OK at talking to colleagues but not residents...

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2017, 12:05 pm

I work as a cleaner at a care home, and although I'm quite quiet I do fit in with my colleagues and I love eating lunch with them and stopping to chat during work, etc. But I have difficulties speaking out to the residents there.

Recently I've been working in a part of the home where the residents have the latest stages of Alzheimer's; some are permanently in bed and others just walk around like zombies, completely oblivious to the world, and I have never felt happier at work whilst cleaning rooms on that particular wing, because I don't have to make conversation with the residents so much. I feel a lot more relaxed, and for the first time ever, I actually don't mind going to work!
But like I said, I don't have much difficulties with interacting with my colleagues, and up on this particular wing you are actually interacting MORE with your colleagues because these residents need constant supervision so you're working nearer them and you so talk more. But that doesn't seem to bother me.

With my difficulties speaking to the residents, could it be that I have trouble speaking to them because most of them are deaf (because they're elderly) and that I find it awkward to have a conversation with deaf people, because of having to speak with a higher, loud and clear tone, which doesn't feel natural to me? Could that be why, do you think? I do have trouble speaking loud, and I have a sort of cockney mumble, where I don't sounds T's and some words run into each other.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2017, 4:27 pm

Could this be selective introversion? (Not so much selective mutism because I don't go completely mute).

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 4:43 am

What do you think and feel when you are with the residents and you consider talking to them? Compare that with how you feel around your colleagues. Is there a difference?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 5:57 am

DataB4 wrote:
What do you think and feel when you are with the residents and you consider talking to them? Compare that with how you feel around your colleagues. Is there a difference?

Hmm, that's a good question. With old people, I probably find interaction awkward because they're deaf, and I find speaking loudly and clearly a lot of effort. With colleagues, it's just different. They're also working, like me, and I just feel more of a connection. With residents, it just feels different, even though they are less likely to judge.