Expressing non-sexual affection between males (and females)

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Rodland
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Sep 2012, 5:56 am

The following web page has lots of old pictures where men who are friends are touching each other. The site suggests that these days men are afraid of being identified as homosexuals and thus do not touch each other so easily anymore.

LINK: Bosom buddies - A photo history of male affection

What do you think? Should men (and women) show more affection to each other by touching?

Some autistic people do not like touching others so some people here might also think that the historical development (if it has really happened as the page suggests) is a positive outcome ...right?

(You can also discuss about females on this thread though the page suggests that these questions are more relevant regarding to men.)

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 6:49 am

I hug my friends all the time. In fact, when my best friend and I see each other and we haven't seen each other for a few days we hug. When one of us leaves and we won't be seeing each other for several days, we hug, usually kiss on the cheek and say we love each other. Sometimes I say it first, sometimes she says it first. Most of my friends hug like that that. I'm pretty affectionate.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 7:05 am

I do put my arms over a guy's shoulder as they would with me. Though I wouldn't sit on their lap or hug them due to my insecurities and how I feel about it.
So in a way I do show non-sexual affection to both genders, however it wouldn't mean anything to me in terms of wanting more out of it.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

mljt
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2012, 3:21 pm

I hug some friends. Most of my friends are gay/trans/queer in some way, so "rules" about touching etc when it comes to two guys are slightly blurred. I tend to always let other people initiate a hug, hand shake, kiss or whatever because I know I'll totally misjudge a situation.

Samian
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Sep 2012, 7:48 am

a hug between male friends could be OK if you haven't seen them in a long time. Or just shake hands or say g'day .