Old fashioned gestures: Bowing, standing up, ect.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

starryeyedvoyager
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 4:18 pm

Someone recently brought to my attention that he finds it extremely strange that I bow when greeting people and saying good-byes, or when acknowledging them. Now, I know why I do this so excessively, since I do alot of japanese martial arts, and small bows are common to do there, so the habit stuck with me, but I do remember doing that before, as well. Bowing has always been a gesture of compliance and respect, and seems like it is a a movement that comes naturally with humans, so I only find it reasonable to assume that people with AS, who usually do more what comes naturally to them without regarding trained social forms, are more prone to do that. Just figured I'd asked if some of you do that.
Same goes for standing up from your seat when greeting people. I have always done that, and never given a thought that most people don't. I usually get complimented for my manners, and that it is a rare occasion to see a "young" man of today do such things (strangely, even younger people, especially women, are impressed by that, even though it always occured to me as very stiff and formal, I just can't help it).

BroodQueen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Sep 2012, 4:21 pm

I have the exact problem I dont know where it comes from, but as far as mannerisms and social behavior I have always been kinda stuck in the past.