Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 12:36 pm

Does anyone else feel this way? People talk the most random nonsense just to talk. I don't know how they fill their heads with so much trivial minutia. I just don't know or care about enough about the assorted crap that comes up. Everything is a joke, nonstop. They generally don't try to include others in the conversation or make quieter people feel welcome. I just don't know how to be a f*****g loud mouth like the rest. I'm not "shy", I just can't even think fast enough to keep up or even know what people are carrying on about. Even if I try to carry on a conversation with one of the quieter people, I can't get to know them before some loud mouth barges in with some lame joke, just cutting me off. It seems like everyone has ADHD. They have no attention span. The topic changes randomly and there's never any depth whatsoever. If I'm feeling alone, depressed, and left-out, they neither notice nor care. I'm just getting the sense that the majority of people are either loud obnoxious idiots or selfish as*holes. I've been trying to join groups online but it's just utterly pointless. It's not the way to make friends at all.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 1:06 pm

I felt people would not let me be quiet. They would say things like "we've been here 20 minutes and jkt has not said anything".

I do have trouble keeping up. I start to form something to say and they are off on a different topic. As far as depth, it could be the demographic. I thought volunteering on a political campaign might bring camaraderie. I once found an ancient history site where the people were really interesting but I lost the information about that.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 1:09 pm

People make me suicidal. I really want to spray my brains in front of a bunch of idiots. It's like they don't even care how damaging they are. I notice how rude and insensitive people are too. If they're supposedly NT an have "theory of mind" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:, then they must be being as*holes on purpose. We've got a "f**k you I've got mine culture" here in the US.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 1:24 pm

They are not worth taking that seriously. They are just a bunch of animals not really knowing what they are doing and responding to their drives. Yeah. I have wondered about the "theory of mind" with regular people because they seem so bad at it. I think only some people are as*holes on purpose and others forget to think about how others feel. We definitely have a "f**k you I've got mine culture" and it is only getting worse. We also have the "I'm superior, so I should have more" culture.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 5:20 pm

They're called extroverts, and this loud, shallow, abrasive, impulsive sort of socializing is apparently what energizes them, difficult as it may be for us to understand.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 6:54 pm

starkid wrote:
They're called extroverts, and this loud, shallow, abrasive, impulsive sort of socializing is apparently what energizes them, difficult as it may be for us to understand.

It seems like 90% of the world is extroverts. They don't seem to really reflect on anything deeply ever. There's a lot of trivia and jokes, nothing more. I also notice most people don't seem very curious. They are good talkers, good at parroting back things they've heard, making a good-sounding delivery of a story or joke. They don't have anything original or particularly well-thought-out to say. They use a lot of cliche's when expressing themselves. They're quick at thinking on their feet, but they don't seem to ever reflect or ask "why". It just seems like these are the types of people who dominate our culture. Being quiet and thoughtful is not valued. Being loud and aggressive is valued. Thinking isn't valued as much as "doing". Everyone has to be "doing" something, at all times, often multiple things at once. They can't enjoy the scenery without browsing the internet on their phone. They talk about their tech stuff and gadgets constantly. Seattle in particular is a city obsessed with technology. Technology is fine and dandy, but I don't find talking about clever new phone features interesting. I think this city is somewhat mad. It's like people don't really stop and appreciate anything for more than a second or two.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 7:01 pm

marshall wrote:
It seems like 90% of the world is extroverts

The quiet people are probably hiding out at home or the library. That's what I do.

SorriorDragneel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jun 2014, 2:34 pm

starkid wrote:

I am a hybrid but mainly introvert..Like a social gathering of more then 3-4 people and i am expected to talk is exhausting..And yeah..I had two HARDCORE extroverts in my house the other day and i got drained just from them interacting..Ironically one on one i am quite the exrovert..But yeah...They really do..I cannot get it.

