What is misogyny? What is misandry?

Page 4 of 18 [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 10:49 pm

And shouldn’t the question relate to love and dating, since it’s in said folder?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

314pe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 11:50 pm

Some believe that institutionalized misandry doesn't and can't exist due to patriarchy. I think this is what MushroomPrincess meant to say.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 12:26 am

Chronos wrote:
Well now that Aaendi and Boo have attacked women and MushroomPrincess has attacked men, I think this thread should be locked.

You realize that my post was pure sarcasm, do you?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 12:32 am

MushroomPrincess wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
MushroomPrincess wrote:
"Misogyny" is a social condition in which boys and men grow up learning that they are superior to girls and women, and deserve greater freedom and independence.

"Misandry" doesn't exist.

Do you need a hug?

Do you? You complain about the fictitious spook of "misandry" more than any other WP user I can think of.

Chronos wrote:
Well now that Aaendi and Boo have attacked women and MushroomPrincess has attacked men, I think this thread should be locked.

I've attacked no one.

Sorry, I have a girlfriend.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 12:45 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Chronos wrote:

No. How would I?

But regardless, the thread should be locked.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 1:13 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
TheAP wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
misogynist:
1- A man who hates women as much as women hate each another.

"Woman: This new gal employee shows off her cleavage all the time, she must be a b***h.
Man: Yeah, I hate those women who wear like her for attention.
Woman: You're a misogynist, you hate all women!!"

I think most women who would get mad at such comments from a man would disapprove of such comments coming from a woman as well.

No, I don't agree----cuz, there's that ol' thing about "*I* can talk about US, but YOU can't!!" (meaning, a woman can, pretty much, say whatever she wants to, about another woman, but a MAN better not EVEN TRY - at least, in THIS country).

True, you just have to check the anti-women threads by women on Women's Discussion section. The way that some female members cussed "NT women" (Who are 99% of the planet's women) beats the misogyny of the most misogynist men.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=171999

viewtopic.php?t=294708

It's a common narrative in that section, if males talked about "NT women" in the same way and tone they would be banned immediately.

and someone once told me:

BirdInFlight wrote:
Face of Boo, maybe it's similar to the thing where you're allowed to criticize your own family members, but woe betide the outsider who criticizes them to your face.

So you women are all like one big family. :lol:

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 1:34 am

These threads on misogyny, and similar "war of the sexes" threads, are the exact reason that WrongPlanet has such a bad reputation, and is perhaps the number one reason that people, particularly women, leave the site.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 1:48 am

Chronos wrote:
These threads on misogyny, and similar "war of the sexes" threads, are the exact reason that WrongPlanet has such a bad reputation, and is perhaps the number one reason that people, particularly women, leave the site.

It exists in all relationships forums.

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2017, 1:53 am

Chronos wrote:
Perhaps some academic has decided to redefine misandry much in the way that they have the word "racism"

In which case, I feel it pertinent to ask what you think you know that the academics (people who study social phenomena for a living) don't.

The experts say misandry doesn't exist. This can only mean one of three things:
1) The majority of social scientists are deliberately misleading the public, in some nefarious conspiracy the purpose of which I can't even begin to imagine. It begs the question: Why?
2) The majority of social scientists have, with all their cleverness, managed to reach precisely the same wrong conclusion, which to me seems as likely as a room full of math professors unanimously coming to agree that two plus two equals five. It begs the question: How?
3) Misandry doesn't exist. It begs no further question.

I'm gonna go with my intuition (and Occam's Razor) here. Misandry doesn't exist. You're free to believe what you will, but I'm siding with the experts on this one.

Chronos wrote:

Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere 8)

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 1:59 am

MushroomPrincess wrote:
Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere 8)

You have a good backbone and opinionated (even tho I rarely agree with you), I respect that.

jaj vIghaj!

(Klingon warrior salute)

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 2:02 am

Chronos wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Chronos wrote:

No. How would I?

Why should it be locked?

Btw, the "Misandry doesn't exist" is a very common belief among feminists, MushroomPrincess didn't invent it, and they have plenty of articles, often based on human history, explaining their theory on that - you're surely not an active feminist.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 2:13 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Chronos wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Chronos wrote:

No. How would I?

Why should it be locked?

Btw, the "Misandry doesn't exist" is a very common belief among feminists, MushroomPrincess didn't invent it, and they have plenty of articles, often based on human history, explaining their theory on that - you're surely not an active feminist.

It should be locked because of the attacks by both sexes on the opposite sex.

I am at the intersection of egalitarianism and realism. There are some inherent physical inequalities of the sexes, by nature of being a sexually dimorphic species, but no one individual person should be vilified or treated poorly because of their sex. Misogyny and misandry is the same to me, only applied to opposite sexes. I do not like being wrongfully vilified for the mere fact that I am female and I do not like when a person who is a man is vilified for the mere fact that he is a man.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 2:20 am

Chronos wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Chronos wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Chronos wrote:

No. How would I?

Why should it be locked?

I am at the intersection of egalitarianism and realism. There are some inherent physical inequalities of the sexes, by nature of being a sexually dimorphic species, but no one individual person should be vilified or treated poorly because of their sex. Misogyny and misandry is the same to me, only applied to opposite sexes. I do not like being wrongfully vilified for the mere fact that I am female and I do not like when a person who is a man is vilified for the mere fact that he is a man.

http://www.ravishly.com/2015/01/07/myth ... nalization

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 02 Oct 2017, 2:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 2:27 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Chronos wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Chronos wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Chronos wrote:

No. How would I?

Why should it be locked?

If you were to dig to the root of these theories and word redefinitions, at the heart of it you will find a professor in an obscure field with zero to few job prospects outside of academia, who needs to keep themselves relevant by creating controversy.

Misogyny is the hatred of women.
Misandry is the hatred of men.

They both exist. It's that simple.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 2:30 am

Chronos wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Chronos wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Chronos wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Chronos wrote:

No. How would I?

Why should it be locked?

If you were to dig to the root of these theories and word redefinitions, at the heart of it you will find a professor in an obscure field with zero to few job prospects outside of academia, who needs to keep themselves relevant by creating controversy.

I don't disagree with you on that.

But there was no attack, my post was an obvious joke that flew over your head, and MushroomPrincess is expressing a widespread belief - and she didn't attack men.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2017, 2:35 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Chronos wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Chronos wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Chronos wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Chronos wrote:

No. How would I?

Why should it be locked?

I don't disagree with you on that.

But there was no attack, my post was an obvious joke that flew over your head, and MushroomPrincess is expressing a widespread belief - and she didn't attack men.

I accept your claim that you were being sarcastic but the thread should still be locked.