Leaving an abusive group and trying to find new friends

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Wokenswole
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Feb 2017, 8:18 pm

Hello, I have recently realized that there is more to life than video games, watching movies, and smoking weed all day. I unfortunately have a group of friends that are in the firm opinion that those are what life is all about. I had a really great discussion with my older brother about what I should do with my life, and he told me to stop hanging out with losers. I agree with what he said and I had already stopped being friends with those people, because of the ways which they were a negative influence on me.

I have not visited or hung out with these people in roughly six months, which is great. I am very fortunate to be employed and to have a job that I can focus on during my difficult times. I had used this job as my reason for cutting off the relationship since I was so very busy and committed to my work.

So it is very good that I am far away from these bad people. But now there are no good people beside me, which is very disappointing. I want to make new friends, and in particular people who are not into drinking or drugs, or screwing around doing dumb stuff in a basement all day. I need to surround myself with happy and genuine people so I can be positively influenced by them. That is what I need to do to make myself feel better.

Do any people with experience leaving these negative situations know what to do next? Where should I go to make new friends? I'm at a loss here since I don't know where I should go and make a fresh start. I've given up a lot of my old hobbies and I'm ready to replace them with more productive activities. I'm honestly considering moving out of the city since I really don't enjoy this materialism and consumerism that I see the people around me, and myself included, engaging in.