Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 12:06 pm

Recently I've been feeling even more isolated than normal. I mean I think it's due to being at sixth form. I have 0 friends there(or at home to be honest :lol: ), in fact I'm so shy I barely speak a word when I'm there. It's terrible really cause when people get to know me and I get comfortable with them I can be quite chatty. I don't particularly have an interest with making friends with the ones at my school. I'm interested in different things and they already know each other anyway.
I don't know if people agree with me or not but I find that not having friends to hang around and have fun with can make your life really boring. At the moment all I have to do is study and whatever other hobbies I can try at home.
I have recently looked for outside clubs or hobbies I can try but it's either too far, too costly or I'm too young or old.(I'm at the awkward age of 17 :P )

Anyways......anyone else in this perdicament? I figured there might be....
Oh and anyone around my age feel free to PM me. 8)

DeadFire87
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Nov 2009, 2:25 pm

I don't have many words either around people. I have looked at the idea of going to bar or club. There is only 2 bars in town and closest club is hour or two away. Bars have noone in them unless there is a band on typical night. You never know though. Sometimes random people appear there. Still though its hard for me to push myself towards going to a bar alone. I have only ever went with my dad and its been dull everytime I have been. Not many nights people go out to have fun.

Try finding a sport or something at local youth center or YMCA or something similar. If not a sport or activity or something of your interest try playing some online video games with clans. If you get into PC gaming you can find many servers with best pings have people around your area you can chat to. Not likely everyone is into video games though. If you find a good clan though you can make a few friends or semi-friends. I don't know. Most clan mates I have hung around forget about me after awhile. Still its fun though.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 9:52 pm

I know what you mean. At my school I don;t really desire the company of many people except for my one friend. When she's not there, I usually just stay by myself, or keep up some lame conversation (a very slow-paced, boring one) so I appear normal.
Well, I suppose you could try just listening out for people who share your interests, and speak up in a friendly manner about the topic. Then you might be able to join the convo and get a clique. :)

Aqua_Dragon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Nov 2009, 5:14 pm

Your school wouldn't happen to have a speech and debate team would it?

BeauZa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2009, 12:39 am

I can totally emphathise with your circumstances.
I'm a bit shy myself; it is difficult for me to pull conversation out of thin air, and I am basically horrible at socializing with a group that I am unfamiliar with. I only have two friends at school, but they are barely around, and it can get pretty lonely without them.
I find myself relying on social sites to communicate, hence the reason why I am a member here! ^_^

Now, I may not be sounding like the most charming and confident man... or boy, that there ever was, but if you would like to discuss this topic further, I would be more than glad! =]

passionatebach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2009, 1:58 am

I feel the same ways sometimes, even in a crowd. I can also very much understand how you feel when you have no friends to do anything with.

I recommend if anything just get out of the house and doing something. Even if it is going to the grocery store to buy a couple of things, sitting in a coffee shop, or going to the library. Strangely enough, you will feel better just being around other people.

Over the long term, another thing that helps is to join a church, organization or activity that you have an interest in. When I was in high school, I was the manager of the basketball and soccer teams, on the newspaper and the student council. Later in life I became very active in the county Democratic Party, the local Unitarian Universalist church, and other volunteer activities. An opportunity that presents itself is that my commuity had devestating flood last year; if I am feeling a little down in the dumps, I usually do volunteer work in the flood zone. I does make you feel a little better knowing that you are helping someone with a worse disposition than yourself.

As for crowds, if I am in one that I don't know anyone, I usually only stay for a short time, have something to eat or drink, and leave. Every once in awhile someone does come up and ask about what you are doing there. It can start a small (of awkward) conversation.