had several long periods of my life where I tried to let it happen "naturally". If it was going to happen naturally it would've probably already happened and OP wouldn't be here asking about it. I had a period where I just followed my interest in chess, became very active in the community for several years. But as it is a male dominated activity, any women that were involved were generally taken or the recipients of overwhelming amounts of attention. There were exactly zero opportunities for anything romantic to arise out of those social connections.

Funnily enough I once saw a man so clueless about social interactions that he tried to approach and ask out a women in the middle of a tournament when her clock was running and it was her move. Also saw a women who always showed up to her tournament games baring her ample cleavage, kind of struck me as an underhanded tactic but I'm assuming it worked pretty well for her.

Pursuing and winning over women is a skill and its painful and unpleasant and uncomfortable and there's nothing natural about persisting in trying to get better at something that you suck at and hate doing. Even if you are fortunate enough to find ways to improve through the pain, there are no guarantees that you'll get what you want in the end. However, that's a better road then just "acting natural". Acting natural is for naturals.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 9:13 pm

Someone please lock this now.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2018, 2:52 am

Mantis wrote:
Pursuing and winning over women is a skill and its painful and unpleasant and uncomfortable and there's nothing natural about persisting in trying to get better at something that you suck at and hate doing.

Sure, but if it is unpleasant, uncomfortable and you hate it, then it cannot be natural. I think you have been socialized too much into what is natural for NTs, and so now you actually believe it is natural for you too.

Mantis wrote:
Even if you are fortunate enough to find ways to improve through the pain, there are no guarantees that you'll get what you want in the end. However, that's a better road then just "acting natural". Acting natural is for naturals.

No, now when you know that chasing women that way is not natural to you simply stop doing it that way and act natural according to what is natural for you instead. IOW, no asking out, no trying to win over women.