Has anyone else felt like social outcast/misfit?

Page 2 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

coolies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 May 2012, 12:53 am

yep for sure! i live with my NT parents and NT sister, my brother is also an aspie but diagnosed.
I am finding even at work i am seen as 'off with the fairies'
uni isnt as bad because not alot of people seem to be talking to random other people, but the thing that bothers me the most is people thinking i am not capable of understanding them!

homunculus420
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 May 2012, 5:25 am

I don't just feel like a misfit, I feel like I am of a different species. I do not fit in anywhere.

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 2:41 pm

I am a social outcast, but more so in the past. I grew up in a small town where everyone knew everybody, so it was hard/impossible to find a group of like-minded friends.

These days I am still a bit weird. But not as much. I work with geeky people and I love that. They're way easier to talk to for me, and they are a bit weird themselves so I feel more at home. I would love it if I found someone who's an apsie at work, though...

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 3:00 pm

Yeah, that was my life until I was taken out of highschool. In the 6th grade my mom even had me throw a Halloween party and invite people, some came but then I was never invited to another party before or after and I think I invited everyone in class. Always felt excluded from stuff and like a outcast, no matter what I go. I even feel that way online.

Bunnynose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 May 2012, 6:35 pm

Call me Misfit, for I've long been a square peg trying to force myself into a small, round hole.

Siddhi
Raven
Raven

24 May 2012, 7:32 pm

Every day of my life i feel i dont fit in. I always feel like i am watching from outside. Once in while i get brief feeling of belonging but it is fleeting, never enough for me to really feel the sense of belonging.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 May 2012, 9:25 pm

I was bullied a lot when I was in elementary & I was an extreme loner in school after that.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 9:47 pm

One of the best rock n roll albums ever

omega26
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 May 2012, 10:57 pm

Story of my life, always the outcast or misfit, I can really relate, even as of now

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 1:09 pm

Deep inside I have always felt a social outcast in life. During high school, college, and even my previous job, lots of people (although they treated me kindly externally) never bothered to invite me to their parties or social gatherings. Whenever I asked them if we could hang out sometime, they would directly say "NO" or that they were very busy without something else. What was also worse was that they would castigate me for saying or doing things that I thought were harmless or inoffensive, BUT they took as a major offense.

I'm gonna move to a different city for grad school in July and I'm reading AS social skills books so that I can make and maintain friends, and avoid frequent disasters in social interactions and relationships.

NicoleG
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 2:28 pm

Is this a rhetorical thread?

CuriousKitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jun 2012, 2:50 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
I think that 99% of the folks on WP, including me, feel the way you do.

^^

Irishcream
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2012, 8:33 am

NeueZiel wrote:
Yeah, that was my life until I was taken out of highschool. In the 6th grade my mom even had me throw a Halloween party and invite people, some came but then I was never invited to another party before or after and I think I invited everyone in class. Always felt excluded from stuff and like a outcast, no matter what I go. I even feel that way online.

Same thing happened to me when I lived in Sweden (9-11 years old) but that could have been because I was the foreigner?

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 9:28 am

Only sometimes... other times I don't.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 11:27 pm

RESOUNDING YES! :(

Francois
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jun 2012, 8:59 am

In the past - before coming to university I was certainly seen as a bit of a "weirdo" amongst quite a few at school and sixth form - though I did happen to have one group of friends I fell into (one of them is also on the spectrum - so that helped) , helped by the fact we were all into computer hardware at the time.

People are much more tolerant however at uni - and the weirdo issue hasn't been much of a problem , seeing as most people have outgrown the "popularity contest" stage which is what a lot of being at secondary school (in the UK) is really about. I owe a lot to a NT friend of mine who pushed me into getting a diagnosis for AS particularly - things have been working out much better for me since I'd been in denial for a long while.