Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2017, 8:03 pm

One of the things that bother me are people who have uppity or arrogant attitudes and think they are more important so they talk down to you?

For example- when someone corrects you for making a mistake.

Take today, for instance, I happened to check out an Amazon pop-store at a mall because I recently ordered a blue tooth speaker with Alexa technology while I have been waiting, I had wanted to get a feel for the technology and had trouble.

The sales rep working there was not only very unhelpful but she was extremely pretentious and thought it was okay to talk down to me.
1. While I was struggling to use Alexa on an Echo Dot, she said "That's not Alexa, it goes by computer."
2. Then when I attempted to asked if she owned an Alexa being that I wanted to know how one work she had the habit of correcting me, "It's not an Alexa it's an Amazon Echo."

I walked out mad by saying "I know that, I am not stupid. Don't talk to me like that" and left feeling like I didn't go anywhere.

What comebacks should I have for someone who acts like that?

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2017, 11:18 pm

I would have been like "No s**t Sherlock" or "Gee, you think" in a sarcastic tone.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2017, 12:41 am

I wouldn't go back there ever again.

About 25 years ago I ran into a problem at a Sears store in the Baybrook Mall in Houston near the Johnson Space Center. I was looking for a new VCR and the saleswoman wouldn't let me handle the remotes at all and couldn't answer any questions. Instead, she just turned one on and started watching whatever demo tape was in it.

After about 15 seconds, I turned around and left and went to another store elsewhere where I had better service.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2017, 12:15 pm

Sears is not known for their quality service. It is a miracle if you can find an associate on the floor. It's even more miraculous when the associate acknowledges your existence.

Trojanofpeace
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Dec 2017, 2:03 pm

Hi there, i'm new here and was going through the threads when I found your post, I was attracted to it because i'm sure everyone has experieced this! So I thought this was a good place to start, I hope I help.
What i've tried to do is focus on what i'm trying to acheive and prioritise that. So if I need somone to help me understand something, and I'm not getting anywhere due to their attitude then I either try to ignore it and rise above or politely say thanks and find someone else.
It's hard to not let emotion respond in these type of situations, but in hindsight i've often thought 'what kind of a day had that person had'? For all I know, that person that was rude to me had experienced a really hard time before I came along? I try now to not just think in hindsight, but have foresight too!
Pretentious people won't appreciate the comeback so it's potentially wasted energy and does not help you achieve what you set out to do. These people will always exist but they are outside our control.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2017, 7:58 pm

kokopelli wrote:
I wouldn't go back there ever again.

About 25 years ago I ran into a problem at a Sears store in the Baybrook Mall in Houston near the Johnson Space Center. I was looking for a new VCR and the saleswoman wouldn't let me handle the remotes at all and couldn't answer any questions. Instead, she just turned one on and started watching whatever demo tape was in it.

After about 15 seconds, I turned around and left and went to another store elsewhere where I had better service.

Oh, believe me, I will not be going back to that location as I was astonished at the low-quality person who felt insecure enough to sink to a level of snobbery. I was appalled at how willing she was to talk down to me like that which I felt was unprofessional. I was mad at her because I had just purchased something with the same Alexa technology and rather than helping me, she made me feel bad by correcting me.

LittleCoyoteKat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 8:07 pm

I give them a taste of their own medicine and if they claim I've poisoned them, so be it.

I usually talk to them like they're a mental patient. They hate it. Usually, they also understand WHY I've suddenly started talking to them like that and they change their attitude. If they don't and get angry, I tell them "Then don't be a dick." ... I don't recommend this btw, I've just lost most of my patience with rude people.

I am a Bookwyrm.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 8:19 pm

LittleCoyoteKat wrote:
I give them a taste of their own medicine and if they claim I've poisoned them, so be it.

I usually talk to them like they're a mental patient. They hate it. Usually, they also understand WHY I've suddenly started talking to them like that and they change their attitude. If they don't and get angry, I tell them "Then don't be a dick." ... I don't recommend this btw, I've just lost most of my patience with rude people.

Nice idea

LittleCoyoteKat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 8:29 pm

ladyelaine wrote:
LittleCoyoteKat wrote:

Nice idea

I just went through the "Sarcasm? Joke? No sarcasm? No joke? ... I don't know.." cycle, so I'm gonna take a stab at it and say it was just a sincere response. To which I shall reply.. LOL. It works. :shrug: The only time it didn't work and the person INSISTED that I was the rude one, I just walked away after staring at them dumbfounded.

