What Does It Mean When a Random Stranger Smiles at Me?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 3:24 pm

Okay, I have read that a member of the opposite sex who smiles and makes eye contact probably is interested in getting to know me (possibly romantically). And I do understand it when there is a shared experience between myself and a stranger; for instance, if something weird happens on the subway one day, which I experience as well as the other people on the train, I can understand passing a smile or a look of connection. But what does it mean if some random person of the same sex, and with no common experience, tries to get my attention and smile? Maybe they are trying to make a connection...but why? What´s the point? And why me?

I realize that when this happens, I´m probably "supposed" to smile back. But somehow, this feels hard for me. It feels fake, for one thing. I´ve tried to smile back sometimes, but I can´t quite muster a smile, at best maybe a half smile, and I have trouble looking at the person. Does anyone know what this is supposed to mean???

Of course, as I sometimes have trouble recognizing people´s faces, there is the worrying thought that maybe I actually know these people from somewhere....

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 3:29 pm

They might just be trying to be friendly. I don't think it means anything in particular.

y es como un semestre"

ike
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 3:40 pm

They might be seeing you and misinterpreting your body language as being upset and trying to cheer you up.

Ixtli
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jan 2009, 3:46 pm

I wouldn't make much of it. I've found that the meanings of that sort of thing vary, but generally, without further cues or communication, it's probably as gina-ghettoprincess says; they're just being sociable.

I might be wrong, though. I have trouble with those situations too; I just choose not to worry about them.

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 5:30 pm

I'm not sure about "normal" people, but when I smile at random strangers it's because there's something interesting about them. Maybe crazy hair, jewelery, tatts, maybe just dancing to the music in their head. Something that gets my attention and makes me think "oh cool."

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 7:52 pm

You can't read anything into it, whatever it means. It's only for a split second and what you describe usually happens when passing someone on the street in opposite directions, never to be seen again. It's not the place they expect to make any connection with you in the first place, neither can you expect it with them.

ronzo229
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jan 2009, 8:24 pm

Smiling is a way to get positive attention or a nonverbal way to say hello. It means to a neurotypical that they are happy people and the selfless act of making someone else happy (by smiling) because the other person is recognized positively. Its complex to explain. :?

Ixtli
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jan 2009, 9:19 pm

ronzo229 wrote:

Quote:
Smiling is a way to get positive attention or a nonverbal way to say hello. It means to a neurotypical that they are happy people and the selfless act of making someone else happy (by smiling) because the other person is recognized positively. Its complex to explain.

Oh, I'm sure the effort's appreciated. And I kind of understand what you're saying. It's interesting, anyway.

Dokken
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2009, 4:01 am

ike wrote:
They might be seeing you and misinterpreting your body language as being upset and trying to cheer you up.

People do that to me sometimes. They sometimes ask why do I look so angry and Inever know how to respond

BellaDonna
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2009, 6:18 am

Morgana wrote:
Okay, I have read that a member of the opposite sex who smiles and makes eye contact probably is interested in getting to know me (possibly romantically). And I do understand it when there is a shared experience between myself and a stranger; for instance, if something weird happens on the subway one day, which I experience as well as the other people on the train, I can understand passing a smile or a look of connection. But what does it mean if some random person of the same sex, and with no common experience, tries to get my attention and smile? Maybe they are trying to make a connection...but why? What´s the point? And why me?

I realize that when this happens, I´m probably "supposed" to smile back. But somehow, this feels hard for me. It feels fake, for one thing. I´ve tried to smile back sometimes, but I can´t quite muster a smile, at best maybe a half smile, and I have trouble looking at the person. Does anyone know what this is supposed to mean???

Of course, as I sometimes have trouble recognizing people´s faces, there is the worrying thought that maybe I actually know these people from somewhere....

I get this and I think what do you think I am special needs person! and when I have this look :x (which sometimes I am unaware) people eithier go :x back or they laugh. I hate that, it is so patronising and it has set me off losing my temper when I am already in a stressed out or bad mood.

spockezri
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jan 2009, 8:54 am

ike wrote:

This happens to me so much.
Random person - Why are you so sad?
Me - I'm just thinking about the world and how messed up it is.
RP - I'm sorry *sometimes - cheer up emo kid or do you need a friend*
Me - It's okay

You and I must fight for our rights,
You and I must fight to survive.

BellaDonna
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2009, 8:58 am

I've had men follow me around corners to see if I was ok. I wasn't even upset. Then I do get upset! Paranoid atleast.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2009, 3:37 pm

ronzo229 wrote:
Smiling is a way to get positive attention or a nonverbal way to say hello. It means to a neurotypical that they are happy people and the selfless act of making someone else happy (by smiling) because the other person is recognized positively. Its complex to explain. :?

But thanks a lot for explaining it! That´s helpful for me, anyway. Maybe when that happens the next time, I´ll be able to muster a real smile back.

spockezri
Toucan
Toucan

02 Feb 2009, 10:20 am

BellaDonna wrote:
I've had men follow me around corners to see if I was ok. I wasn't even upset. Then I do get upset! Paranoid atleast.

Oh yeah, people who say "don't worry" make me worry so much!

You and I must fight for our rights,
You and I must fight to survive.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 11:31 am

spockezri wrote:
Oh yeah, people who say "don't worry" make me worry so much!

I agree, and saying "relax!" is even worse. It's like telling a mountain climber not to look down.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 1:52 pm

They may smile if you are smiling. However people will often smile at people who in their opinion are dressed funny, inappropriate or in lowcut jeans that are showing their rear. I've noticed when I wear strange things or spike my hair I get smiles, or rather smirks. Also if I do strange things like stare at my feet, stutter or otherwise seem awkward people smile at that. I've observed other Aspies be awkward in front of others and get smiled at. Its kinda a looking down at the ret*d person kind of response. Its not a positive smile.

I've always been a people watcher so I observe others behaviors whenever I am out.