Woman Want a Man Who they Can Show to Their Friend

Page 2 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

frankcritic
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 May 2008, 3:25 pm

Chronic loneliness from hell is something I have learned to live with. There was a period of my life where it was rarely something I had to deal with but that period is gone now. Inexplicable in its genesis as it was in its demise, a time when I had friends and the future seemed full of possibility is now over for me. Outside of college, in the real world, the NT rules apply to the point where the pain of dealing with them is actually more than the pain of loneliness. The way I look at it, loneliness is a constant companion of mine. The world in which I live is not my own and the motives and lives of others are a mystery never to be solved. I can walk the paths of my life that have yielded the greatest memories and still know that I was an outsider in those memories. So I make a pact with the world to simply leave it alone as best I can and expect it to do the same for me in return. It is unfortunate for me that I am forced to live in this world and unfortunate for the world that it must live with me. Primarily I deal with the loneliness by disappearing in my own head and, there, imagining better worlds than this one where I can participate meaningfully and completely. When the only alternative is playing by rules intended to maximize the level of deception of both oneself and others, it doesn't seem so bad.

-Frank

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2008, 4:03 pm

I am depressed to the point I have no choice but to try. Choice is an illusion like free will.

ford_prefects_kid
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2008, 4:20 pm

EvilKimEvil wrote:
I find that most women want a man who is entertaining, above all else. The second most important thing is for the man to be successful in some way, especially a way that is important to that individual woman. Third on the list is niceness.

Being entertaining can mean being funny and charming in a conventional way, or it can mean having a sense of humor that is offensive to some people, or it can mean being alternately charming and rude in a bizarre, quirky way. I think this is the origin of the "women like jerks" myth. What is overlooked is that most women prefer a guy who is funny, spontaneous, charming, and witty without being a jerk. The catch is that they would choose a funny, charming, successful jerk over a boring nice guy with no sense of humor.

The success thing gets misunderstood a lot too. Some women really do judge a guy by how much money he makes, but most women look for other forms of success. It is really attractive when a guy puts a lot of effort into something he likes and is fairly good at it, whether or not he makes any money at it. This is one reason why guys in bands get so much action, as do athletes. But it doesn't have to be something in the public eye. If you tell a girl you're a writer or an artist, that's often a turn-on. Unfortunately, this does not always apply to things that most women don't care about or understand such as computer programming or chemistry - unless you're extremely successful, at the top of your field. The good news is that knowledge is included as a form of success. A guy who is extremely knowledgeable, whether it's about one thing or many things, and wants to share this knowledge without bragging about it is attractive!

Yes, niceness is important too. In my case, for example, I like a guy who is really nice to me and has an irreverent, quirky, sarcastic sense of humor, and is really knowledgeable about something I'm interested in. I don't like jerks and I don't care about money or physical attractiveness in the traditional sense. When I talk to other girls about guys, most of them feel the same way! Girls who are really into a certain kind of music want a boyfriend who's into the same music and is good at playing it or knowledgeable about it and is nice and is funny/charming/fun to hang out with.

Long explanation, I know, but I think it's all pretty simple. And Aspie Chav is right - women want a guy who they can "show off" to their friends, but exactly what this means is slightly different for each woman.

QFT. The women have spoken.

Seriously though, this couldn't have echoed my own sentiments on the matter any better.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2008, 8:28 pm

Topher wrote:
I disagree. That only applies to a small minority of women. A woman would not care if their loved one might act a bit wierd. Money or being an alpha male has little to do with it.

I disagree with you. I think most NT women are socialized to be fickle, shallow, money-grubbing hoes who are always looking for a better deal. But that's just my opinion, hope noone gets offended...

Topher
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 May 2008, 5:14 am

Space wrote:
Topher wrote:
I disagree. That only applies to a small minority of women. A woman would not care if their loved one might act a bit wierd. Money or being an alpha male has little to do with it.

I disagree with you. I think most NT women are socialized to be fickle, shallow, money-grubbing hoes who are always looking for a better deal. But that's just my opinion, hope noone gets offended...

Fair point, to each thier own. In my experience I've not dated any women who were like that. the closest I came was one girl who i met through a friend and kept demanding that I buy her a phone as a gift because she apparently loved me. I said no as she always blows her money and goes through phones at an alarming rate. So I refused and stopped talking to her when she would not leave me alone. But it's a wide world so I can't really vouch for everyone.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 8:54 am

Topher wrote:
Fair point, to each thier own. In my experience I've not dated any women who were like that. the closest I came was one girl who i met through a friend and kept demanding that I buy her a phone as a gift because she apparently loved me. I said no as she always blows her money and goes through phones at an alarming rate. So I refused and stopped talking to her when she would not leave me alone. But it's a wide world so I can't really vouch for everyone.

By personal experience Jamaican girls are pretty bad. There was one in particular, who had as a friend, heaven forbid if she should be my girlfriend. She did humour me with the possibility, I said no.

Despite her upbringings, I guess she was a nice girl. But not easy to live with. I decided to keep her around because I would have a lot to learn from a girl who is extremely NT.

