Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2024, 6:39 am

"precision of language" ("the giver")

At my job at home Depot, all customers and associates phrase requests as "can you".

"Can you" is not specific enough. "Can you" could mean "do you know how", "will you", "are you allowed to" or whatever.

It appears to me that almost nobody says "would you" or "could you" unless they have a masters degree or higher.

"Can you" sounds like the request is so easy to execute, but something could be easy for one person and hard for a different person

For example, when a customer says "can you help me load a toilet", they might think I physically am strong enough to load a toilet but things are not always the way they appear. And I have a doctor's note that I am not allowed to lift over fifty pounds.

I don't like "can you" because it sounds like just because you "can" do something, you have to.

How about "can you please go commit suicide?". (Could mean "do you know how to commit suicide" or it could be a request.) "You can do anything you set your mind to".

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2024, 11:46 am

People do that because they're not always sure if it's possible at all. I find that it's best to just answer the question and ask if they want it done, or if it's a question for future reference. At least that way, I've eliminated the extra mental work of trying to guess what they actually want, rather than what they asked for.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2024, 6:52 pm

Most people don’t hyper-analyze every word they say before they start talking. Based on context, it’s usually not that hard to figure out what they’re asking.

Often, when someone asks if you “can” do something in the workplace, they mean “would” you do it or please do it.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2024, 8:31 pm

"Please" is not a tongue twister and not hard to pronounce, for me. "Can you" is two syllables and "please" is just one syllable. "please" is short for "if you please", which means "if you want". "Can you" sounds like just b/c you "can", you "have to". And then they have the nerve to claim that they "asked" you to do something by saying "can you"?

Also, I've noticed, that the more academically uneducated someone is, the more likely they are to say "can you" instead of "could you" or "would you". ESL speakers almost always say "can you". They act like "can you" is a grammatically correct polite request.

Also, it gets on my nerves when precious lil "people" have the nerve to say "huh" and "what" instead of "excuse me". That does not sit well with me.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2024, 9:42 pm

P,ease always is the best way to phrase a request.. but often individuals have often ,not grown up un a goid manners environment and revert to what they know , growing up .....And gigure its the best they can do , to form a question.
Very Possibly,, Customer service is an education all by itself , very often. Does expand your social education level , if you can stick it out .. It almost requires one to be mind numb ..to dtrangers And .just attempt to interpet, what the Hec' they are getting at ..then translate, how it shoukd apply to your wirk situation... And then hopefully , some patience ,in the interpersonal dept for all paries. And Not take it personally .. In a hour , who us gonba care , if your dealing in numbers of people .. Sometimes explaining you maynot be authorised to pick up or lift things , with out supervisors direct permission, and , , you maybe happy to find someone qualified to move large items.? Or whatever the situation.
(Person from the correct dept. ) whatever ? Always make deferrence to your higher business officials ?? if appropriate?
Just a FYI , from customer service experience. ..Also will keep your multitasking skills .on Edge. or sharp, choose your own adjective.... And perhaps , maje it through another day . :roll:

where ever you go ,there you are

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2024, 8:45 am

You must be a pleasure to work with.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2024, 9:41 am

I know "can" isn't the right word, but some people ask "can you" because it gives a softer out if the answer is no.

Can you? ----- No, I can't (because I'm busy, because I don't know how, etc.)

Will you / Would you? ----- No, I won't (This sounds much more harsh.)

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2024, 10:27 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I know "can" isn't the right word, but some people ask "can you" because it gives a softer out if the answer is no.

Can you? ----- No, I can't (because I'm busy, because I don't know how, etc.)

Will you / Would you? ----- No, I won't (This sounds much more harsh.)

I think the OP knows everything you and the others have advised him and he just doesn't care. Misery loves company and he's here to share his.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2024, 11:16 am

Rse

I do not go around micromanaging their speech patterns or anything else. However that is not because I don't want to or because I am morally superior to that kind of behavior. Instead it is because home Depot hires convicted felons.

I don't have any method of finding out which particular one has:

Felony convictions
Psychiatric diagnosis
Sex with the boss
Concealed weapon
Gang membership

Or anything else like that

All I know is "at will employer" and everyone has subconscious biases

I am constantly afraid that if a coworker (correctly or wrongly) tells the boss I made a bad or wrong statement or action, the boss will have the nerve to make my worthless corpse redundant. Sometimes coworkers make wrong assumptions.

Besides when I try to say something, usually the recipient doesn't:

Hear
Understand
Believe
Remember
And/ or care

What I said

Also they often misunderstand, and mishear. Instead of "excuse me" they grunt "huh" and "what".

Isabella

Your statement is correct but I don't think that that is the reason why they say "can you " instead of. "will you ".

Because they often say "can you " in a tone that sounds (to me) like if you"can" you have to.

"Can you" sounds pretty condescending to me but it is not possible to objectively measure condescension per se