Like my buddy keeps telling me to go to the bar..I HATE it..So loud annoying and more..Hell at a strip club the ONE time i went i just found myself observing human behavior and wishing i was home(got a ride with friends). I had the same reaction ata dance related to the local anime con...

That said get me going on my obsessions especially one on one or with only one extrovert around and i am a talking machine..But those are my obsessions LOL.

But yeah i don;t get it myself..I have adapted to become part extrovert but honestly even 2-4 hours of REAL socializing can have me wanting to curl up in my bed and just sleep/rest..

SorriorDragneel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jun 2014, 2:37 pm

starkid wrote:
marshall wrote:
It seems like 90% of the world is extroverts

The quiet people are probably hiding out at home or the library. That's what I do.

I hang out at home in my nice dark cold room with my TV on/playing games personally....The internet and MMOs give me more then enough socializing all i crave every so often is companionship(as in female company) and VERY VERY rarely to see friends..But generally i prefer to be alone/with a trusted fried..Preferably one of the rare women that has a calming effect on me.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2014, 7:47 am

marshall wrote:
Does anyone else feel this way? People talk the most random nonsense just to talk. I don't know how they fill their heads with so much trivial minutia. I just don't know or care about enough about the assorted crap that comes up. Everything is a joke, nonstop. They generally don't try to include others in the conversation or make quieter people feel welcome. I just don't know how to be a f***ing loud mouth like the rest. I'm not "shy", I just can't even think fast enough to keep up or even know what people are carrying on about. Even if I try to carry on a conversation with one of the quieter people, I can't get to know them before some loud mouth barges in with some lame joke, just cutting me off. It seems like everyone has ADHD. They have no attention span. The topic changes randomly and there's never any depth whatsoever. If I'm feeling alone, depressed, and left-out, they neither notice nor care. I'm just getting the sense that the majority of people are either loud obnoxious idiots or selfish as*holes. I've been trying to join groups online but it's just utterly pointless. It's not the way to make friends at all.

I know the feeling. I can't even describe how deeply I do know the feeling because we would be here forever. At my school N.T's manage to go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on to no end about mindless, trivial, insignificant, pointless, depthless, non-goal oriented things. People yap on and on like chatterboxes.

I'm not shy and introverted at school nor am I confident and extroverted, I try to appear shy but talkative and conversational at the same time. Active but weird and unique.

I still can't join a conversation though. NTs who barely know each other but go to the same school (my school) might be talking but the second I do so much as look like I'm listening to them I am looked at badly. They're from my school and not even talking about personal things but common stuff on a bus and I can't even listen to what they're saying or look on with interest and a smile without coming off as creepy or just being ignored and pushed aside.

One on one conversations with shyer people almost never work because someone more confident loves to come in and look cool for some inexplicable reason.

I am not shy and enjoy converse and I can keep up easily. I just input only a little. NT social ettiqute means, generally, you listen 90% of the time, contribute 10%. However this does not work at all.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2014, 7:57 am

marshall wrote:
starkid wrote:

It seems like 90% of the world is extroverts. They don't seem to really reflect on anything deeply ever. There's a lot of trivia and jokes, nothing more. I also notice most people don't seem very curious. They are good talkers, good at parroting back things they've heard, making a good-sounding delivery of a story or joke. They don't have anything original or particularly well-thought-out to say. They use a lot of cliche's when expressing themselves. They're quick at thinking on their feet, but they don't seem to ever reflect or ask "why". It just seems like these are the types of people who dominate our culture. Being quiet and thoughtful is not valued. Being loud and aggressive is valued. Thinking isn't valued as much as "doing". Everyone has to be "doing" something, at all times, often multiple things at once. They can't enjoy the scenery without browsing the internet on their phone. They talk about their tech stuff and gadgets constantly. Seattle in particular is a city obsessed with technology. Technology is fine and dandy, but I don't find talking about clever new phone features interesting. I think this city is somewhat mad. It's like people don't really stop and appreciate anything for more than a second or two.

Again, also cannot describe how much I agree without writing an epic novel.