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 8:02 pm

I think woman see a man as an ultimate fashion acessory. If you are been valued for your attributes rather than the person you are, it is kind of like being used, so you are with in your rights to use her.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 9:57 pm

Space wrote:
Topher wrote:

Only NT women?

Personally when I notice a guys it's not his money. I must be a minority. As for women being hos I think the same could be said for guys. My brother in law is a good example of that.

As for the topic, both parties are bound to get hurt eventually. This sounds like a quick and temporary idea of a solution that won't last long.

simplyhere
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 May 2008, 10:38 pm

Aspie_Chav wrote:
I am depressed to the point I have no choice but to try. Choice is an illusion like free will.

A relationship will not solve your problem. You need to be happy first.

simplyhere

22 May 2008, 10:47 pm

Personally the typical alpha male is a turn-off to me.

On the flip-side I have dated a guy who wanted me to lead the relationship and he refused to make a single decision and that majorly turned me off too even though he wanted to be at my beckond call. It just didn't work for me because I wasn't willing to wear the pants in the relationship even though I know girls who would.

I like it when a guy can take the lead but doesn't become some kind of a big-headed bossy dictator.

As for money I think people need to be realistic about whether the guy can support you if there's a chance of getting married and having a family, but I'm not exactly looking for a sugar daddy and I would never date a guy for the money.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 10:51 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
As for women being hos I think the same could be said for guys. My brother in law is a good example of that.

I agree with you.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 12:50 am

OK.

I just get outraged when I see many threads dissing women so much in the Love and Dating forum.

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 12:52 am

simplyhere wrote:
As for money I think people need to be realistic about whether the guy can support you if there's a chance of getting married and having a family, but I'm not exactly looking for a sugar daddy and I would never date a guy for the money.

Yeah I agree with that, nothing wrong with having minimum standards in aspects. But beyond that you should judge someone on who they are, rather what they can give you I feel.

frankcritic
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2008, 1:30 am

The way I see it, this isn't really a thread about dissing women. Similar behavior can be ascribed to men. Consider the following joke, which I should stress I'm not necessarily advocating the point of view of:

"Riding a moped is like riding a fat chick. Fun 'til your friends catch ya."

What's important to understand about the joke here is that jokes like this, while chauvinistic and unkind, contain a kernel of truth. Virtually all jokes that are actually funny to any reasonable number of people do. Here, the fundamental truth expressed in the joke is that men do, in fact, care what their friends think of the girl they're with. It makes sense to me, when measuring the validity of a generalization, to rely upon something organic like humor. For instance, a joke about how guys love mayo on their french fries would fall flat, because it's not a valid generalization about guys. A joke about how guys like power tools, on the other hand, may or may not work but would not fail because of the power tool aspect, because that is a valid generalization about guys.

People like to date people their friends approve of and, in fact, good friends disapproving of a significant other is a good indicator that they're wrong for you, whether you're a man or a woman. I've been on both sides of this, watching friends make tragic mistakes in love with partners I and their other friends disapproved of and being the one defending my significant other to friends, only to later realize they had been right about everything.

Women are not evil in the first place and certainly not because they want to date someone their friends approve of. If they're really friends, they know her pretty well and therefore are pretty reliable judges when it comes to who's right for them. The problem this presents for aspies, I think, is that they have a harder time standing up to such severe scrutiny because it's all based on them being socially acceptable. Social adeptness not being an aspie strong suit, they're likely to fail the friend litmus test and that's not a false positive either. Instead, it's a helpful indicator that, long-term, their significant other will not find them socially acceptable either and the relationship is doomed. Could've saved myself a rather staggering amount of pain if I'd realized this earlier. My advice to both guys and girls is that, if your friends don't like your partner, dump them quickly and decisively as soon as possible. In my most recent and, believe me, last ever relationship, her friends couldn't stand me and the fact that they were also my and her Sunday School class made it all the worse.

Cold hard bastardly truth? If you can't endear yourself to a guy or a girl's friends, coworkers, and family, and by that I mean any given guy or girl's friends, coworkers, and family, you will never have a functional relationship and probably will be denied the opportunity to ever reproduce for a variety of very good reasons. Cruel as that may sound, I'm not being mean, because if what I'm saying applies to anyone, it does to me.

-Frank

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 2:04 am

simplyhere wrote:
Aspie_Chav wrote:

Happy aspie is a bit of a paradox. Why would a aspie bother with NTs in their world if they are happy.

The reason why so many aspies suffer from depression is because most of the happy ones never made the effort social and never had any children, only the unhappy ones who are good at hiding their misery and make the effort socially eventually find someone. I personally commit myself to 3 NT activities a week which costs time and money.

These rules apply to an NTs more then they do for aspie. A happy NT socialize and enjoys doing NT things regardless. They do not have to sacrifice lifestyle in order to find someone. It is often the case a jolly NT is more likely to find a relationship.

Most people make the mistake in following rules that is poorly understood. That is the start of when a myth is created.

Mind if I stick this in my blog as I have made a big point here.

yesplease
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 2:35 am

simplyhere wrote:
Aspie_Chav wrote:

Win!