Staying in contact with ex friend's family

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2016, 11:44 am

Hi:
I was wondering what your views were about staying in touch with ex-friend's parents or family members? What are your feelings about that?

Earthbound
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2016, 1:55 pm

It seems like it could get awkward at times, other than that I suppose it could be fine.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2016, 10:59 am

I think it's probably okay with an ex-friend. Where it could get a bit more awkward is if it's the family of an ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend. My now-ex-in-laws were still in touch with my then-husband's ex girlfriend, whom they were crazy about. They weren't so crazy about me, so, that hurt.

My sister's ex-boyfriends and ex-friends stayed in touch with my parents and a few of them even visited my mother very so often, just to chat. They all loved my mum. I got the feeling my sister didn't really mind or care.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2016, 8:06 am

The reason why I ask is because I had long had a falling out two and a half years ago. When I found out that they didn't want me in their life anymore I unfriended them on Facebook. Until recently I decided to keep their dad as a network as I looked up to him for so many reasons. Whenever I posted anything though he just ignored them. I also happened to wish him happy birthday last week and rather than say thank you and be appreciative, he deleted my posting. I decided not to have any more contact with him. That's why I had wondered if it was inappropriate.

Korvan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Aug 2016, 6:11 pm

Maybe he has deleted them not to have both your feelings and those of your ex-friend hurt? Try private messaging him instead next time and if you get no response or an unwanted response I would say remove them. I removed a lot of friends of friends from my Facebook recently and it feels so much better with just my two handfuls of friends and family members. I wouldn't say it's bad to still have him on Facebook, but you don't want someone just being there to potentially snoop and relate your privacy to your ex-friend either.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2016, 9:13 pm

Her friends and family and spouse supposedly complained about me all the time because they thought I was too "Chatty." Her father evidently told my ex not to invite me to a cookout six years ago due to that reason. This was supposed since one of his guests was under lots of stress and had seizures. He was afraid that my talking would set off a seizure so my ex-friend had to rip the invitation away from me.

That whole group of people were nice to my face but supposedly when I wasn't around they made a big deal about how I did this or that. Seeing that he deleted my posting really said something to me about that group. That entire group seems to act like their poo doesn't stink while they think mine did.

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Aug 2016, 1:23 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
Hi:
I was wondering what your views were about staying in touch with ex-friend's parents or family members? What are your feelings about that?

Exes are exes for a reason time to move on. Staying close to your exes family is going to only drive away any men interested in you and is prob gonna cause jealousy.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2016, 11:50 am

HisShadow: Have you even read the last post? No, my situation was my a romantic relationship but a platonic one. I have decided that none of these people are worth the time or day. I have been happier since I cut them all out of my life.

As I said they disliked me and found the silliest reasons to:

Example: Onetime I went to a get together at the parents where a closer friend of my ex-friend lived. They had gone to high school together. We both went to dinner there and as you know being self-aware of social skills can be a problem for us. It's even worse when other people are polite to our face and then go behind your back and tear you apart rather than getting ahold of us directly and talking to us about things that bother them. That is exactly what happened that night:
1. A parent of another friend got up to get something to drink and I sat down in her chair because I had assumed that she wasn't coming back.
2. I dominated the conversation
3. I was so bubbly that it was at the level of a 7-year-old.
4. I went to two of her friend's gatherings and her friend didn't like it.