Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 12:59 pm

emmasma wrote:
sly279 wrote:
emmasma wrote:
TheSpectrum wrote:
emma, do you advertise your weaknesses? If not, why not?

I haven't put my profile public anywhere yet. Its still kind of a future plan type thing. I really dont know how I would even do it as a somewhat mentally ill single mom without kid free time. This is an observation I made while "window shopping"
I'm not sure as a woman I would feel safe displaying to much of my frailties. There are men who prefer meek women because they can control them. It can be dangerous and is not even uncommon.

I think I might put "opinionated aspie introvert seeking same" when I do though. Or something like that.

There’s just as many manipulative controlling women who seek weak submissive men to control and abuse.

Also don’t like how you use window shop. But sadly that’s how most women see dating. Men are objects in a store. Many of us are in that dark dusty back corner for times no one wants that set on clearance for years.

I do agree that men can be victims too. I don't agree that it happens as much or as severely. You are right though, everyone should be careful.
The window shopping comment is offensive and I apologize. It is similar I am looking at and comparing attributes of something that I want and cannot have, just not due to money cost. Sorry if my comparison was insensitive.

I think you are severely wrong about that. You are operating on the assumption that women are inherently more likely to be good people. The dark sides of femininity just play out differently(usually psychological and economical), but can be equally devastating.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 1:20 pm

This thread's hilarious.

Better advice for guys who know they have poor social skills is figure out what kind of women could date them and be happy, then make an effort to go out and talk to that specific type of woman. Being cognizant of weaknesses and sharing them if the 'strengths and weakness' question comes on in a job interview can earn you self-awareness points if you spin it right, when you're being sized up as a potential mate it's just bad all the way around. I don't want to dive off into evolutionary psychology but I suppose if the family was starving or thugs and invaders were threatening the family's safety, 'We're going to die or be slaves but thank God my husband's a self-aware guy' typically wasn't a line of reasoning that would occur to people. It's one of the few areas, perhaps the primary area, where the cruelty of nature pipes most directly back into the cruelty of humanity toward itself.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

emmasma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Nov 2017, 1:49 pm

Closet Genious wrote:
emmasma wrote:
sly279 wrote:
emmasma wrote:
TheSpectrum wrote:

I haven't put my profile public anywhere yet. Its still kind of a future plan type thing. I really dont know how I would even do it as a somewhat mentally ill single mom without kid free time. This is an observation I made while "window shopping"
I'm not sure as a woman I would feel safe displaying to much of my frailties. There are men who prefer meek women because they can control them. It can be dangerous and is not even uncommon.

I think I might put "opinionated aspie introvert seeking same" when I do though. Or something like that.

There’s just as many manipulative controlling women who seek weak submissive men to control and abuse.

Also don’t like how you use window shop. But sadly that’s how most women see dating. Men are objects in a store. Many of us are in that dark dusty back corner for times no one wants that set on clearance for years.

I do agree that men can be victims too. I don't agree that it happens as much or as severely. You are right though, everyone should be careful.
The window shopping comment is offensive and I apologize. It is similar I am looking at and comparing attributes of something that I want and cannot have, just not due to money cost. Sorry if my comparison was insensitive.

I think you are severely wrong about that. You are operating on the assumption that women are inherently more likely to be good people. The dark sides of femininity just play out differently(usually psychological and economical), but can be equally devastating.

Nope, in fact I don't get along well with women. I'm weird and they bully me socially. Any workplace that I enter with a strong "b**ch click" I do not last long at all.
I have had female friends take advantage of me both psychologically and economically to meet their needs.
I am operating on the fact that women are physically smaller and weaker on average. They have been expected by society to respect the wishes of men and not had basic rights of their own for most of history in many cultures. There are many that still believe it should be this way, and women are at least to some extent considered a sort of property of their men.

Last edited by emmasma on 03 Nov 2017, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emmasma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Nov 2017, 2:08 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:
Advertising your weaknesses as a man is rarely a good idea.

This.

And let's not forget that dating sites are pure sausage fest, the number of males are like 20X times at least than women, so there's a huge competition on the men side.

I'm saying that I do not consider it a weakness. Some people like the broody solitary types. I am one of them and I simply observed that no one puts this in their profiles. I think it is a missed opportunity which could be taken advantage of by men wishing to set themselves apart. In my post I put quotations around the word "weakness" because people seem to be hiding it as if it is, rather than displaying it as a quality. I never meant call it a weakness.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 2:20 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
It's one of the few areas, perhaps the primary area, where the cruelty of nature pipes most directly back into the cruelty of humanity toward itself.

Also I should probably clarify - I mean that the way men are biologically impelled to handle women and women biologically impelled to handle men, ie. the Darwinian evolution game.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 5:13 pm

emmasma wrote:
sly279 wrote:
emmasma wrote:
TheSpectrum wrote:

Im not stronger then lot of women. I never cared to be strong.
I disagree it probably does but men aren’t about to tell others they got abused by a woman. They’ll be mocked and made fun of or just not believed. My brothers wife abused him while also selling his need meds and cheating on him.

Things you want and can’t have?

fiber bundle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Nov 2017, 7:59 am

No offense, but that is a terrible idea.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 2:21 am

It seems there's an absolute consensus from all men here that it's a terrible idea to show weakness as men.

