why do guys want to be the alpha male?

Page 2 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2007, 10:38 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
It's a sign that most humans are no better than the monkeys they came from...

The sad part is the great, loving, caring human being is a cerebral thing, the monkey is the part of us all at our cerebellums, brainstems, a bulk of certain emotions, and it ultimately grips us all to a level that the cerebral self can't compete with. Not to say that people can't be held accountable for their actions on that level, your conscious mind can easily keep you from doing things you find reprehensible, but the lower mind can physically keep you from doing things that your higher mind wants but which it steadfastly disagrees with (classic example - being with someone who your not attracted to chemically, even if you love their personality and wish you could feel it the other way).

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

20 Dec 2007, 3:11 am

One word... = Testosterone

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 7:46 am

Oh yeah, and there's also a thematic a lot of people have pointed out but not so much in this thread. Each gender shapes the other and ultimately have more sway on their social style and what's 'in' than they themselves do.

ProtossX
Toucan
Toucan

20 Dec 2007, 10:03 pm

well I know why I DONT LIKE ALPHA males

first off when they come in a room all the girls go GAGA for cocopuffs over them

HUDDLE around the alpha like there some kinda modern day hercules an listenin to his dumb crap

uhh ok maybe im jealous a little bit basically it goes like this ur EITHER THE ALPHA MALE or ur pretty much goin after scraps at that point cuz most of the girls who like alpha males are usually pretty hot

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2007, 11:24 pm

well, sociobiology would state that an alpha male is the leader, the strongest, and best able to breed and take care of the offspring. Women would 'naturally' select them as the best way to ensure the survival of their children.

Sounds good, but so did philogiston, Social Darwinism, and Temperance, once upon a time...;)

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Dec 2007, 12:42 am

There are positive alpha males.
There are negative alpha males.

There are positive omega males (omega males is a term Icarusfalling used and it fits)
There are negative omega males.

Positive alpha males will take the initiative based on superficial traits, have charm and use their positive traits to get notice and if turned down at first won't sulk but try again either with same female or another. They also if it is very clear they are not wanted around will not crowd someone's personal space. They don't hold resentment towards the female but moves on.

Negative alpha males. They don't take no for an answer, even a blunt no and will sometimes force a woman to comply or slip ruphies in her drink. They are aggressive in a bad way and often hate women because they feel that every woman must say yes to them. These women in the negative alpha male's mind deserve to be taken advantage of for looking pretty.

Positive omega males. Analyze their potential mate. Sometimes they will psyche themselves out at first but then just go ahead and gather the nerve and will strike up an intelligent conversation. If rejected at first, it may need someone else's pep talk to cheer them up and try again but if it's an obvious blunt get the hell away, they go back to their corner to scope and analyze the next possible mate before deciding to approach or not approach.

Negative omega males. They sulk, don't bother trying and if they do try hate all women if not successful at first. Blame all problems on women and how awful they are. Then the negative omega male will not put forth any effort on their part to change some aspects and harbor resentment for women.

What makes a positive omega male, positive? He tries. He doesn't hiss and curse women if not successful but at least he tries.

Some women don't mind being hunted after for superficial reasons and other women do mind and get insulted for the lack of display of intelligence.

Unlike what people tend to think, there are intelligent pretty females and perhaps some of you really want Jenny Mccarthy type females but can you think about the deeper root of your cause to find a mate? Think about what is on the inside too because men seem to obsess a little too much about what is on the outside in comparisson to women finding males.

Women are more attractive naturally but that sucks. It sucks because females that have more to offer than bubbly personalities and blonde fluffy hair have a difficult time when they went against the normal stereotypical genderly correct crap which is way off and have to deal with men freaking out because they have something on the inside.

What do you want on the outside? Is it a real obtainable goal?

What do you want on the inside? Can both of you handle it?

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2007, 1:14 am

That's a good analysis, Kitsy.

