Conflicting Interests in Relationships

Page 2 of 8 [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

To Liberal atheist/agnostic/pagan Aspies: Would you date a neo-conservative Christian Aspie?
Yes 27%  27%  [ 13 ]
No 73%  73%  [ 36 ]
Total votes : 49

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 11:24 am

I just don't want to be in a situation where finding someone with the same interests will involve giving up my religious and political beliefs.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 11:32 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
I just don't want to be in a situation where finding someone with the same interests will involve giving up my religious and political beliefs.

That is entirely possible. You can respect other people's beliefs without agreeing with them. You don't have to give them up no matter who you end up with. It is not all about having the same beliefs but respecting each others' differing opinions. I wouldn't know myself but I hear that is part of what love is all about. :) Just don't force anything onto anyone, as most people hate that. It's exactly the same as physically forcing something down someone's throat. I think that is a major reason people today hate Christians because they are always trying to force their beliefs down people's throats.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 11:43 am

I agree with you, but it's like the liberals are writing me off because I'm conservative.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 11:55 am

I doubt they all are but even so, do what my sig says. :wink: (Say "sig says" for a cheap laugh. :lol: )

That being said, you are supposed to love yourself whether anyone loves you or not. :)

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 12:31 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I agree with you, but it's like the liberals are writing me off because I'm conservative.

It may have less to do with you, and more to do with the experience of being told one is going to hell repeatedly from a young age and having an aversion to being exposed to that again. No substitute for experience.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 12:34 pm

I'm not one of those Christians, yet people jump to conclusions regarding this.

People liked me better when I was pretending to be a left-wing revolutionary.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 12:40 pm

If you've been scared by a clown, it doesn't matter if it is the same clown later on - the reaction often remains. How can anyone reasonably expect others to perceive their differences automatically?

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Dee_
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Apr 2009, 2:36 pm

Tradition and what is percieved as such is done by society.

I reject this notion that society will determine what I should find as accepting..

I rather go by what is relevant to me than what is percieved as the 'in' thing to do...

If the traditional thing is becomming the way of the past, the crowd can go run with that....
I am considered by some peopel to be 'old fashioned' I supposed that would of been normal in like a time like 3 or 4 changes of tradition ago...

I rather exhibit my individuality.... than to conform to something I am not, the general populations interprettion and concept what is the current trends...

Oggleleus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Apr 2009, 4:09 pm

2 cents

So it is OK to fib a little about your beliefs to gain acceptance but you are only looking for an Aspie as a girlfriend because you believe only an Aspie girlfriend would be more truthful with you? :P

Be yourself. I think you are learning how "closed minded" some people can be that claim to be "open minded" and liberal. Be honest and let the cards fall as they may. I have many of the same beliefs as you. But, my attitude is that, there is only one of me in this world. Yeah, there will always be someone better at something I can do, but put everything together, and I am one of a freaking kind. Tough to label a unique individual and it helps in resisting those nasty labels.

Personally, I have had more people tell me that I am a bad person because I drive an SUV compared to the number of times I have been told, "I will go to hell" by a religious person. (Yes, Oggleus, son of a preacher and lives in the bible belt).

Good luck.

Bluestocking
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Apr 2009, 4:51 pm

Why not just go to a church social or something? I'm not even a Christian and I've been noticing that on my university, there are a LOT of Christian-oriented events going on, regular meetings, ice cream socials, and all that designed to attract young 20something Christians looking for a date. If your church has these, then you have a better chance of finding a woman whose values will match yours.
That's the best suggestion I can give, since the idea of "traditional" dating makes the bile rise in my throat and I don't know much about it.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 5:01 pm

The thing is that I also require anyone I date to be an Aspie, but there aren't any who are conservative Christians with the same interests, and the liberal ones don't want anything to do with me because of their generalizations about conservatives.

Bluestocking
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Apr 2009, 5:06 pm

You need to change your mindset about dating then if you expect to ever find someone. You might be surprised, your dream girl might turn out to be a neurotypical vegan from the Toltec religion. But if you limit yourself to these narrow definitions, you're doomed. Perhaps I'm a bit too romantic, but I think what's in her heart matters a lot more.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 5:40 pm

I have worked on personality, I have been very goal-oriented, and working on myself extensively.

But all the liberal Aspies see is that I am conservative, and they write me off because of that one thing.

They think all Christians are like Fred Phelps.

The reason that neocons don't watch the Simpsons and South Park or watch comedy or indie/foreign films is because of the language and content that they think is offensive. Asking a neocon "Wanna watch the Simpsons and South Park?" is no different than asking them "Wanna use drugs?", "Wanna get drunk?", or "Wanna fornicate?"

My interests tend to coincide with those of "hipsters", but that (and the fact that I think it's ok to have sex outside of marriage) turns off neocons, and my conservative beliefs turn off the hipsters.

I don't consider myself to be a hipster, though.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 8:51 pm

Oggleleus wrote:
2 cents

So it is OK to fib a little about your beliefs to gain acceptance but you are only looking for an Aspie as a girlfriend because you believe only an Aspie girlfriend would be more truthful with you? :P

Be yourself. I think you are learning how "closed minded" some people can be that claim to be "open minded" and liberal. Be honest and let the cards fall as they may. I have many of the same beliefs as you. But, my attitude is that, there is only one of me in this world. Yeah, there will always be someone better at something I can do, but put everything together, and I am one of a freaking kind. Tough to label a unique individual and it helps in resisting those nasty labels.

Personally, I have had more people tell me that I am a bad person because I drive an SUV compared to the number of times I have been told, "I will go to hell" by a religious person. (Yes, Oggleus, son of a preacher and lives in the bible belt).

Good luck.

But the female Aspies who like the Simpsons and South Park won't accept me if I'm a conservative Christian.

Bluestocking
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Apr 2009, 9:20 pm

Having similar tastes in tv shows isn't the end-all determination to love though. My boyfriend is a huge Star Trek fan, reads comic books extensively, and his hobby (as well as life calling) is theoretical physics. I am someone more grounded in the humanities and literature, especially that of Japan and Russia, who hates math and physics and never thought I'd ever date someone who dabbles in Quantum Mechanics for fun. But we still get along splendidly and find much to talk about.
Not to mention, considering the amount of "South Park Republicans" I've met, you might be in luck more than you think in that regard.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 9:23 pm

When I talk about South Park, neocons think I'm the Antichrist.

When I talk about Christianity, hippies/hipsters think I am a bigoted, intolerant prick.

It is not possible to be a neocon, a Christian, and a hippie or hipster at the same time.

Last edited by Tim_Tex on 23 Apr 2009, 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.