Good, the men here aren't as delusional.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

09 Nov 2017, 4:42 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
It seems there's an absolute consensus from all men here that it's a terrible idea to show weakness as men.

So the men who are trying to attract other men shouldn't show weakness.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 4:44 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Good, the men here aren't as delusional.

I said it’s a stupid idea in my first post.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 8:13 am

In an ideal world it would be practical for people to be painfully honest about themselves.

Unfortunately, rather than living in an ideal world, we live in a world where the mechanics of the fundamental game - selection - work to assure that what's weak doesn't make it into the next generation. If all it meant is that women who didn't want to have kids or were too old to have kids found sweethearts that might be okay but that's not really the issue either as the process itself seems to angle toward not just de-selecting but also taking away status, respectability, and sending people in the 'persona non grata' direction.

There are odd cases where men or women have had their natural priorities significantly changed by certain kinds of life experiences, a guy can show weakness or a woman could be significantly overweight and they'll be attracted by that, but they're in a small enough minority that one won't find them by call-outs and it's still quite dangerous either way to share such things with everyone else who might be reading/watching.

That said I don't at all get angry with the people who don't believe that's happening or who've been taught all their lives, in public education and in their college humanities courses, that this isn't the case - I'm more more annoyed with the people professionally distorting their students' lenses on reality who should really know better.

Sometime World
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Nov 2017, 8:21 am

I grew up in an environment where a lack of social skills -- or perceived* lack of -- was an absolute killer if you were a guy. Girls/women wouldn't touch you with a barge pole, and you'd find them more likely talking to the ducks at the local feeding pond than to you.

(* unattractive / no friends / unpopular = perceived lack of social skills even though it might not be true)

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 12:41 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
In an ideal world it would be practical for people to be painfully honest about themselves.

Unfortunately, rather than living in an ideal world, we live in a world where the mechanics of the fundamental game - selection - work to assure that what's weak doesn't make it into the next generation. If all it meant is that women who didn't want to have kids or were too old to have kids found sweethearts that might be okay but that's not really the issue either as the process itself seems to angle toward not just de-selecting but also taking away status, respectability, and sending people in the 'persona non grata' direction.

There are odd cases where men or women have had their natural priorities significantly changed by certain kinds of life experiences, a guy can show weakness or a woman could be significantly overweight and they'll be attracted by that, but they're in a small enough minority that one won't find them by call-outs and it's still quite dangerous either way to share such things with everyone else who might be reading/watching.

That said I don't at all get angry with the people who don't believe that's happening or who've been taught all their lives, in public education and in their college humanities courses, that this isn't the case - I'm more more annoyed with the people professionally distorting their students' lenses on reality who should really know better.

Women being overweight doesn’t seem to be a negative anymore, a lot of fat women proudly say they fat and like being fat and yiu just have to accept it or move on. But most fat women get skinny men. It’s oddd to me.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 2:53 pm

sly279 wrote:
Women being overweight doesn’t seem to be a negative anymore, a lot of fat women proudly say they fat and like being fat and yiu just have to accept it or move on. But most fat women get skinny men. It’s oddd to me.

I suppose what's socially acceptable might come, go, find niche support communities, but what keeps a person single or feeling jaded for lack of attention from the opposite sex seems to be persistent. There can be loads of body-positive feminists, enough to give each other mutual support, and yet they're still hurt on the dating market. 'Nice guys' TM are another area where all kinds of guys could pat each other on the back for 'finishing last' but it still didn't change their prospects. Seems like for a lot of guys in the later group their fifth stage of grief - ie. acceptance - lead to MGTOW getting big.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 3:00 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
sly279 wrote:

I suppose what's socially acceptable might come, go, find niche support communities, but what keeps a person single or feeling jaded for lack of attention from the opposite sex seems to be persistent. There can be loads of body-positive feminists, enough to give each other mutual support, and yet they're still hurt on the dating market. 'Nice guys' TM are another area where all kinds of guys could pat each other on the back for 'finishing last' but it still didn't change their prospects. Seems like for a lot of guys in the later group their fifth stage of grief - ie. acceptance - lead to MGTOW getting big.

What? Fat women get thin guys. That’s not feminist patting each other’s backs that’s the majority of men being re-educated to accept fatness in women as normal and ok.
Go back 40years do you think most men non less thin women would date fat women?
Fat women aren’t hurting in the dating market they able to get the same men thin women want. Only reason I can think is the women fat movement worked and changed societies views of fat women. It’s a shame they didn’t do it for fat men. But they only cared about women. :( same with feminism. How any man can support either movement when they only fight for and support women is confusing to me.

As for me i dont know how much if me finding fat women attractive is from that movement (started before I was born) or just me being more open naturally.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 3:18 pm

Sly, I’m really sorry, but it’s simply not true that fat men have had the prejudice and societal pressure women have.

People don’t have to like fat women, it’s their right.

I did a social experiment and went into some weight loss centres. Not once did I see one male sitting in there in those crowded rooms.

The pressure on women to be thin is absolutely insane. Look at that jackass sometime world, he doesn’t have to date fat women, but he also treats them as lesser people, or disgusing creatures. His opinion is extremely common in men.

Men and women aren’t the same, each has their own difficulties.