Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2017, 12:38 am

I have known I was gay since I was in middle school. I have never come out to anyone I know. I don't even know how to tell anyone. People either assume that I am straight or assexual. How common is it for someone to be gay or have a sexuality other than hetero? I've read many articles that Aspies are more likely to identify with another sexuality other than hetero. I read somewhere that Aspies are more likely to be gay than the general population.

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 12:48 am

There is a LGBT section of this forum. Also in college I knew a gay aspie. Don't trust statistics too as that is what pick-up artists use to sell their products. I'm a heterosexual aspie.

Mr_Miner
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Dec 2017, 2:11 am

I've read 1 in 10 people is gay. Plenty of people are like you. Personally I am a straight Aspie but don't be uncomfortable with who you are. Coming out is not easy for anyone. I think you need to be prepared to loose some people in your life if do unfortunately. But those people will not be worth your time and you will feel much better being honest about who you are.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 7:50 pm

<-- Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaay aspie here.

7% of the general population identifies as LGBTQ2 / as an "alphabet kid" (the acronym just keeps getting longer and longer..), so approximately 1 in 11 people identifies as something other than heterosexual.

LGBT + ASD has been discussed many times on the forums, and from what I recall the only thing that people figure makes sense for there being a higher rate of ASD LGBT people vs. NT is simply that those on the spectrum tend to be more likely to live as their true selves vs. conceal their sexual orientation. This may be due to not following social norms of concealing a non-hetero orientation, or possibly due to rather being out about it than allow anxiety and depression to build up and overwhelm us. Maybe it's some combination of the two, or more factors. But yeah, I can't recall the % but I'm sure you are correct in that there are more (% wise) LGBT ASD people than the 7% of the general population.. or maybe it's just that more of us admit it - could be that "honest to a fault" sort of ASD trait, too.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

09 Dec 2017, 8:04 pm

-raises one lesbian hand-