I don't want to be an alpha male. Primarily because I'm not competitive, it's just not my nature... and it never will be. The whole alpha male description is someone who wants to be the best at something, or demand respect... have an over abundance of confidence. Not me at all, I just want to explore, understand, create and help others when I can.

I'm a very curious inquisitive person, and I never assume I understand everything about a situation... I'm always pondering. This quality is in sharp contrast to the alpha male qualities. You can't have confidence when you admit to not understanding everything... and always needing more information.

My biggest alpha male type strength though is sort of not caring about anything, or at least appearing like that. I try to have sort of hippy-esque "I act strange but I like the way am, and you may enjoy it too" attitude. I'd describe it as a confident ambivalence, when I'm working this at my best... I'm not an alpha male... I'm not an omega male... I don't compete because I don't want to compete. I make fun of myself with self deprecating humor, but say it with confidence and poise.

It's the confident attitude that let's me pull off wearing a Hawaiian shirt year round. :P

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

vessel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Dec 2007, 6:07 am

To me an Alpha Male is someone completely opposite of the female sex. I don't quest to be one because my understanding of women has been what had led to my success in the relationship department. I rarely feel close to other males, and even though I'm heterosexual I feel it's better to be sensitive and understanding. I've been told by my dad that I tend to think like a woman, and I don't take that as a bad thing, since most of the men in my life have been female-retarded.

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2007, 8:54 am

sinsboldly wrote:
Aspie1 wrote:
The reason is simple. Women want to have sex with alpha males, and men look up to them and respect them. It's been that way ever since sexual reproduction came about.

Hummm. . I am a woman and I love sticking it to the Alpha Male. I don't want to lay him. Matter of fact I want him to suffer. And he does, because all the Alpha Males want the Alpha Female.

'specially when they can't get her.

and that always made me laugh.

Merle

But equally, an alpha female can also be a repulsive character.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2007, 9:49 am

ProtossX wrote:
well I know why I DONT LIKE ALPHA males

first off when they come in a room all the girls go GAGA for cocopuffs over them

HUDDLE around the alpha like there some kinda modern day hercules an listenin to his dumb crap

uhh ok maybe im jealous a little bit basically it goes like this ur EITHER THE ALPHA MALE or ur pretty much goin after scraps at that point cuz most of the girls who like alpha males are usually pretty hot
I only would like alpha males who don't act like jerks. However, because I don't consider myself an alpha females, I'd prefer someone who all the girls weren't going gaga over. Competition is so vulgar, after all.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 6:00 am

Kitsy wrote:
There are positive alpha males.
There are negative alpha males.

There are positive omega males (omega males is a term Icarusfalling used and it fits)
There are negative omega males.

Positive alpha males will take the initiative based on superficial traits, have charm and use their positive traits to get notice and if turned down at first won't sulk but try again either with same female or another. They also if it is very clear they are not wanted around will not crowd someone's personal space. They don't hold resentment towards the female but moves on.

Negative alpha males. They don't take no for an answer, even a blunt no and will sometimes force a woman to comply or slip ruphies in her drink. They are aggressive in a bad way and often hate women because they feel that every woman must say yes to them. These women in the negative alpha male's mind deserve to be taken advantage of for looking pretty.

Positive omega males. Analyze their potential mate. Sometimes they will psyche themselves out at first but then just go ahead and gather the nerve and will strike up an intelligent conversation. If rejected at first, it may need someone else's pep talk to cheer them up and try again but if it's an obvious blunt get the hell away, they go back to their corner to scope and analyze the next possible mate before deciding to approach or not approach.

Negative omega males. They sulk, don't bother trying and if they do try hate all women if not successful at first. Blame all problems on women and how awful they are. Then the negative omega male will not put forth any effort on their part to change some aspects and harbor resentment for women.

What makes a positive omega male, positive? He tries. He doesn't hiss and curse women if not successful but at least he tries.

