Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 5:44 pm

The latest National Geographic for February 2006 had an interesting article about love, romance, and infatuation. It discussed what occurs in the brain when a person is in love. The research had some interesting findings.

Quote:
She [Professor Donatella Marazziti, University of Pisa in Italy] and her colleagues measured serotonin levels in the blood of 24 subjects who had fallen in love within that past six months... Researchers have long hypothesized that people with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) have a serotonin "imbalance."... Marazziti compared the lovers' serotonin levels with those of a group of people suffering from OCD and another group who were free from both passion and mental illness. Levels of serotonin in both the obsessives' blood and the lovers' blood were 40 percent lower than those in the normal subjects. Translation: Love and mental illness have a similar chemical profile.

The article also gives a few reasons why passion fades:

Quote:
Helen Fisher [a professor at Rutgers University] has suggested that relationships frequently break up after four years because that's about how long it takes to raise a child through infancy.

Quote:
Biologically speaking, the reasons why romantic love fades away may be found in the way our brains respond to the surge and pulse of dopamine that accompanies passion and makes us fly. Cocaine users describe the phenomenon of tolerance: The brain adapts to the excessive input of the drug. Perhaps the neurons become desensitized and need more to produce the high...

So if passion fades, why do some relationships last so long? There is also a physiological explanation for that too:

Quote:
[some couples move on] from the dopamine-drenched state of romantic love to the relative quiet of an oxytocin-induced attachment. Oxytocin is a hormone that promotes a feeling of connection, bonding. It is released when we hug out long-term spouses, or our children. It is released when a mother nurses her infant. Prairie voles, animals with high levels of oxytocin, mate for life. When scientists block oxytocin receptors in these rodents, the animals don't form monogamous bonds and tend to roam.

And finally a possible, physiological reason many people on the spectrum struggle with relationships:

Quote:
Some researchers speculate that autism, a disorder marked by a profound inability to forge and maintain social connections, is linked to an oxytocin deficiency. Scientists have been experimenting by treating autistic people with oxytocin, which in some cases has helped alleviate their symptoms.

To read the entire article you will have to get a copy of National Geographic, but you can read a portion of the article here:

http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0602/feature2/index.html

midge
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jan 2006, 7:04 pm

Quote:
Translation: Love and mental illness have a similar chemical profile.

Just as I always suspected-I'm nuttier than a fruitcake :D :lol:

It sounds like a very fascinating article, thanks for posting that. It's interesting to know the physiological basis for things like this. Of course, knowing that doesn't make love and romance any less special to me-I'm just amazed and glad that the laws of physics, chemistry, and biology work in such a way that allows such wonderful things to exist :)

Nuntar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jan 2006, 12:22 pm

Hear, hear! :D :D :D

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2006, 11:14 pm

I was reading the book "mind wide open" back in the summer and it made me think oxytocin may have something to do with autism. I also had my first experience with narcotic pain killers, due to an ear infection. I was just reading this article in NG and as I was turning the page I thought, "I wonder if I could get my hands on some oxytocin pills somehow?"
Then

Quote:
Some researchers speculate that autism, a disorder marked by a profound inability to forge and maintain social connections, is linked to an oxytocin deficiency. Scientists have been experimenting by treating autistic people with oxytocin, which in some cases has helped alleviate their symptoms.

So I thought I would come online and see if anyone else was discussing this.

The book "mind wide open", was a very interesting look at brain chemistry and what not.
I was particularly struck by the way he characterized narcotic addiction.
As in the case where an addict will completely forsake family and other relationships in pursuit of his beloved drug. This is the heartbreaking peril of such addiction, as I recall from many an afterschool special.
The author points out however, that families and relationships are more or less the conventional way of attaining this same "fix"
So thats when I started thinking about how everyone else seems to really enjoy socializing, and I don't get much out of it. It occured to me that they are all on a drug that is not so readily available to me. Oxytocin ?

Astarael
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2006, 5:30 am

That's pretty interesting. I've never heard anything like it before but I don't usually look for that kind of information, it's interesting for sure.

Sunni
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Feb 2006, 7:52 am

This is fascinating!

I'm a neuroscience junkie and I too have the book 'Mind Wide Open'. I would consider finding some Oxytocin, if it weren't such a seemingly self-defeating thing to do (?!)

Logic says, what's the point of artificially raising my love and trust hormones so that I start creating all kinds of emotional bonds, only for the chemical levels to lower, either through tolerance or discontinuation of the drug, so that I return to baseline? (and then have to face the social repercussions)

I definitely agree with the authors of the article that the human brain is chemical dependent. It's blatantly obvious how we create these neurological circuits and get addicted to these chemical states. Salesmen get addicted to the neurological rewards of selling, athletes get addicted to the chemicals released by training, lovers are addicted to the beloved.

When I hear about marriage problems I feel like tearing out my hair, because to me marriage is such a ridiculous institution and I think people are completely delusional in their expectations. That said, I'm addicted in my own way to my own interests and one might say that I have given up trying to find happiness or pleasure anywhere, except for inside myself (which renders 99% of stuff in the world obsolete).

Tashie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2006, 5:35 pm

That's really interesting. I'm going to get that issue right now! Thanks, neurology is one of my interests.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2006, 5:43 pm

My question here is what are the implications of this for people with OCD? She didn't study OCD people with fresh love interests. It would be kind of nice if OCD people had more longevity- both for the person dating the OCD person (obviously) but also as a kind of pick-up line if it become well known. "I'll stay with you forever, baby, you and me and OCD makes three."