Looking for a girl who knows how to make a Hummus plate.

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 9:54 am

This is an extended thread about Singlism. I am facing stupid singlism comments from my new supervisor who's married.
My relation with the previous supervisor was simply a work relationship - nothing more than that and I so like it. She was also single and so I never recieved singlism comments from her but this new is driving me crazy.

He keeps telling me things like : " well you have no much concerns in life other than work since you have no family to care about" --- like I don't have a brother with Ulcerative Colitis.

And he keeps telling how much less pressure I have in life than him - why he's so much jealous about my single status?

Then he starts joking about: " you are calm but I know that you have a volcano boiling inside ready to explode" , I replied :"Wow, are you psychologically analyzing me now?" , He said: " no, I just can guess it".

And later he said: "When I was your age I was crazily active in relationships and friendships like J. (a dept. coworker) but you are a totally different category".

And then he tried to compliment me by saying: " you would be a good family guy because your type is the same as someone of 40s."

And sometimes he makes comments each time a young girl call or pass by me to say hi or something he says: "c'mon , she's good for you"

etc ...etc

He's interfering too much in many aspects of my personal life , even more than any coworker of my age.

Have you ever had a boss or supervisor like this? And how to cut this BS with him?

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 10:22 am

Stand your ground. "What makes me happy, what I desire in my life, and what drives me is evidently different than what motivates you. Further, it doesn't relate to work... and I would appreciate it if you kept the conversation on work-related topics from now on." If it persists, then you have justifiable reason to bring it to the attention of others (manager, HR) if it continues to progress. You're at work, not a dating service or out with pals. He apparently needs to be reminded of this. He's way out of line. Set your boundaries first, otherwise you don't have much ground to stand on in the future.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 11:50 am

^Usually I try to cut such conversations by asking/telling him something related to work ....but maybe a blunt response like that would it cut for good.

SPCDavid
Raven
Raven

18 Sep 2008, 12:27 pm

The last time I had anyone try to pry into my single life, I just let them know everything there was to know about me, I eventually got my space.

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 12:31 pm

I think he is trying to be friendly and is just not very good at it. I expect this is his mode of friendliness and he has difficulty trying another tack, the more distant you are the more he ups his "friendliness". Just laugh it off and humour him.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 4:16 pm

SPCDavid wrote:
The last time I had anyone try to pry into my single life, I just let them know everything there was to know about me, I eventually got my space.

f**k that

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 8:55 pm

lotusblossom wrote:
I think he is trying to be friendly and is just not very good at it. I expect this is his mode of friendliness and he has difficulty trying another tack, the more distant you are the more he ups his "friendliness". Just laugh it off and humour him.

I agree 100%.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 11:06 pm

lotusblossom wrote:

While that may be the case, it is still not appropriate for work. Perhaps I am a little more particular, having worked most of my life in educational situations, but that is something that does not pass for conversation when it is persistent as such and makes someone uncomfortable. Is it right to let him continue doing the same thing, perhaps to others? *shrug* Speaking up addresses an issue instead of avoiding it - a preferable method for me in such a case.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 3:16 pm

My supervisor has crossed the line today , he was looking at candidates' CVs for the empty position and he asked me in a humorous tone.

"so <my name> , do you prefer a girl coworker or a guy?"

I replied :" I don't care at all, I want someone hardworker".

then he said in a sarcastic tone : " haha, don't worry ...I was just seeing if you are pervert (which is a usual synonymy to gay in Arabic)"

I said in a dry tone: "don't worry, I don't think about sex at work".

and so I made him suddenly shut up.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 1:27 am

Update: I am reacting in very dry way to every similar comment, the good thing that he started to get it...

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 6:57 pm

I really, really, REALLY like hummus.

Especially really GOOD hummus.

Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 7:21 pm

Adam sandler brushes his teeth with hummus.

I heard he can put fires out with it too.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 5:30 am

886 wrote:
Adam sandler brushes his teeth with hummus.

I heard he can put fires out with it too.

O_o

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 6:01 am

juliekitty wrote:
I really, really, REALLY like hummus.

Especially really GOOD hummus.

Put the boiled chickpeas together with the tahini (sesame paste) into a pot
Squeeze the lemon, add the juice, the garlic clove and the olive oil to the mixture
add about half a spoon of cumin and salt to taste
Use a hand blender to bring it all together. Blend until very smooth.
Add a bit of water if the consistency is too thick.
Sprinkle a bit of paprika powder on top
Serve cold.

PS: Sometimes I add red pepper powder on step 4 and the hummus will become orange-colored ....and spicy , yumm.

:P

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 10:05 am

....and oh , another popular meals which are usually served with Hummus which are Kibbeh Nayyeh and Sawda Niyyeh

Kibbe Niyyeh consists of minced raw lamb meat mixed with bulgur and spices. :p

and Sawda Niyyeh is ....ummm....Raw Liver , a raw sheep or cow liver cut into squared and served with spices and mint :D

:eew: but it might cause worms colonies

And oh there's also the Ras Neefa meal, worry not this time ... it 's not raw meat but it consists of Lamp's head , recall how they serve in Asterix and Obelix movies the head of some animal on a plate? ....exactly ! it looks like that :lol:

....and oh don't forget the Tabbouleh salad.

now that one is healthy :lol:

ok I feel hungry now

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/20/صحن_تبولة.JPG/280px-صحن_تبولة.JPG[/img]

Last edited by LePetitPrince on 13 Oct 2008, 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 10:07 am

All that food looks very good.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!