Is it a common to argue with gaming 'friends'?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Hamlet
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Nov 2017, 4:48 am

I play Battle tech Alpha Strike with one to three other people. I'm a new player so I'm not familiar with much if the rulebook. I misinterpret abilities even after asking veteran player C. The response he gave was convoluted. Mid game after taking an action player B started going on to player A and C. He was speaking to them about me saying, "Oh he probably got it off the internet and typed something in the card." This set me off because he is always speaking about the units I use. "A vtol shouldn't have that many armor points." I got into a argument that was getting pretty heated until player A stepped in and explained what the ability actually meant. It wasn't even about the game at that point. I just wanted to raise my voice towards him because every time a play a game with them there's always something said about my units.
I enjoy playing with these guys. I don't enjoy being badgered by player B & C. Is it healthy to argue with your gaming buddies time to time?

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2017, 1:10 pm

From time to time, sure. Disagreements happen. I think people need to "pick their battles," though, and ask what's really worth arguing about. Some people you'll meet are very stubborn and it's not worth the strain over a video game imo. It probably won't matter in a week, let alone a year.

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2017, 3:05 pm

Canary wrote:
From time to time, sure. Disagreements happen. I think people need to "pick their battles," though, and ask what's really worth arguing about. Some people you'll meet are very stubborn and it's not worth the strain over a video game imo. It probably won't matter in a week, let alone a year.

That's what my mother told me, "pick your battles wisely."

Mr_Miner
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Nov 2017, 5:46 pm

A lot of veterans of an game mock the new player. I don't know it seems weird to me. We all have to start sometime. Just keep playing if you enjoy it. Eventually you might beat one of them.

Hamlet
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Nov 2017, 8:20 pm

Thanks for the replies! I laughed at the thought of one day beating them. :mrgreen:

gamespeopleplay
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Dec 2017, 7:04 am

Maybe watch some tutorial videos on youtube or see if anyone has written a 'tricks and tips' tutorial for beginners. I like to do this whenever i start to play a new game, it kind of gives you a leg up and you can get a broader sense of the game. All the little details will fill in as you play more and as long as you are enjoying it you'll be pro in no time.