Some women don't mind being hunted after for superficial reasons and other women do mind and get insulted for the lack of display of intelligence.

Unlike what people tend to think, there are intelligent pretty females and perhaps some of you really want Jenny Mccarthy type females but can you think about the deeper root of your cause to find a mate? Think about what is on the inside too because men seem to obsess a little too much about what is on the outside in comparisson to women finding males.

Women are more attractive naturally but that sucks. It sucks because females that have more to offer than bubbly personalities and blonde fluffy hair have a difficult time when they went against the normal stereotypical genderly correct crap which is way off and have to deal with men freaking out because they have something on the inside.

What do you want on the outside? Is it a real obtainable goal?

What do you want on the inside? Can both of you handle it?

So Alpha versus Omega is really just a personality versus looks thing? Why assume that men only look for one or the other? Why not just realise that both are important to varying degrees? Gah some people really are too attached to labels.

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 9:10 am

pakled wrote:
well, sociobiology would state that an alpha male is the leader, the strongest, and best able to breed and take care of the offspring. Women would 'naturally' select them as the best way to ensure the survival of their children.

Sounds good, but so did philogiston, Social Darwinism, and Temperance, once upon a time...;)

Sociobiology can go to hell.
I'm stronger than loads of alpha's out there, but I'm not one of them, so therefore - people think I'm weak. Whereas in reality, I know I'm a lot stronger than a lot of alpha's out there.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 9:27 am

I don't actually think there are Alpha males to the extent that you have in a troupe of monkeys. I think Alpha males in the humans is a more relative concept. Civilization needs a great many concessions and compromises to live together in such high numbers even when there is still war and bloodshed. So it is not really surprising that we exhibit a great deal of individuality. I don't think there is master of everyone. Sure there are some males that exhibit cad like behavior. I don't think there is a single predominant male behavior.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 1:18 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
I don't actually think there are Alpha males to the extent that you have in a troupe of monkeys. I think Alpha males in the humans is a more relative concept. Civilization needs a great many concessions and compromises to live together in such high numbers even when there is still war and bloodshed. So it is not really surprising that we exhibit a great deal of individuality. I don't think there is master of everyone. Sure there are some males that exhibit cad like behavior. I don't think there is a single predominant male behavior.

I think anymore a huge part of it is conformity and social graces. Being a start athlete doesn't hurt but being the dog with the quickest or loudest bark (ie. social butterfly) seems to be what it really comes down to these days - I see it work for my one friend all the time, unfortunately even on other guy's girlfriends even when he doesn't want it to.

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2007, 6:11 am

An alpha/omega male defines something of higher psychological 'archetypal' evolution. Being an archetype mandates more than just good looks, physical stamina, and mental prowess. Most of the time, I believe we mistakenly identify those who are more popular or in higher esteem to be considered this, but, we are falling to disillusion ourselves to be bettered by a socio-collective stygmatization of what is ruminated as 'en vogue'.

In my opinion, to answer your question to the humblest of my ability, most people who are considered such, tend to be the 'sell-out'; man's penchant for facilitating what is comfortable and secure. Actual alpha/omega's tend to change the perception of the grandious, especially in times of tumoil or need/change.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2007, 6:55 pm

Bigbang wrote:
Albert Einstein, Mozart, Beethoven, Nikolai Tesla, Gandhi, Fredrick Nietsche, Jean-Paul Sartre, Isaac Newton, William Shakespeare... the list could go on.

Were any of those alpha males? No
Do I want to be an alpha male? No

There are the naturally inborn alpha males : the ones who are naturally leaders, handsome ,attractive ,strong and have strong personality.
And you have ,what I call, the artificial alpha males: they are natural beta or omega males who got a status very similar to alpha males' (and maybe even better) by success and fame , they don't have any of the natural alpha characteristics yet they attract load of women. All the guys mentioned in your post had became somehow artificial alpha males.