Do attractive people depress you?

Page 4 of 10 [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 2:07 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
It's the attractive people who have it all kinda depress me,  honestly I envy their genetic makeup and talents. 

It seems, that good looks also often correlate with other qualities,  there had been studies on this, maybe the reason is genetic or self esteem or both.

Yes, I have also made this observation. I think it's because many traits considered attractive are based on indicators of good health and extremely healthy people have a greater capacity to do things skillfully. For example, a healthy person could sing better than a sick person.

A few days ago I watched the opening ceremony for the winter Olympics and when the athletes marched in I noticed they were all very attractive. They had the most handsome men and the most beautiful women. These athletes are some of the fittest, healthiest  and most talented people in the world so it's no surprise that they look attractive. 

And many of those are Eastern Europeans such Russians and Ukrainians I guess? I always wondered why these peoples have a very high rate of beauty, you can find hollywood/fairy tale level of beauty in the everyday life in their streets, like everywhere - which is usually very rare elsewhere in the world.

My theory is their very harsh winter played an important natural selector and filtered their genes well; remember even the nazi army couldn't survive it.

Quote:
For example, a healthy person could sing better than a sick person.

There are exceptions like Susan Boyle, but even she couldn't make it to the fame after all, she had other health issues (ie. AS) other than her lack in looks - in a decade no will remember her name. Despite her good voice, we can't say she she is blessed with a good genetic makeup after all :- (.

But yeah, most famous singers are good looking.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 2:17 am

the most difficult thing for me to cope with most of my life, is how the beautiful people all seem to lead such charmed lives as well, like they had the universe on their side.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 2:59 am

auntblabby wrote:
the most difficult thing for me to cope with most of my life, is how the beautiful people all seem to lead such charmed lives as well, like they had the universe on their side.

It’s because good looking people on average, have better lives. Not just in dating, but careers, friendships, bias from others, whether it be intentional or unintentional. People are in denial when they say looks aren’t an advantage.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 3:41 am

I like seeing others around me who are attractive, intelligent, successful, and enjoying life.

I've never understood why anyone would feel hatred towards innocent people who've never wronged them.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 4:07 am

it is not hatred per se, but envy. they have it much easier in life. that is a natural reaction for most people, it takes an exceptionally evolved [spiritually] person to not feel that way.

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Feb 2018, 10:41 am

None of you are talking about what my original question was about.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 3:27 pm

yes, I felt that for decades until I got too phuqing GD old to care anymore.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 5:44 am

auntblabby wrote:

To be a celeb has it's price too , for example Marcia Cross literary starved herself during DH.

I bet many show girls amd body builders do too , it's tough and down right dangerous in the long run.

"Enjoying life"

Not if you're Elvis or Michael Jackson......fame had it's price.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 9:43 am

That would be tough. If you can't drown your sorrows in ice cream, you have no recourse.

And then there's the naturally thin people :x

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 9:49 am

I don’t feel attractive, though I don’t feel unattractive, either.

I don’t know the lives of those hordes of “attractive” people.

It used to depress me more when I was younger.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 9:56 am

I don't know their lives either but sometimes I feel like I'm surrounded by the attractive hoards.

They always seem to be smarter and more talented than me. Like when I see a pretty girl on the train revising her uni notes. I glance at her notes and see she's a med student and I think "damn, I could never be smart enough to get into med school".

This correlation between attractiveness and talent is bumming me out. It seems inequitable that some should have it all.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 11:00 am

You have lots of unattractive people who are smart.

You have lots of attractive people who are downright stupid.

I know all this for a fact.

And why can't you get into medical school? You have the logical sort of mind for it. You have an associative-type of intelligence.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 1:28 pm

it takes far more than raw intelligence to do well in school, it takes great gobs of long-lasting energy, the ability to get by on next to no rest at all. it takes a steel-trap memory and absolutely no addlements, one must have a perfectly functioning brain to do well in school and life. and those perfectly functioning brains tend more often than not, to belong to people with obvious physical symmetry which is a marker for superior genes.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 1:34 pm

There was lots of asymmetry in Alexander Pope.....and in Samuel Johnson.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 3:00 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There was lots of asymmetry in Alexander Pope.....and in Samuel Johnson.

Lol two people vs billions of attractive smart confident,etc people.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 3:10 pm

Those two happen to be one of the smartest people (I mean creatively) that ever existed.

Many ugly people are extremely intelligent, and extremely gifted in many ways.

Do you find Stephen Hawking good-looking? I know at least two women who did......