I remember hearing of a psychological theory somewhere that, the more time spent alone means the more time we spend thinking.

I definitely agree with this.

It seems that N.T's stupify each other - being around other people so much causes stupidity.

It discourages individual thinking to replace it with a "group"-mindset.

Not a hive mind where all members are exactly the same, but rather a group of different people all bandwagoning and jumping to the next trends/fads/common behavior of their generation to all become similar/the same.

Introverts manage to spend time alone and develop critical thinking. They can think for themselves.

Seeing socialization, social structure, societal behavior and socializing of society from the outside looking into the inside creates curiosity and fascination, in turn causing critical, theoretical, and hypothetical thinking.

N.T's however, especially extroverted N.T's, remain on the inside, focusing on their own lives and ignoring the observant outsiders.

The outsiders see social interaction and human social behavior for what it really is and are capable of developing deep philosophical and scientific thoughts regarding this.

N.T's however continue to experience the social interaction itself which influences their personalities.

Think of it as watching a movie.

Only you see how the characters in a movie act and behave, the characters are incapable of seeing how they come across because they are not observing but experiencing.

And the characters in the movie are blind to the viewers.

This is the basis of society for extroverts vs. introverts...

NT's only have themselves to blame for the lack of ability to think for themselves or theorize.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2014, 10:08 pm

I don't care so much that people are interested in a lot of trivia. I find the worst thing is people are just rude and non-inclusive. I think people can get away with being this way because technology has made people less inter-dependent. Instead of being a survival skill, socialization has been relegated to a form of entertainment. It's pushed to a very mindless trivial superficial level. Deeper emotional connection has been made obsolete. The emotional need for companionship outside the "nuclear family" is now evolutionarily vestigial. Sensitivity is a nuisance trait that only leads to suffering. We are supposed to be more like machines. Machines that chatter and entertain each other. That or people create these impenetrable barriers because deep down nobody truly trusts the other. Genetically we are identical to paleolithic hunter-gatherers. In this historic world of scarcity, strangers were not to be trusted. A stranger could kill you and take your s**t. Because strangers are not to be trusted, people only interact on an extremely shallow level, being careful to reveal nothing of to their true selves to others, lest they be made vulnerable. The number one social rule in modern society is to never become a burden on anyone else. Don't ask for anything or you will be crucified. You see this in the whole "you're not entitled to anything" meme. Everyone must work (i.e. trade your skills and person as an impersonal commodity in return for the means to live) as an isolated unit in an impersonal sphere. We are simply forced to go through certain rituals and make ourselves entertaining to others.

Niandralades
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jun 2014, 10:31 pm

I wish I wasn't so introverted. I just don't have a lot to say about myself like most extroverted people do.

SoMissunderstood
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jun 2014, 12:10 am

marshall wrote:
Does anyone else feel this way? People talk the most random nonsense just to talk. I don't know how they fill their heads with so much trivial minutia. I just don't know or care about enough about the assorted crap that comes up. Everything is a joke, nonstop. They generally don't try to include others in the conversation or make quieter people feel welcome. I just don't know how to be a f***ing loud mouth like the rest. I'm not "shy", I just can't even think fast enough to keep up or even know what people are carrying on about. Even if I try to carry on a conversation with one of the quieter people, I can't get to know them before some loud mouth barges in with some lame joke, just cutting me off. It seems like everyone has ADHD. They have no attention span. The topic changes randomly and there's never any depth whatsoever. If I'm feeling alone, depressed, and left-out, they neither notice nor care. I'm just getting the sense that the majority of people are either loud obnoxious idiots or selfish as*holes. I've been trying to join groups online but it's just utterly pointless. It's not the way to make friends at all.

I hear you and I am trialling selective mutism as an answer to this.

To understand human nature and behaviour, it's necessary to delve into the NT psyche.

If you are 'there' and 'appear interested', it becomes a cue for others to disrespect and ignore you. The very moment you try and involve yourself in a conversation, it gives other people the fuel and the bait to shut you out...

