Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

SadAspy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 7:52 pm

I've never had much of one. I tried hard to make friends in college and grad school and I did...for awhile, but we drifted apart like people do. Recently, I've been going to an Aspy support group. It was free and I was enjoying it, but now they are going to start charging for it. I'm unemployed and don't get disability.

So my question for anyone who's listening....what are some cheap ways to make friends or at least acquaintances? I've tried going to church lately, but I don't feel like I'm connecting to anyone my own age there.

Nadir
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Sep 2011, 10:12 pm

If you tell me what you like to do in your free time, and the State you live in. I can look for places, activities, and groups where you can fit.
Something you need is a reason why you join whatever you choose, for example, hiking club, you go there to enjoy nature, meet people, healthy life, blahblahblah, so it's something easy to join. a Pub? no that easy to join, cause people don't usually go alone there, or it's not a place where meeting people is easy unless you know someone who knows someone else.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 6:53 am

Can you ask people from the support group if they want to hang out outside of the group?

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 6:54 am

Your attitude might have a little to do with it.

That said, I don't have a social life either.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 9:18 am

^

What's wrong with the OP's attitude?

SadAspy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 10:17 am

Because Tequila has to bring in s**t from another sub-forum.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 12:21 pm

me too...............no social life
just home, cooking, cleaning, washing and going to work
back home...and same routine.......... :?

Greatsharkbite
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 6:24 pm

Quote:
So my question for anyone who's listening....what are some cheap ways to make friends or at least acquaintances? I've tried going to church lately, but I don't feel like I'm connecting to anyone my own age there.

Employment in a job that deals with people directly. Really the only one I can think of would be.. possibly home improvement or something that allows you to work with people in small groups.

Honestly just open your mouth and talk to people whenever you see them, some will reciprocate, some won't.

Last edited by Greatsharkbite on 16 Sep 2011, 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

rapturedAsylum
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Sep 2011, 8:13 pm

You can try sports, :?

I suggest checking out what the social atmosphere is in your group and seeing if it the others will be amicable for you

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 11:32 pm

mds_02 wrote:
Can you ask people from the support group if they want to hang out outside of the group?

I second this. Also, you can try explaining your situation to the people who run the support group ...I am sure they'll be understanding. Perhaps they will lower your fee, or inform other people in the group that you'd like to stay in touch with them.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

DaKing
Toucan
Toucan

16 Sep 2011, 11:23 am

Dont Worry :P

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2011, 8:05 pm

The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
^

What's wrong with the OP's attitude?

I don't know what Tequila means by that, but I have noticed SadAspy pretty much lives up to his/her name. Almost all of their posts are doom and gloom. I'd be SadAspy's friend, because I understand what it is to lack in connections, but I don't think they live in AZ.

Pazza
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Sep 2011, 3:24 pm

Have you tried aranging to meet other group members outside the group? I had no social life befor I sterted going, and it just needs to have the confidence to ask if anyone wants to go for tea or coffee after.