Has anyone else felt like social outcast/misfit?

Page 3 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

younginflavor18
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jun 2012, 6:52 am

I think most people and I on Wrong Planet feel the same way when we feel like lonely social misfits, but in the end we discover that we are not lonely outcasts when we try to seek human interaction and create meaningful friendships.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 4:25 am

I sure do, ever since childhood and up to today. :roll: Most call me a freak while some call me unique.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 6:11 am

That was my life story in high school...

Musicprophets
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jun 2012, 8:44 pm

yes, my life story. I used to think before my diagnosis that "it" would go away one day, for example when i graduated high school and went to a college far enough away. But "it" never went away and "it" never got better. i never woke up one day no longer feeling or being treated as a social outcast.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 6:27 am

simplisticseth wrote:
Some people never liked me and I will never understand why. Back when there were groups, I'd always get picked last. In high school, I NEVER got invited to any of the parties and never went to any of the dances (this includes prom). Throughout most of my life, I've been put-down or insulted because of how different I was to everyone else. Has anyone felt like this or has at least gone through exactly the same emotional distress and social isolation that I've been through?

most of the people never liked me and i am bullied everywhere.
i have been ignored throughout school life, a nonexistent social life in college
lost several jobs due lack of social skills
and present job also i am bullied and invisible.
:?

slowly i am trying to cut off myself and isolate myself from society
because any effort towards socializing and friendship backfires badly

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 9:03 am

Yeah, I even feel like an outcast here. I've gradually accepted I'll always be one, no matter where I go.

Aspertastic424
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jul 2012, 5:12 pm

NeueZiel, I cannot believe you would ever feel like an outcast on wrongplanet, a place that should be very warm and accepting!!

I have. Doesen't feeling like that go part and parcel with having AS?

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 10:50 pm

Def at times.

Most of the time though I feel more like the "Outside Observer" character from Stark Trek (Spock and Data)

dunya
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jul 2012, 12:58 pm

Picked on at school, tried very hard to fit in a College, but made no real friends. Still find it hard.

Some people I live with treat me as lesser than themselves. I think it's because they have problems but want someone worse than them to look down on.
Mostly they ignore me, or fail to include me in stuff. Some of them mock me openly.
One is a trainee Psychotherapist and horribly judgemental. I'd never tell her anything private.
Another keeps dropping ideas how I could be happier if only I followed today's little helpful "hint". But he never takes the time to ask what is actually bothering me.

I wish I could find friends who accept me as I am.
:(

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 4:01 pm

It has occurred to me today that the end goal of my day is to avoid "scary" social problems as much as possible, then get home to be by myself where I am safe.

man-hands
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Jul 2012, 4:10 pm

I have always been different---and not in a way that felt good. I never knew how to make friends or insert myself into conversations with peers. Half the time I couldn't even follow the conversations, so just sat there quietly. This has been going on all during childhood and well into the present.

I have trouble on other "normal people" forums because I misinterpret what their posts mean. I never know how to respond to various posts on those forums because I know I will give a response that will be interpreted by the other "normal people" as blunt, aloof, or unable to understand. It is a huge pain in the drain. But I want to fit in---it's just like I can't.

My sister (also aspies---not diagnosed) used to say we felt like we were aliens. Like our speech was "martian" And we could understand each other, [ but "normies" couldn't understand us.] I seldom can read between the lines and grasp the emotional tone or "unspoken" message of other people's words---both written and spoken. I'm a literal-thinker. Yes, very different from "normies".

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 5:59 pm

For the vast majority of my life, this was me. Until I started developing my social skills and confidence, I was always the shy, awkward one who always felt out of place in social situations. Kids tried to include me, but I found myself being quiet and not being able to socialize effectively enough to feel included. My only friends for quite a while were a girl with an intellectual disability and some younger kids.

Today, I have a few close friends and a boyfriend, all who truly include me and care about me. However, I'm not perfect socially, as I've also screwed up some friendships and weaved in and out of social groups over the past few years, leading me to still feel this way sometimes. I feel at times that I'm halfway between normal and socially awkward. I can seem fine in person, but the doubts and insecurities I have socially often hold me back from truly connecting with people at times.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

KillerWaffles
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jul 2012, 11:55 pm

I don't really fit in with people my age, and I was bullied a lot at my last school. At my new school people there felt sorry for me and my group of friends, so they gave us phony compliments. I didn't much care for my friends, the only thing we had in common was our poor social skills. There was only one girl who was vocal about her disdain towards us,she gossiped about me, and called my borderline anorexic friend a fatass. I was picked last everyday, and a group of jesusfreaks gave me a hard time about not going to church. People are just so annoying.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 10:21 am

I don't want to repeat what I've said fifty times before, but I was an outcast for sure and the few friends I had were as well (either learning disabilities or physical ones). I've always got along great with people much older than I but until recently struggled to get along with men my age. To put it in family friendly terms, I am a VERY late bloomer. Luckily I'm pretty much okay with people now since my special interest is very popular in Canada and I have a reputation of being reliable so people always call me to play hockey.

Far from ideal but I'm doing much better than at any point in my life although I wish I could communicate with women! It sucks being single, especially when you really like kids.

TalksToCats
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jul 2012, 11:36 am

Often, that feeling of 'being on the outside, on the fringes, left of center' is very strong with me.

Interestingly, it gets a lot worse when I'm stressed out or anxious for some reason, even if the stress source is nothing to do with a social situation.

I think the various types of challenge type thinking, acceptance of being different thinking and relaxation type stuff I do to deal with this 'outsider' feeling get harder when I'm more stressed; the result that being I tend to feel more like a misfit when I cannot handle that feeling well due to anxiety, then the feeling of being even more of a misfit can then feed my anxiety spiral more and so it goes on...and on...not recomended.

I try very hard to leap in and prevent myself doing this as it's not a healthy type of labelling for me - but definitely this is harder for me to prevent when stressed.

And yes, I can even manage to feel like an outsider on WP ...but I think I can make myself feel like this pretty much anywhere if I don't try hard to stop it...

I want a magic switch that I can flip when ever I feel like this that is my immediate it's ok to be different switch so I can turn off my negative reactions to feeling like an outsider...anyone got one :D

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 2:39 pm

I don't really fit in society anyway.