Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Raj2442
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Feb 2013, 6:26 am

Kids at school say hello to me, and when I say hello to them they and/or their friends laugh at me. I try and make conversation with a random person at school, and they look at their friends as if to say "Why is this guy talking to me?" or "WTF?!" or they look at me strange or awkwardly. Sometimes I talk to people but they ignore me or don't here me or don't listen.

I am a shy and quiet Aspie teen and I'm just trying to put my self out there and try and have a decent conversation with someone, but I just get strange or odd looks and negative reactions. I stay quiet and in the background, but when I actually open my mouth I seem to get nothing but negativity and rejection.

And it's not like I'm saying odd or inappropriate stuff either. I feel that whenever I try to socialize with other people I get nothing but this.

Why do you think people do this to me?
Also, do you ever go through this as well?

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 7:59 am

If you are seen as the quiet person, then it would surprise people if you start speaking to them. They probably put you in the: person that would never speak to me box. I would suggest, try greeting more people and continue to do so even after they give you a strange look. It will be tiring, but continue to do so. Next time they might open up a bit more. The idea is that they must get used to you.

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 10:18 am

I'll give you the same advice I wish I could go back in time and give to my highschool age self........

Find the other socially awkward kids in your school and make friends with them.

Most of my best friends now graduated from the same highschool as me within a year apart. We had many of the same teachers and even dealt with many of the same bullies. However, they were as socially withdrawn as me so we never hung out.

Vectorspace
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 10:24 am

I don't think there is so much you can do about it at your age. It's quite typical, but it will probably get better in a few years.
For now, try not to get depressed about it and don't develop hatred against other people.

Raj2442
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Feb 2013, 8:12 am

Stalk wrote:
If you are seen as the quiet person, then it would surprise people if you start speaking to them. They probably put you in the: person that would never speak to me box. I would suggest, try greeting more people and continue to do so even after they give you a strange look. It will be tiring, but continue to do so. Next time they might open up a bit more. The idea is that they must get used to you.

Thank you. This helped a lot.