So, be in the same room doing something else entirely (like dusting) and make it painfully obvious you are ignoring them and don't give a damn about whatever they have to say and then they will bend over backwards to try and include you in their conversation, as it's much preferable to being 'evesdropped on'.

Sometimes (even though I know it's bad), I must accentuate the symptoms of my Autism, or else I just appear 'normal' to everybody else...so I pretend that I cannot speak.

This comes in handy when I am meeting an associate of somebody I already know, when whatever I say has the possibility of getting twisted around and reported back to the person I know with negative consequences.

Yes, there's no connection between humans outside the family unit and even that is de-stabilising. People don't give a damn about anything I have to say anyway, so why speak at all? Make a 'statement' by being silent. It's not about being silent and being 'submissive' to let people walk and talk all over you in that silence....it's all about 'making a point' that human beings are generally a waste of oxygen.

The times...the many times something happens like this:

*I open my car door in a parking lot and accidentally scratch the tiniest bit of paint off the neighbouring car.

**car owner starts to rant and rave and carry on like I just took to it with a sledgehammer or something.

***I apologise profusely and offer her $100 for a touch-up at the local Auto-detailers and this STILL doesn't pacify her...

Then, I start getting very angry...yes, it was all my fault, but what is this a mad-woman overreacting like I just killed her baby...

So, I get out my license and start doing the whole 'insurance thing' and I ask her if she's willing to lose her 'no-claim bonus' over this little incident. Then I give her the name and number of my family's solicitor and strongly suggest she speak to him, as I have nothing further to say to her. She then realises her folly and storms off in a huff.

Playing the 'solicitor card' works like a treat! ALWAYS!

People will just flap their lips, wasting oxygen until it comes time to DO something about it and take the matter further, costing them MORE money than they would have spent trying to fix the problem in the first place.

You got a problem with ME? Kindly talk to my lawyer, kthxbai.

Works like a charm.

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2014, 6:54 am

Social talk really makes me wonder. I can talk easily about ''lighter'' subjects as I don't really make such a distinction between a heavy or hard subject and a 'lighter' subject, but when I do I actually talk about it. Somehow many people manage to discuss something without even discussing it at all. The subject on itself can be pretty interesting and elevating, yet with most people such a conversation is in fact hardly distinguishable from any other subject they mention as they don't ACTUALLY discuss it. Not even in the slightest. It's like they can produce talk, and then just use a subject as a basis for the talk-producing as a goal on itself.

So hard to explain, and even worse in English :P

I really like it when I find someone like me who discusses the subject. Those are the enjoyable and 'socially satisfying' conversations, such conversations which can even be rather shallow but less than with most NTs make me feel connected to someone. But as of yet I still lack that special skill of being able to discuss a subject without discussing it in the slightest. I could improve on that but on the other hand, why would I?

(not a native speaker)

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2014, 8:02 am

YourMajesty wrote:
Social talk really makes me wonder. I can talk easily about ''lighter'' subjects as I don't really make such a distinction between a heavy or hard subject and a 'lighter' subject, but when I do I actually talk about it. Somehow many people manage to discuss something without even discussing it at all. The subject on itself can be pretty interesting and elevating, yet with most people such a conversation is in fact hardly distinguishable from any other subject they mention as they don't ACTUALLY discuss it. Not even in the slightest. It's like they can produce talk, and then just use a subject as a basis for the talk-producing as a goal on itself.

So hard to explain, and even worse in English :P

I really like it when I find someone like me who discusses the subject. Those are the enjoyable and 'socially satisfying' conversations, such conversations which can even be rather shallow but less than with most NTs make me feel connected to someone. But as of yet I still lack that special skill of being able to discuss a subject without discussing it in the slightest. I could improve on that but on the other hand, why would I?

I don't understand, are you saying they just don't go into DEPTH with discussions and only basically talk about a subject without analysing it, or do you mean something else?