Why being a woman must suck at times!

Page 4 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 3:36 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
What sucks about being a woman is that men think they know how we think and feel and how we experience things without actually asking us and then if we disagree we must be lying to ourselves.

Hey doc this painkiller does work for me. 'Rubbish we've tested it and it works to relieve pain.'

Did you test it on any women?

'Dont be stupid. Why would we do that? It should just work for everyone.'

Do women say things like this to men?

No self-respecting doctor would act like that, this story sounds like some sketch from a comedy show - it is not very believable.

One fundamental thing in medicine that there's no med/drug that works for everyone, every real doctor should know that- and pharma companies should surely test all its drugs on both genders, I think (except gender specific drugs like anti pregnancy pills).

I was using hyperbole to make a point. I did a quick Google and found so many articles about the fact that clinical trials use men rather than women I wasn't sure which my one to link to make my point.

It's a known issue.

Ironically it did start because women were being protected, especially after the issues with thalidomide and pregnant women. No one wanted to risk damaging unborn children again.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 3:57 am

hurtloam wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
What sucks about being a woman is that men think they know how we think and feel and how we experience things without actually asking us and then if we disagree we must be lying to ourselves.

Hey doc this painkiller does work for me. 'Rubbish we've tested it and it works to relieve pain.'

No self-respecting doctor would act like that, this story sounds like some sketch from a comedy show - it is not very believable.

One fundamental thing in medicine that there's no med/drug that works for everyone, every real doctor should know that- and pharma companies should surely test all its drugs on both genders, I think (except gender specific drugs like anti pregnancy pills).

I was using hyperbole to make a point. I did a quick Google and found so many articles about the fact that clinical trials use men rather than women I wasn't sure which my one to link to make my point.

It's a known issue.

Ironically it did start because women were being protected, especially after the issues with thalidomide and pregnant women. No one wanted to risk damaging unborn children again.

Yes, I recall now this issue.

I sounds stupid because they are risking to damage more like this; but there's no solution for that.

Darkrose50
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Sep 2017, 9:05 am

Men are apparently 13% stronger than women.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 9:14 am

Darkrose50 wrote:

doesn't seem right...

I can move 2-3x as much weight in pretty much any movement, compared to women in my gym.

Darkrose50

20 Sep 2017, 9:18 am

hurtloam wrote:

[1] I have had horrible luck with doctors.
[2] Trust their expertise, but know they are guessing.
[3] Use the expertise of doctors as a resource.
[4] Double-check their work . . . seriously Google what they tell you.
[5] I have mitigated much suffering from not taking what a doctor says as fact.
[5b] Dizziness caused by rocks in my head (inner ear) caused by moisture and/or inflammation caused by sinusitis caused by a deviated septum . . . fixed by surgery . . . my research . . . doctors were frankly annoying . . . FOR YEARS.
[5c] "No that medication does not have that side effect" . . . Google . . . yes it does.
[5d] "Your problem is in your head" . . . Google . . . no you are a f*****g idiot . . . I have a pinched Ulnar nerve.
[5e] "Don't self diagnose" . . . OMG are you f*****g serious? I check Google before I ask you, because you are often wrong.

Darkrose50

20 Sep 2017, 9:30 am

Closet Genious wrote:
Darkrose50 wrote:

doesn't seem right...

I can move 2-3x as much weight in pretty much any movement, compared to women in my gym.

It could be wrong. I heard it on NPR. It also depends on what they are measuring. Perhaps this is an aggregate.

" . . . the very strongest female athletes are barely above the median of grip strength for men." http://www.unz.com/gnxp/men-are-stronge ... n-average/

Men seem to be CRAZY stronger with grips (~160% on average?). I guess that is why we open all the jars.

"According to the National Strength and Conditioning Association, women generally produce about two-thirds the amount of total strength and applied force that men produce. Women are also physically built so that they generally carry two-thirds as much muscle mass as men. This proves that there is, in fact, a difference in strength, that men are typically stronger, and that most of the difference is based on body size and muscle cross-sectional area alone." http://www.livestrong.com/article/28688 ... -vs-women/

So 33% stronger (likely on average, not the extreme higher end). I must have misheard the NPR story.

Last edited by Darkrose50 on 20 Sep 2017, 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 9:40 am

Being a woman sucks if the woman is transgender and feels like a man trapped in a woman's body.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 9:46 am

Closet Genious wrote:
Darkrose50 wrote:

doesn't seem right...

