Why do people like to get drunk during parties?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

wpnjs
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Nov 2015, 8:01 am

I recently got hired in a new job. After around 4 months, I started going out with my co-workers to de-stress and socialize. It is really lonely to be alone, and everyone was so nice. I started seeing my co-workers as friends. We went to karaoke, dinner, swimming parties, etc. Some of these events got really wild, some of the people in the group was drunk and were not themselves. In the morning, they forget what they did. This already happened twice, and I am starting to wonder, why do people enjoy getting drunk when being drunk means acting in ways you'll probably regret the next day. In my case, what I like about drinking during dinner or events is that people get to talk and that is what I really want. I want an intimate conversation with a few people at a time. Of course, I understand that every person is different. I just want to understand why people like to drink to the point of recklessness.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 9:12 am

People get drunk to either get away from their problems in life, or to make it easier for them to socialize with other people.

There are many NT's who have some sort of social anxiety, just like people with autism. Drink battens down the inhibitions.

Don't start drinking because they are drinking, though. You wouldn't be doing yourself any favors.

alex
Developer
Developer

30 Nov 2015, 9:14 am

I think the main reason is it lowers inhibitions. For a lot of smart people it also stops them from overthinking everything so they can be more "in the moment."

dobyfm
Toucan
Toucan

30 Nov 2015, 12:03 pm

Based on the responses I got from my family members, it is because it is like a release from life's problems.

cato4797
Raven
Raven

30 Nov 2015, 4:05 pm

it lowers inhibitions and makes anxiety less of a problem - makes it easier to have fun. Personally I love getting drunk at parties.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 6:50 pm

Yeah a bit drunk is understandable as it lowers inhibitions and helps with confidence and relaxation, but I don't see the point in getting absolutely hammered.

Some people have lots of fun then wake up with a bad hangover the next day, but some people even have issues during the night they get super drunk.

Too much alcohol in one night is simply dangerous. Your inhibitions are lowered to the point you take risks, it can bring out aggression or even fear and anxiety again (which is what you wanted to hide with the alcohol) you can get sick during the night, pass-out, or do all kinds of other stuff.

So, OP, it honestly depends on HOW drunk they're getting. A few standard drinks (3/4) is alright but binge drinking is just foolish imho.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 6:58 pm

Depending on the drink, 3-4 drinks could be too much. 3-4 beers might be okay.

I've seen people get absolutely hammered after 2 beers.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 8:13 pm

As an Aspie, apparently I don't need alcohol to lower my inhibitions.
If they're playing decent music with a good beat, I'll get up and dance ...
while I may be shy about knowing what to say in groups,
I'm not shy at all when it comes to being on the dance floor with everybody looking.

I don't drink to get drunk.
I might have a glass of wine (sangria, even better) or one beer (Irish or German) or one mixed drink,
if they happen to have something I like the taste of.
I'd rather just talk with a few people
when all of us are sober.

"It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine." -- REM

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 9:13 pm

I never drank at parties because I was too paranoid about what it would do to my behaviour, but I often wonder if people get plastered at parties because it's boring. You're often in crowded venues with pounding music so you can't hear anything the person next to you is saying, which rules out any interesting conversation or even that chance of a connection with someone else. Unless you're at a dinner party there is no food to be an interesting point, and everyone looks ridiculous dancing and they know it, so no dancing sober either. You either get drunk and go apeshit or sit around being bored to death.

cato4797
Raven
Raven

30 Nov 2015, 11:02 pm

I'm in college so I often go to multiple parties in one night and end up drinking 10-13 beers in three-four hours

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 11:13 pm

You see, one of the inhibitions that it removes is the one about not drinking more. So people start out civilized and then devolve into animals. It can be cathartic.

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 11:14 pm

Because parties are boring.

EggStirMeanAte
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Nov 2015, 11:15 pm

Having a drink releases happy chemicals in a person's brain, so they have another, and it feels good, so they have another, and it feels good, and so on until they've had way more then they planned on having. People use alcohol to self-medicate, but it's hard to be your own psychiatrist in the moment without any perspective.