Has anyone tried a disability dating site?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

edal
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2007, 4:33 pm

No, because I'm not disabled I'm an AS sufferer.

Put another way, I'm not disabled just different.

Ed Almos

CDHarris
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jul 2007, 3:19 am

edal wrote:
No, because I'm not disabled I'm an AS sufferer.

Put another way, I'm not disabled just different.

Ed Almos

One definition of a disability is "any restriction or lack (resulting from an impairment) of ability to perform an activity in the manner or within the range considered normal for a human being." Some of the diagnostic criteria of AS sound a lot like disabilities. They even use the same terms (restriction, lack, impairment, ability). I guess what I'm trying to ask is this: Why doesn't it count as a disability?

Space
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 11:47 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Most dating sites do not work since most people prefer to not see each other because they anticipate the face-to-face meetings will be like online meetings.

I've known so-called "NT" people who have used these with some success. My buddy's sister is getting married to some guy she met on a dating site. I think it's the people, not the method of dating, that determines the success of the relationship.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2007, 2:22 am

NTs with learning difficulties are the polar opposite of an Aspie intellectually. Though this might not seem the case from a NT prospective, I got recommend recommendations to go in Stars In The Sky dating agency. They had a documentary in the BBC and it was awful to say the least.

The worst thing is that my workmates the smartest one(who knows me a little better then the rest) the other in the office and the most beautiful( who thinks I have a awful taste in woman) watched the documentary and recommended that I go.

I really want to commit suicide.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2007, 4:45 am

Aspie_Chav wrote:

I really want to commit suicide.

Wanting ain't enough.
Give it up, 'tis better to
live, until your time.

xSeraphx
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jul 2007, 9:12 am

Its not working out on these sites. These girls are more or less NT, and I really can't connect with them. I suppose. I feel fortunate that my largest problem is with relationships. I can function ok in life. It is just near impossible to build relationships with NTs.

I don't need someone to survive, but I would really enjoy having someone in my life. Oh well. A lack of a woman isn't a reason to kill ourselves. We just have to change our perspectives.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2007, 1:50 am

Space wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Most dating sites do not work since most people prefer to not see each other because they anticipate the face-to-face meetings will be like online meetings.

I've known so-called "NT" people who have used these with some success. My buddy's sister is getting married to some guy she met on a dating site. I think it's the people, not the method of dating, that determines the success of the relationship.

I agree 100%.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

carltcwc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2007, 3:40 am

theres a few of them but their all unpopular. dating4disabled.com is the best one but theres not many aspie girls on there. someone really needs to make a popular dating site for socially inept people. it should make a lot of money if advertised right.

shivanataraja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jul 2007, 11:59 am

I'm on dating4disabled as well. I'd like to really strongly insist that we (Aspies and neurodiverse people more generally) are, and should identify as, disabled people. Being disabled for me isn't a negative identity, it's a positive one in defence of acceptance of difference and diversity - people who see it as negative usually believe in the medical model of disability, whereas i believe in the social model of disability:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_model_of_disability

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2007, 7:34 pm

I prefer not to use the Internet as a dating site, whether it is a disabled site or not.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2007, 7:37 pm

good point...its just not...face to face
ya know

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 3:31 am

xSeraphx wrote:

I don't need someone to survive, but I would really enjoy having someone in my life. Oh well. A lack of a woman isn't a reason to kill ourselves. We just have to change our perspectives.

Prospective, like trying to change the prospective of having a tooth ache. Is there a way of psychologically tricking millions of years of evolution is such a way that the tooth ache melts away.

shivanataraja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jul 2007, 7:18 am

Also, meant but forgot to put in my last post:

Quote:
NTs with learning difficulties

is a bit of an oxymoron... ;)

(I kind of take your point about "polar opposites". There are people with neurodiverse conditions (eg Down's syndrome) who have kind of the opposite distribution of abilities to people with AS - ie averagely good at social/non-verbal stuff, much worse than average at memory and verbal/written communication - but, IMO, they have similarities as well - certainly, for me there's a strong identification/solidarity with anyone whose distribution of abilities is significantly different from that called "NT", in whatever direction, because the same types of oppression, social exclusion and lack of understanding of our needs/abilities/differences happen to all of us...)

I didn't see the documentary about "Stars in the Skies", but it sounded interesting, altho from their website it did look like it was particularly geared towards a certain section of the "learning disabilities" spectrum, namely those with verbal/memory/"IQ" deficits but more NT-like social attitudes. I would rather be involved with organisations of all types of disabled people rather than those exclusive to particular impairments...