Couldn't be because the promoted ideal female beauty isn't over-muscled while the promoted male ideal beauty is over muscled?

I am sure a lot of women fear to end up to look "masculine" if they weight lift too much.

There are men who move 2-3x of weight compared to other men.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 10:13 am

Chronos wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Chronos wrote:
2. Not given the man pass: More harshly punished and criticized for workplace failures or mess ups.

3. Less likely to be included in career building social outings, or have access to mentors.

I work in a pre-dominately female environment (Public library) so I wonder if I have an unique perspective. My supervisor is a woman and so are her assistants. If I make a mistake, I almost immediately get a harsh lecture for it and I'll keep getting told "Don't forget about x" as if I constantly need to be reminded.

My supervisor, one of her assistants, and some of the other women have a "circle" and if you aren't in that circle, you are not spared being reprimanded from things like using your cellphone and using the internet despite how everyone in the circle uses their cellphones and does Google searching on the job. The harsh tones of voice I get in comparison to the tone the women give each other makes me wonder if they think because I am a man that I am supposed to "take it".

I've been at my job for ten years and I've never been promoted or offered a promotion. I've also only have been given two raises and the last one was for 20 cents.

Men in female dominated fields tend to earn more and be promoted faster than women in female dominated fields but if we saw more men enter female dominated fields, experiences such as yours may increase.

I do know one extreme exception. Someone who cut off our friendship went into a male dominated field (Exercise gym) and was quickly promoted manager. I am not exactly sure how long it took but it was less than half a year for her. Despite grinding away at the public library for ten years, I've never been given any offers of higher positions. It could be that I am just not very assertive and confident but the fact remains that I've been in a complacent position for a long time.

This ex-friend also had no problem getting dates and immediately had a new boyfriend after breaking up with her previous one after she moved close to where I live. I tried using dating sites over the same summer (2016) after not using them for a long time as well as calling a dating service in Austin but the dating sites were just history repeating itself and I was denied the dating service because I only work part time.

I really hate it when SJW feminists claim I have white male heterosexual privilege. What they don't get is that the Bible Belt cancels that out because I don't fit the mold of the culture around me. Other white people attack me for not being a "big strong man" as well as not calling myself a Christian, other men don't "have my back" but haze me, and most of the women here think I am undateable for still living with my mother, only working part time, not having a "real man's body", not being fanatical about sports, and not calling myself a Christian.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 11:00 am

Quote:
Couldn't be because the promoted ideal female beauty isn't over-muscled while the promoted male ideal beauty is over muscled?

Feeling that you have to look good is something that both genders are still dealing with. It is hurting both men and women.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 11:03 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Closet Genious wrote:
Darkrose50 wrote:

doesn't seem right...

I am sure a lot of women fear to end up to look "masculine" if they weight lift too much.

I move 2-3x as much as the women who are serious about lifting.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 11:18 am

Closet Genious wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Closet Genious wrote:
Darkrose50 wrote:

doesn't seem right...

They may be serious but they may be less likely to gradually increase the weights; and less likely to take supplements, for the reasons stated above.

I notice that most women in gym (including serious ones) stick to 5-10 kgs of weights and remain so forever, i am sure they can do more.

Darkrose50

20 Sep 2017, 11:58 am

Closet Genious wrote:

So woman are 2/3 are strong as men on average. I wounder where your 2/3 strength-equivalent women are running around?

Man combined wight lifting record 473 kg (?)
Woman combined wight lifting record 348 kg kg (?)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_w ... ghtlifting

Last edited by Darkrose50 on 20 Sep 2017, 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 11:59 am

If a woman has a platonic friendship with a man,people always assume they are a couple.One of my few friends is male and once in a blue moon we get together do something.People ask if he's my BF.Why can't people realize men and women can be friends without sex being involved?? :?

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 12:02 pm

Misslizard wrote:
If a woman has a platonic friendship with a man,people always assume they are a couple.One of my few friends is male and once in a blue moon we get together do something.People ask if he's my BF.Why can't people realize men and women can be friends without sex being involved?? :?

Sadly, sex is something that has become apart of our culture. It certainly feels inescapable.

Darkrose50

20 Sep 2017, 12:02 pm

Misslizard wrote:

I went to the store to pick up a TV with a friend who is a girl (her dad is some famous engineer that designs TV's). She remarked that everyone must think that we were married. It was an odd sensation.