I am a Bookwyrm.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 8:38 pm

LittleCoyoteKat wrote:
ladyelaine wrote:
LittleCoyoteKat wrote:

Nice idea

I just went through the "Sarcasm? Joke? No sarcasm? No joke? ... I don't know.." cycle, so I'm gonna take a stab at it and say it was just a sincere response. To which I shall reply.. LOL. It works. :shrug: The only time it didn't work and the person INSISTED that I was the rude one, I just walked away after staring at them dumbfounded.

That person shouldn't have been rude to you first. Who cares what idiots like that person think of us anyway?

LittleCoyoteKat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 8:56 pm

ladyelaine wrote:
LittleCoyoteKat wrote:
ladyelaine wrote:
LittleCoyoteKat wrote:

Nice idea

That person shouldn't have been rude to you first. Who cares what idiots like that person think of us anyway?

Agreed. Indeed my friend, indeed. :salut:

I am a Bookwyrm.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2018, 6:35 pm

I found some articles that might help you with that

https://www.prevention.com/mind-body/em ... ing-people

https://www.wikihow.com/Deal-with-Condescending-People

https://oureverydaylife.com/deal-patron ... 33428.html

Quote:

"Are you going to actually help me or just keep on correcting me?"

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

MissChess
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jan 2018, 6:40 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Quote:

I love this. Practical, to the point, and impossible to ignore.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2018, 6:41 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I found some articles that might help you with that

https://www.prevention.com/mind-body/em ... ing-people

https://www.wikihow.com/Deal-with-Condescending-People

https://oureverydaylife.com/deal-patron ... 33428.html

Quote:

Also a nice idea

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2018, 3:54 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
One of the things that bother me are people who have uppity or arrogant attitudes and think they are more important so they talk down to you?

Take today, for instance, I happened to check out an Amazon pop-store at a mall because I recently ordered a blue tooth speaker with Alexa technology while I have been waiting, I had wanted to get a feel for the technology and had trouble.

The sales rep working there was not only very unhelpful but she was extremely pretentious and thought it was okay to talk down to me.
1. While I was struggling to use Alexa on an Echo Dot, she said "That's not Alexa, it goes by computer."
2. Then when I attempted to asked if she owned an Alexa being that I wanted to know how one work she had the habit of correcting me, "It's not an Alexa it's an Amazon Echo."

I walked out mad by saying "I know that, I am not stupid. Don't talk to me like that" and left feeling like I didn't go anywhere.

I typically welcome corrections with the exception of when I feel the person is intentionally bullying me with technicalities. As for dealing with pretentious or arrogant people, it depends on the specific situation. I happened to be in an Amazon store the other day, and I did, in fact, find the salesperson a bit rude. In my case, I had expressed my frustration with barcodes instead of prices being listed on the shelf. The sales person quickly headed me off with what seemed to be a rote memory speech about the intention behind barcodes. I think this is likely a complaint they get more than a few times per day and the salesperson was just tired of dealing with the same complaint over and over when he had no way to address it. In other words, this was a person who hated their job. I remained polite though he probably thought I was a "b*tch" anyway as people tend to think that of women who raise issues.

I believe Amazon has begun it's descent in it's public image.

Another time I had a pretentious classmate who was not as great as he would have liked to have been. I remained civil to him but an NT classmate of mine lost her temper with him when he made a comment which she felt was ethnocentric and disenfranchised her demographic (it was, and it did) and she took him to task and managed to teach him a few things...I imagine her sentiments towards him had been boiling for a while.

In most situations, I just let pretentious and arrogant people be pretentious and arrogant. They typically aren't worth my time and if I think someone is pretentious and arrogant, chances are they are extremely pretentious and arrogant and most other people think it as well and the individual is fairly disliked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2018, 4:11 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:

I have two Alexas.

I would have said "If it answers to 'Alexa', then it's an "Alexa". If it answers to 'Amazon' (which it can be set for that), then it's an "Amazon Echo" in my book. Which is this one set to answer? (Most likely, it will be set to answer to Alexa). :mrgreen:

Most people will also probably not know that the name can be set to something different. It's always good to know something about the product you're looking at and then come back at them with something they probably don't know about their own product they are selling.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.