Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 6:00 am

Do you feel comfortable dining out alone? I didn't even realize this was something considered "abnormal" until very recently. I love dining out and since I never have anyone to go with, have been dining out alone for many, many years. Some people think it's awkward but I've never felt this way. Yes, I enjoy it more if I have someone I share interests with to talk to but that won't stop me from eating out alone. If I had to have someone to dine out with, I'd only eat out a few times a year.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 6:26 am

I totally agree with you...dining out alone is actually quite fun if you get over the initial awkwardness. To make things less awkward, I bring a magazine or book to read or text friends while I'm waiting for food.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Tintinnabulation
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2010, 7:56 am

Walter Benjamin stated in One-Way Street that "taking food alone tends to make one hard and coarse . . . for it is only in company that eating is done justice; food must be divided and distributed if it is to be well received."

I disagree entirely, although I'm still a fan of Benjamin's. However, if one does happen to be with other people, dining out can be fun, for there's no better situation in which to promote satisfying conversation.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 6:39 pm

I used to care what the public think but I don't now, Yeah I always do stuff on my own and don't care.

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 8:10 pm

It depends. When I lived in the city, it was common to see people eating out by themselves. Now I live in the suburbs and if I eat out by myself, it feels a lot more awkward. It also depends on the place and time. If a restaurant is really busy, I find the staff will get kind of frustrated with you if you're taking up a table by yourself.

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 8:43 pm

I prefer getting takeaway and eating at home - where if I'm alone I have books, can watch tv, surf the web, whatever, as I eat. I could take a book or something to a restaurant, but I still feel I have more choice at home.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

bully_on_speed
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 8:47 pm

dining out cand be socialble. but dining out alone is just eating. all you need to be concerned with is food

sketches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2010, 8:50 pm

I dunno, man. I've worked as a restaurant hostess for 3 to 4 years and still don't see the value of dining out, with company or without. Actually, I can totally see the point of getting a quick meal while you're on a business trip (therefore you won't be able to buy, make, or cook your own food). Myself, I agree with pbcoll; if I even bother going out to eat, then I just get it to take home.

But this doesn't seem to be your case. What do you folks enjoy when eating out of the house, alone? Bataar, what made you come to the realization that some people think dining alone is "abnormal"?

mcg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 11:30 pm

I go to restaurants alone all the time on account of me being a terrible cook. I actually prefer it alone because then I can scarf my food down without having to mix in conversation.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 6:00 am

I prefer to take food home, but I also love restaurant food, so I usually have to sit there. I'm fine with that though, especially if the restaurant stocks newspapers for the customers to read. That makes it even better.

But I usually just find a corner and sit there in the direction facing the least people, it still feels odd sometimes, even if it's just because you know people are watching you.

aleclair
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2010, 2:03 pm

I'm against the idea of going to a restaurant alone. Isn't half the point of going to a restaurant instead of doing take-out or cooking yourself to meet up with friends and enjoy time together?

I've debated this one with my mom a million times over - whether you can do "social activities" alone. We eventually stopped because we realized there was most likely a gender component - there are some things that guys are more accepted doing alone, and others that girls are more accepted doing alone.

In short, it's way too awkward to go to a restaurant alone. It's awkward enough waiting for a friend to show up for 10 minutes.

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 4:56 pm

sketches wrote:
What do you folks enjoy when eating out of the house, alone?

When I used to eat out alone, I enjoyed better food than I then knew how to cook, in a cleaner, nicer, and more spacious environment than I had at home, in a way that wouldn't require me to clean up afterwards. As for company, I preferred the company of the good books I would bring to that of most people.

I don't do it any more now that I'm married, have children, and have no free time, but I don't regret having done it. I've heard that it's considered strange, but who did they expect to seat at those postage stamp tables with two chairs but enough space for only one person's worth of food?

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 6:50 pm

Bataar wrote:
Do you feel comfortable dining out alone?
No, I am scared of people I do not know.

tektek
Bronze Supporter
Bronze Supporter

26 Feb 2010, 5:45 pm

anneurysm wrote:
I totally agree with you...dining out alone is actually quite fun if you get over the initial awkwardness. To make things less awkward, I bring a magazine or book to read or text friends while I'm waiting for food.

i have found this valid for myself also... even down to bringing something along to read and/or playing with my phone :thumleft:

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 6:58 pm

I've never brought anything to read when I go by myself. To me, that seems weird (no offense) :)

I go out simply because I want to eat the food at that restaurant and avoid making a mess that I'd have to clean up at home.

sketches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Feb 2010, 7:48 pm

Bataar wrote:
... and avoid making a mess that I'd have to clean up at home.

Oh, right, I forgot about the waiters who clean up after people. That is a major convenience.

Something I don't understand is the reason that people to dine out is for the "environment." Of course it's a personal preference, but unless your home is the size of a box, or the smell of it ruins your appetite, then what is the advantage? You like the way they decorate? (Something that psychohist mentioned, but this question isn't directed to him.)

Meh, I feel like I'm bashing this topic now. I guess it's just because I don't get it, so it frustrates me trying to understand it. I'm sorry for dissing you guys who happily eat out alone. I just (strongly) think there are so many better options. Maybe I'm just scared, like ursaminor.