Figured out why I can't stand bars or drinking

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Brianruns10
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 8:21 pm

I've contemplated lately what it is I have against going to bars or places that serve alcohol, even though it's a seemingly major part of the social experience, especially relating to young people...drinks after work, drinks on weekends, drinks at parties, etc., etc.

Of course, the taste of alcohol offends me...I think beer smells of urine, and I've once (by accident" tasted a harder drink and nearly vomited from the bitterness. Yet, there are certainly drinks that cover the taste.

I've always thought they were silly things to spend so much money on. I'm partial to getting a malt somewhere instead. But I've got money to spare.

I find the atmosphere of bars disagreeable: noisy, with bad music. Yet I can deal with it. My work as a cameraman puts me in noisy disagreeable places all the time.

I'm not religious, and I don't oppose alcohol for any reasons of faith or temperance. Heck, I'm for legalizing all drugs...and promptly taxing them!

I don't avoid it for health, because I believe alcohol is fine taken in moderation, just as with any food. And it's been well proven some alcohols can, in limited amounts, be beneficial.

No, I've figured out why I still abhor alcohol, why I'll never drink it willingly, and why I don't like to be with people who rely upon it as part of their social routine:

I find its effect on people most disturbing! People who I know, who I work with professionally, who become different people after a few drinks. They change, becoming strangely boisterous or morose, loud and brutally candid about themselves, or others or even me. People do things they'd never do sober. They are different, and I think that's what I really hate about alcohol. the effect is an uncanny one, when a person reveals a different side after a few drinks. It calls into question everything about that person. Do I know this person? Which is the real one? The one I work alongside, or workout with, or talk on the phone to, or the one who's pounded whiskey and beer. Is either one the real person? What does it say about that persons inner life, that they must take this mood altering drink?

I've had more than my share of insecurities and doubts, but I never felt the need to rely upon alcohol to provide relief or release. And I fear what doors it could open. What could I say or do under the influence? What damage might be done?

I'll never let it happen.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 5:41 am

I've recently stopped drinking champagne and near beer at the pub nights and social events. at the clubhouse. I used to drink cans of that stuff at a time that I've remembered how vulnerable I am, last year around this time. After a few near beers, I'd be smiling and joking and laughing up the storm and I'm usually a serious, sensitive no-nonsense person in real life. I've put my foot down at the last social event, which was a pub night, and decided to drink Coke instead. I felt much more like my sweet self.

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 5:43 pm

I've had the blessing of growing up with an alcoholic uncle around,so I've never been attracted to alcohol or pubs,bars or clubs.I don't think I'm missing out on anything!

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 11:19 pm

(To OP) I've noticed that effect of alcohol too, and that is the same reason I can't stand it. People act so differant on it (often makes them mean, goofy or stupid) and they act like they absolutely MUST have it at a party or they're not having a 'good time.' So dancing, meeting people, and eating free food don't count? :roll:

samsa
Toucan
Toucan

29 Nov 2010, 7:04 am

I'm not of the legal drinking age in my country, yet I can't see myself drinking when I'm older. It is too expensive, and it's effects on people scare me.