Page 5 of 12 [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 1:55 am

I just recalled a case of a very rich lady who really dated down (wealth wise):

http://en.ammonnews.net/article.aspx?ar ... gvkiIhdLs0

She's not a self-made wealthy person tho, I think that makes a lot of difference in character (self-made richies are usually way pickier).

But some people insulted her for converting to Christianity.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 2:30 am

white_as_snow wrote:
can women be losers?

Yes absolutely.

I know quite a few women who I'm sure men look at and consider to be losers.

I have a friend who is struggling with depression at the moment and some of the things people say to her are awful. Yes she is considered a loser, even by other women. And by men. She is very rarely asked out and her last boyfriend dumped her by giving her a list of things he thought made her a loser. He was a jerk.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 2:34 am

Well, since it's still socially acceptable for women to be housewives - then they are by far less likely to be viewed as losers.
A woman would only be viewed loser if she is unemployed, not independent AND forever single.

But the swedish guy is right, the term seems to be mostly used at males only.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 2:40 am

Quote:
Additionally, despite tolerating men calling women all sorts of awful things for centuries, society, curiously enough, won’t stand for men referring to women as “losers” or “useless.” I’ve just never heard it. Were someone to call a woman a “loser” for being, say, a career grad student or some kind of lowbrow service professional, I feel it would be met with cries of “Hey, at least she’s trying!” or “Who are you to judge?” Of course, the joke’s on them, because justifying someone’s career choice undermines that person’s freedom of choice, and chastising one group for judging another while encouraging the same thing among your own group is the very opposite of equality.

http://me.askmen.com/life-commentary/10 ... ate-losers

314pe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 3:33 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
A woman would only be viewed loser if she is unemployed, not independent AND forever single.

Perhaps you incorrectly apply male standards to women. I think popular opinion among WP.net guys is that obese women are losers?

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 11:27 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

With that logic I would be considered a loser...

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 1:14 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Well, since it's still socially acceptable for women to be housewives - then they are by far less likely to be viewed as losers.

Well if we're going to be pedantic about terminology. Loser is such a 90s term. I heard it applied to women back in the day.

I think frumpy or dowdy is probably the female equivalent.

This feels wrong. We shouldn't be talking about 'appropriate' name calling.

My point is there are women who are viewed as 'less than' by men who don't want to date them. It's not a male only thing.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 1:20 pm

A person is only a loser if he/she insists on remaining a loser, and extols the virtues of loserhood, while criticizing those who are striving for something.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 2:04 pm

hurtloam wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Well if we're going to be pedantic about terminology. Loser is such a 90s term. I heard it applied to women back in the day.

My point is there are women who are viewed as 'less than' by men who don't want to date them. It's not a male only thing.

Then tell the women of the world to stop using the term, they still use it (and any equivalent in other languages) - and frequently too.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 2:10 pm

Men call each other losers too.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 4:58 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I still think it's "luck" in the case of Hurtloam.

If I were in England, and not married, I would find her desirable---definitely.

Forgot to respond

Yes I think it's a luck thing too. Just in the wrong place at the wrong time. And bad luck too like meeting a really great guy just before he moved to Australia. Then losing his email address. Doh.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 5:00 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Then tell the women of the world to stop using the term, they still use it (and any equivalent in other languages) - and frequently too.

Don't worry. I do. I had a friend making fun of this odd guy who seemed to like a friend of hers. I've never met him, but I told her off. I said 'you might think he's weird, but he's still human and just wants to be loved like anyone else. Don't be so hard on him.'

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 3:22 am

hurtloam wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Don't worry. I do. I had a friend making fun of this odd guy who seemed to like a friend of hers. I've never met him, but I told her off. I said 'you might think he's weird, but he's still human and just wants to be loved like anyone else. Don't be so hard on him.'

hurtloam you're one of those rare people with empathy.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 3:47 am

hurtloam wrote:
Seriously. I give up. Just find something else to focus your attention on. Not every one can find 'love' whatever the hell that's meant to be.

Actually you lied.

There are 4 points.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 4:32 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
Seriously. I give up. Just find something else to focus your attention on. Not every one can find 'love' whatever the hell that's meant to be.

Actually you lied.

There are 4 points.

Do tell.

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Nov 2017, 6:59 am

hurtloam wrote:
There aren't many guys about like me or who would like me. It's like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Are you positive about that? From what I can read in that description you posted, you're exactly the kind of woman I like. Probably many men here will think the same.